Page 23 of 57 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Success at 60 page 23

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by janie View Post
    Hi Canuck-
    Congratulations on your great success! I'm an elder as well (age 67). I started working on my health in 2009, starting with Atkins and then moving to a low carb paleo eating plan to continue weight loss. I lost 70 lbs and at a normal BMI, but the other great benefits have been increased energy, lowered blood pressure, improved lipid panel, a huge reduction in joint pain, and improved skin. I now work out at the gym 3x a week and do a yoga class, activities I had no energy for before. I think many people over 50 are resigned about their health/weight and don't realize that great improvement is still possible.
    Wow Janie, fantastic results! I am sure your are an inspiration to many. It truly is amazing how a change to this type of diet and lifestyle transforms how one feels, I feel excatly like I did in my 30s. Yesterday I was chasing my 2 year old twin grandkids around the room, rolling around the floor, playfully roughousing with them and having a grand old time. It got me to thinking there aren't many grandparents able to play with their grandchildren this way, pretty cool!

janie is offline Senior Member
    Thank you. My husband didn't need to lose weight but has found that eating primal has greatly diminished heartburn. He also feels more energetic and has now really taken on the gym with a vengeance. I know people who feel tired and have correctable health issues but who won't consider a change in their CW diet. They tell me I am "aging well" as though I had some magic wand when, in fact, they could feel better too if they gave up junk. I don't preach at them. What's the point, eh? But I expect that those of us who have found this way of eating will continue to improve.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I'm 58, have lost 50 pounds so far and put on so much muscle I may be at or near my goal weight. I am currently doing 22 pushups and working on my first chin-up.

I think it's sad that there is basically no research done on attaining optimum health for older people. When I wanted to look up optimal body fat ranges for post menopausal women, I found that all the research that had been done was intended to prevent what was considered inevitable decline, the assumption being that older women simply cannot improve their health and fitness, so why bother even asking the questions?

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Canuck, I don't post often but I read this thread every time there's something new!

I'm 4 years and 2 months away from being 60. I've registered for the Crossfit Open. After 10 years of being a skier, I (somewhat!) learned to snowboard this winter.

I had the advantage of being raised by a mom who was 80% primal before "paleo" was coined. I raised my three kids the same way, and love seeing them enjoy healthy, active lives. My oldest survived Navy SEAL training, my middle kid is a rock climber, and my youngest, who's also a Crossfitter, will be 30 in less than a week... yikes... !!!

One of the great benefits of this way of life is seeing it work for the next generation.

Thanks eKatherine and Goldie, it's so great to hear about everyone's successes! I really believe that we can change the perception of aging by sharing our personal journey's with others. I think that a Paleo/Primal lifestyle has it's greatest impact on those over 50 and we can make a huge difference in helping people improve their health through leading by example and spreading the word with our family, friends and doctors.

LOL. My internist preached low fat high carb to me endlessly. Along w/statins. Observing my ongoing weight loss and improved labs, he finally and RELUCTANTLY said that he "couldn't argue with success". His nurse told me privately that while he was impressed w/my results, he couldn't recommend my lifestyle to others because doctors must adhere to the AMA "standards of care" or risk a lawsuit. Sad isn't it?

LOL. My internist preached low fat high carb to me endlessly. Along w/statins. Observing my ongoing weight loss and improved labs, he finally and RELUCTANTLY said that he "couldn't argue with success". His nurse told me privately that while he was impressed w/my results, he couldn't recommend my lifestyle to others because doctors must adhere to the AMA "standards of care" or risk a lawsuit. Sad isn't it?
    Pathetic really. However times are changing there is now a network of over 2000 Paleo Physicians dedicated to changing conventional wisdom...Paleo Physicians Network

Thank you so much for those lists. While I don't see a doc near me, I expect these lists will grow, so I will keep checking. I'm pretty much done with my doc.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    I think many people over 50 are resigned about their health/weight and don't realize that great improvement is still possible.
    I believe you're right. OTOH, I used to say "As long as I can do everything I want I'm fine." Then at 5' 11" I got to 240 lbs last March 7th. THAT was my wake up call. I have hit a plateau at 180 - 183 lbs but I know that if I keep the strength training up and eat properly I will eventually find my ideal look.

You're the same age as my wife. She doesn't believe in giving up grains etc but she keeps herself trim, goes to keep fit classes twice a week and Tai Chi one evening. We both walk into town virtually every day with me carrying the shopping home in a rucksack. I'm off to a WW1 Battlefields trip (I've been invited to help supervise students) briefing at the school I used to work at this evening. It will be the third time I've walked a bit over a mile each way today.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Page 23 of 57 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast