Page 29 of 59 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Success at 60 page 29

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Very interesting insight as Kristen moves from Vegan to Paleo - definitely worth a read.

My Vegan Diet Caused Health Problems. Would Primal, Paleo, Or “Real Food” Be Better? Kristen's Raw
    Thanks for posting this article/blog. My sister, who has a 3-1/2 year old, and my 21-year old daughter are vegetarian. I'm noticing now how unhealthy my sister is looking (she is 43), and I have concerns for her child. Having a dialogue with either my sister, or my daughter are fruitless. There is this mentality around being vegetarian that is cult-like. I try not to say anything to my sister about her lifestyle choice, because it's not really appropriate for me to do so, but it's hard to remain silent. My lovely sister mention she was having her hair done and some botox in her face a few weeks ago. I asked her if it wouldn't be cheaper to just eat some meat and fat. I know, I know --- I have to mind my own business. What's strange is the fact that she is willing to have crazy injections with chemicals injected into her face, but is opposed to eating protein. Anyway, I'm finished venting .... :-)
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    Thanks for posting this article/blog. My sister, who has a 3-1/2 year old, and my 21-year old daughter are vegetarian. I'm noticing now how unhealthy my sister is looking (she is 43), and I have concerns for her child. Having a dialogue with either my sister, or my daughter are fruitless. There is this mentality around being vegetarian that is cult-like. I try not to say anything to my sister about her lifestyle choice, because it's not really appropriate for me to do so, but it's hard to remain silent. My lovely sister mention she was having her hair done and some botox in her face a few weeks ago. I asked her if it wouldn't be cheaper to just eat some meat and fat. I know, I know --- I have to mind my own business. What's strange is the fact that she is willing to have crazy injections with chemicals injected into her face, but is opposed to eating protein. Anyway, I'm finished venting .... :-)
    I hear you, I have had similar trying conversations with Vegetarian friends. I have tried a different approach, I don't focus on meat rather I encouraged them to go grain and soy free, to eliminate vegetable oils, trans fats and HFC. I have several friends who are embrassing this approach with good results.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    I'm back from my Duke of Edinburg Award duties. Attachment 11321 The picture is the back of Plover Hill towards Pen Y Ghent in the Yorkshire Dales.
    Thanks for posting Nigel, I'd love to hike this area some day. Is this picture in the Yorkshire Dales National Park? If I understand it correctly, Dale is a Nordic/Gemanic term that means valley, so I assume the area has a lot of interesting valleys to explore. Have you visted any of the caves systems? They look very interesting.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    I'd love to hike this area some day.

Is this picture in the Yorkshire Dales National Park?

If I understand it correctly, Dale is a Nordic/Gemanic term that means valley, so I assume the area has a lot of interesting valleys to explore.

Have you visted any of the caves systems? They look very interesting.
    It's great walking country and has a unique character.

I don't think it is part of the National Park, but, being England can't be far off!

Yep, lots of river valleys, and pubs.

I don't do going down small holes/potholing, so no I haven't.

I'm off to the Lake District at the back end of August for five days assessing two D of E Gold expedition teams. We'll drive up one day, then they'll do their four day expedition and we'll drive back down as soon as they finish.

I must now get back in the swing of primal food and some exercise as I have over indulged with beer and wine calories over the last month or so. I'll be doing my weekly strength training today and now the weather is a bit more warm & dry, I'll have a go at sprinting (well, running as fast as I can) on grass tomorrow.

I shall be having a check up with my doctor Tuesday next week. I had a blood test last month and my Cholesterol is "very high" at 7.5 UK or 290 USA. However, on reading Griff's cholesterol primer I see that my ratios are fine. No doubt we'll discuss this and I shall have to explain why I wanted the readings (not supplied here) for LDL Pattern A and Pattern B.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

I shall be having a check up with my doctor Tuesday next week. I had a blood test last month and my Cholesterol is "very high" at 7.5 UK or 290 USA. However, on reading Griff's cholesterol primer I see that my ratios are fine. No doubt we'll discuss this and I shall have to explain why I wanted the readings (not supplied here) for LDL Pattern A and Pattern B.
    Good luck with your doctor. If he is a CW Doc expect a lot of pressure to go on Statins. Perhaps, if you are feeling comfortable iwth your ratios, you should pass on seeing the doctor, not sure what he will be able to offer you. Although you might be able to educate him!

If he is a CW Doc expect a lot of pressure to go on Statins. Perhaps, if you are feeling comfortable iwth your ratios, you should pass on seeing the doctor, not sure what he will be able to offer you. Although you might be able to educate him!
    I certainly thinks she's CW, however I am quite sales resistant and in no mood to be astatinated. I did also take medication for high blood pressure and late onset asthma. I have been able to give them up too and I just want a general health check as my father pegged out at age 64. I will also take some evidence to show her with regards to cholesterol and heart disease as I know she has been impressed with my weight loss and ability to stop taking the two BP meds.

Did my weekly strength training before lunch and have decided to do more bits and pieces of body weight more often.

One thing about going Primal/Paleo is that I have learned to research stuff myself so that I can make more informed decisions about what I am doing with my body and mind.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

I certainly thinks she's CW, however I am quite sales resistant and in no mood to be astatinated. I did also take medication for high blood pressure and late onset asthma. I have been able to give them up too and I just want a general health check as my father pegged out at age 64. I will also take some evidence to show her with regards to cholesterol and heart disease as I know she has been impressed with my weight loss and ability to stop taking the two BP meds.

Did my weekly strength training before lunch and have decided to do more bits and pieces of body weight more often.

One thing about going Primal/Paleo is that I have learned to research stuff myself so that I can make more informed decisions about what I am doing with my body and mind.
    It's probably a good idea based on your family history and I am sure you will keep her recommendations in perspective. Apologies for assuming the doctor was male - good grief total faux pas!

total faux pas!
    These things happen. Although, for me it'd be a total cockup.

Since starting my primal journey I have found that doctors don't know it all. In fact, I suspect I now know a lot more about nutrition, cholesterol, weight loss strategy, fitness and my body than she does.

Its spring! Time to add some muscle and lower the body fat.

Over the years I've experimented with all types of training from triathlon to crossfit types of training before it was called Crossfit. Its my personal experience that weight training is by far the fastest way to change the look of your body. Combine weight training with the Paleo/Primal diet and you have the best possible combination. What works best for me is training body parts twice a week along with two interval workouts at the track. Here is my current workout, I'm usually working out in the gym for about 45 minutes per session, take a 1 minute rest between sets, and use supersets to intensify the workout. Keep in mind this is not a beginner routine but it can be modified to any level of strength and conditioning:

Mondays and Thursdays - Chest and Back (Flat and Incline BB Bench Press, Pullups, Seated Pully Row, Supine DB Laterals, One Arm DB Row, Dips and DB Stiff Arm Pullovers)

Tuesday and Fridays - Morning - Shoulders and Arms (Seated DB Press, DB Lateral Raises, Bent over DB Laterals, DB Curls, Tricep Pressdowns, Scott Curls, Tricep Pushbacks) - Afternoon - Intervals at the track 10 X100 meter sprints

Wednesdays and Saturdays - Legs (Squats, Hack Squats, Thigh Extensions, Leg Curls, Calf Raises)

Sunday - Rest Day

Diet - Back to basics - High fat, medium protein, low carbs Monday thru Saturday, Sunday is a refeed day, high carb, low fat. Old school body building diet for the next month - lots of Steaks and Eggs baby!
    Last edited by canuck416; 04-26-2013 at 07:14 AM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I Here is my current workout
    Far too much for my lazy carcass. I do intend to do more low impact gardening as well as the daily walks to town for shopping, and, will increase the number of press ups, squats, chair dips and sit ups I do in a day though. I think I'll stick with my weekly strength training, unless I feel lively and put in another session during a seven day period.

I have not lost any weight for months now and must cut down (or out) the pistachios and mixed nuts of an evening.

Page 29 of 59 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast