Page 27 of 55 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Success at 60 page 27

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Very true. Mindfulness begins within and emanates out from there.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    "Here's a picture of the Canadian Memorial at St Julien just outside Ypres/Ieper."

Thanks for posting Nigel. My Canadian grandfather fought in Europe during WWI in the cavalry and the trenches. I have very fond memories of times shared with him describing his experiences.

Eating a paleo or ancestral diet has led to many interesting debates as it tends to buck conventional wisdom. The most passionate arguments have come from some vegetarians who seem to have an almost cult like fundamentalist perspective. I find vegetarians are a mix of three perspectives. The moral vegetarians who believe that it’s possible to eat a diet that includes no animal suffering or animal deaths. The political vegetarians who believe that if everyone was a vegetarian, we could feed the world and stop various kinds of environmental destruction. And the nutritional vegetarians think that animal products are the root of all dietary evil and lead to heart disease and cancer. All these issues are important and worthy of consideration. The following link articulates a counter perspective to these arguments.

Read more at Why vegetarianism will not save the world | Matador Network

My Top 3 Rules for Getting in Shape - During this last year on the Paleo/Primal diet I have been experimenting with a variety of training programs and getting great results. Here is what I've learned:

Lifting Weights is King - Lifting builds muscle, muscle burns fat, muscle ups your metabolism, increases testosterone (yes this is also important for women) and HGH.

Nutrition is Queen - You all know this, you can't get into shape eating twinkies, soda’s, and McDonalds all day. Eating high fat, high-medium protein, and low carb is the best route. Fat is essential for building testosterone, testosterone is essential for building muscle. Eat organic, local, pastured and free range to avoid toxins as much as possible. Get your carbs from starchy tubers not grains. Intermittent fast (skip breakfast, eat your first meal at noon) 3 days a week.

Cardio is Prince - Avoid chronic cardio and focus on interval training twice a week - intense physical exertion with periods of rest. Endless miles of jogging is actually counterproductive to overall conditioning, lowers testosterone, causes continuous systemic inflammation, severely suppresses other parts of your immune system and the increased oxidative damage will slowly tear apart your precious muscle and joint tissue.

These rules worked for me and I believe they will work for most everyone. I am healthier, leaner and better overall conditioned at 60 than anytime since my 30s. Try them for a couple of months and be amazed.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    My Top 3 Rules for Getting in Shape -
    I'm constantly amazed at how few people "get" this. Lift weights, eat clean, move around. Glad you're doing so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    I'm constantly amazed at how few people "get" this. Lift weights, eat clean, move around. Glad you're doing so well.
    Thanks! I know, pretty simple really.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    These rules worked for me
    Working for me too. I'm not as dedicated as you but I am making progress at a pace that suits my wants.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Here's something for your Vegetarian friends who see the benefits of eating Primal but for moral reasons just can't get their head around eating meat -

Paleo for Vegetarians? | Paleo Diet Lifestyle

This is so cool! Please watch and share. Ron Finley plants vegetable gardens in South Central LA -- in abandoned lots, traffic medians, along the curbs. Why? For fun, for defiance, for beauty and to offer some alternative to fast food in a community where "the drive-thrus are killing more people than the drive-bys."

Ron Finley: A guerilla gardener in South Central LA - YouTube

I went to the American Heart Association website to check out their nutritional recommendations. Wow! They are still recommending 6-8 servings of grains per day and vegetable oils and magarine over butter. Eating like this is what is causing heart disease and obesity. What does 8 servings of grain look like - that would be 8 slices of bread or 4 cups of Rice...Unbelievable!

Page 27 of 55 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast