Page 39 of 60 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Success at 60 page 39

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Uselis View Post
    Hello sir,

I don't know if its proper place to ask so sorry in advance if I spammed the thread

Reading whole thread seems you're doing most of the time low carb even with wieght trainning. So I want to ask is 150g carbs (with some starch on harder days) for normal weight male is safe amount to target? I do 3 times strength trainning but not using any weights just some gymnastic stuff, sprint once, walk a bunch and play once a week. Not looking to loose weight just in general feel good and eat without restricting myself.

Thanks
    Hi Uselis, thanks for taking the time to read through my thread. I posted the following on another thread but I feel it answers your question. Wishing you all the best in your journey!

There are a lot of different perspectives to the carb discussion and everyone on here will chip in overtime to comment on their personal experiences and points of view. Personally my first 4 months were strict Paleo LC with periods of VLC. It was during this time that my body returned to a healthy body weight dropping from around 215 lbs down to 165 lbs. Weight loss was my focus and my fitness programming was secondary. Once I reached my weight goal my focus switched to fitness and I adjusted my diet to Primal with a focus on peak performance, building muscle and maintaining a low body fat %. I strategically increased my carbs to coincide with training intensity to maximize muscle growth and ramp up my metabolism. My carbs are what I would call clean in a Primal sense - vegetables, fruits, some nuts and seeds and occasionally white rice and even some gluten free pasta every once in a while. A high carb day for me would be in the 150 to 250 gm. range but most days I stay under 150 gms. So in my opinion depending on where you are in your journey to health and what your goals are should impact your level of carbohydrate consumption, I also feel that age makes a difference and those over 50 can maintain a LC diet easier that those who are younger, especially if you are under 30. If your focus is on quick weight loss then stay LC with periods of VLC until you reach your weight loss goals, during this period slowly introduce more physical activity - long walks, begin some body weight exercises and throw in a few sprints once a week. Once you reach your weight loss goals begin ramping up your fitness program by adding in some weight training and getting more serious about High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). This formula worked for me and I believe it will work for most people. However it is an individual thing and each of us have to experiment to see what works best for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    I've been away a while assessing a couple of teams doing their Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award expeditions in the Lake District last week. Got back, did some washing, then picked up my wife from our older daughter's yesterday.

Picture taken from Dale Head last Tuesday.

Nigel

Attachment 12842
    Thanks for posting the photo Nigel. Beautiful view, it must have been quite a hike getting up there!

September always feels like a month of new beginnings to me. Great time to recommit to better health!

Here's my latest blog for the Peak Performance website where I talk about my top 5 rules for getting in shape. We are attempting to build an audience for this site and I would greatly appreciate if you took the time to read and share the blog....Thanks!

My Top 5 Rules for Getting in Shape by John Saville - Peak Performance Radio

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Thanks for posting the photo Nigel. Beautiful view, it must have been quite a hike getting up there!
    It was a challenge for me as I'd done Blencathra, a bigger hill in the morning. Left my car at this picture's location in Honister Pass to walk up to Dale Head.

Honister Pass.jpg

I put on 6lbs over our holiday and last week with the fish & chips, wine and other carbs I consumed. Now to lose that and another 14lbs or so before Christmas.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

It was a challenge for me as I'd done Blencathra, a bigger hill in the morning. Left my car at this picture's location in Honister Pass to walk up to Dale Head.

Honister Pass.jpg

I put on 6lbs over our holiday and last week with the fish & chips, wine and other carbs I consumed. Now to lose that and another 14lbs or so before Christmas.
    You can do it! As I said September is a great time for a re-commitment to health.

APPLEGIRL is offline Senior Member

Honister Pass.jpg

Beautiful Pics! Thanks for sharing. My husband and I are starting this fall to hike the 46 high peaks in the Adirondacks. Will probably take us a few years to complete all 46. We're very excited. Now that the kids are up and out, we can do more of this. We used to drag them all over the hills and trails when they were younger, then they got to be older teens, so we got busy, and we were less apt to do big hikes.

I'm with you canuck, September is a wonderful time to recommit to healthy living!

As someone who believes in the vital importance of an active life I would highly recommend this Facebook page for teachers and parents and of course all of us Grand Parents. Full of great ideas oh how to keep students fit, energetic and ready to learn. Please "Like" it and share with any teachers you know...Thanks

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fizik...37088569668635
    Last edited by canuck416; 09-04-2013 at 11:23 AM.

This blog is probably most important to us women and men over 50. Take a few moments to give it a read and let me know if your Testosterone levels benefited from a Paleo or Primal diet in this way?

Have you had your testosterone levels checked? Most of the food you have been eating your entire life has estrogenic effects. Your milk and beef is modified with hormones, fruits and vegetables are sprayed with pesticides and herbicides, your water is laced with estrogen enhancing chemicals, soy has been shown to raise estrogen levels and is an ingredient added to almost all processed foods and a large percentage of all food and drink is stored in plastic which seeps estrogen enhancing chemicals. It's been my experience that the Paleo/Primal diet and exercise program can help restore your T- Levels.

http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...n-saville.html

I'm beginning to write a book on Fitness and Health at 50 and beyond. Part of my concept will include 50 stories of people who live a healthy, fit and vibrant life after the age of 50. If you are someone who fits this description and would be okay with me putting a picture and short health and fitness related bio in the book please contact me with a personal message...Thanks!

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    If you are someone who fits this description and would be okay with me putting a picture and short health and fitness related bio in the book please contact me with a personal message...Thanks!
    Not as fit as you but I am healthy and more fit than a lot of people over 60.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Page 39 of 60 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast