Page 24 of 60 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Success at 60 page 24

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    As Mark says - "Moving frequently (at a slow pace) is the foundation of Primal fitness. It’s what we are meant to do most often, and what we should be able to do – walk around our environment for long periods of time without tiring or complaining about sore joints or needing to stop every few minutes to rest. Regular movement keeps us moving. And yeah, it “burns calories,” but the main reason to move slowly and frequently is to stay mobile, healthy, and alert long into old age."

Mini-challenge: Shoot for 10,000 steps a day. The average American gets just 5,000, which qualifies as “sedentary.” Don’t be sedentary. It feels bad to be out of breath after a couple blocks or a flight of stairs, and it’s really easy to avoid that. Still, 10,000 steps seems like a lot. Why, that’s nearly five miles!

Investing in a pedometer or activity monitor is an inexpensive, fun and effective tool to help you keep track of your steps and activity

Walk4Life - Pedometers - Pedometer

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    I have hopefully just started down from the 180-183lb plateau I have been on for five weeks. 178lbs this morning.

I have to admit that I don't usually clock up five miles in a day but I do press ups, dips, squats and sit ups most days too. Then there's my once a week strength training session.

Now to go and look at the 100 press ups challenge work outs.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    I have hopefully just started down from the 180-183lb plateau I have been on for five weeks. 178lbs this morning.

I have to admit that I don't usually clock up five miles in a day but I do press ups, dips, squats and sit ups most days too. Then there's my once a week strength training session.

Wow 178 awesome! I see 175 as a nice target over the next couple of weeks.

janie is offline Senior Member
    I believe you're right. OTOH, I used to say "As long as I can do everything I want I'm fine." Then at 5' 11" I got to 240 lbs last March 7th. THAT was my wake up call. I have hit a plateau at 180 - 183 lbs but I know that if I keep the strength training up and eat properly I will eventually find my ideal look.
    I hit so many plateaus as I was losing. It can be frustrating, but as you say, continuing to eat properly and strength train will pay off.

I wish I had taken measures in the beginning. Not just body circumference measures, but also PBF and other muscle/fat/water measures that I now have done every 6 months by my doctor on an impedance machine. I'm looking forward to the next one as it is a great way to measure my progress. I think I probably don't want to lose more, but I'd like to continue replacing fat with muscle. From the first measure (fairly along in my weight loss), the PBF has dropped from 27 to 19.4. I feel if we just continue on, we will reach our goals.

Nice drop on the scale!

Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    As Mark says - "Moving frequently (at a slow pace) is the foundation of Primal fitness. It’s what we are meant to do most often, and what we should be able to do – walk around our environment for long periods of time without tiring or complaining about sore joints or needing to stop every few minutes to rest. Regular movement keeps us moving. And yeah, it “burns calories,” but the main reason to move slowly and frequently is to stay mobile, healthy, and alert long into old age."

Mini-challenge: Shoot for 10,000 steps a day. The average American gets just 5,000, which qualifies as “sedentary.” Don’t be sedentary. It feels bad to be out of breath after a couple blocks or a flight of stairs, and it’s really easy to avoid that. Still, 10,000 steps seems like a lot. Why, that’s nearly five miles!

Investing in a pedometer or activity monitor is an inexpensive, fun and effective tool to help you keep track of your steps and activity

Walk4Life - Pedometers - Pedometer
    This is something I need to work on. We walk much more when the weather is nice, but in the winter, I spend too much time in the cave, LOL.

One of the arguments used by vegetarians is that meat production and livestock is not sustainable and contributes to global warming. This incredible Ted Talk proves this is not only not true, but reintroducing large herds of livestock to simulate ancient vast herds that traversed our plains is crucial to preventing desertification. Please watch and pass it on.

Allan Savory: How to green the desert and reverse climate change | Video on TED.com

Stacy15 is offline Senior Member
    I've read your posts from time to time and have to say what an inspiration you are. Not just to the "older folks" but to those younger as well. Stories like yours are what makes me realize I'm on the right path, and hope someday I could keep up with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Stacy15 View Post
    I've read your posts from time to time and have to say what an inspiration you are. Not just to the "older folks" but to those younger as well. Stories like yours are what makes me realize I'm on the right path, and hope someday I could keep up with you!
    Thanks Stacey! Great to hear from you and I wish you much success on your Paleo Journey!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for posting the TedTalk link, Canuck. It is an exciting idea.

Page 24 of 60 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast