Page 20 of 57 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Success at 60 page 20

canuck416 is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    Canuck, what is the cost of the calipers? And what is the accuracy of the device?
    Thanks/Lu
    Hi Louisa, the Skyndex calipers are a bit pricey ($450) but have been an industry standard for years and are very accurate. You can purchase them on their website -

Skyndex Digital Skinfold Body Fat Caliper 4-Site Durnin Formula
    Last edited by canuck416; 02-02-2013 at 09:03 AM.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    thanks!
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Interesting video on the ketogenic diet and battling cancer. Highly recommend taking a few moments to check it out.

Starving Cancer: Ketogenic Diet a Key to Recovery - CBN.com - YouTube!

Beautiful sunny day in NorCal! Just finished a great set of Intervals at the high school track. There is nothing more invigorating than all out sprints on crisp clear morning - burns fat, drives up the HGH. Here are some benefits of one of my favorite forms of exercise -

Sprinting offers more than just calorie burning. Certain enzymes become abundant within the body each time sprinting occurs. These enzymes, along with normal cell functions, help the body store more calories and energy within the muscle tissue rather than the fat storages within the body. Through this process, the body steadily depletes all of its fat storages that normally account for weight gain.

Sprinting also increases the amount of impact training involved in a workout regimen. The high level of impact involved in sprinting increases bone strength and density. Impact exercises also aid the building of new muscle tissue around the bones and throughout the rest of the body.

Sprinting naturally increases the body's endurance strength, making longer cardio and muscle strengthening training sessions easier to complete. Through sprinting and speed training exercises, the body increases its ability to store oxygen, which helps the muscles function in all forms of exercise.

Another benefit directly related to sprinting involves the increase in mitochondria size. These cell parts store the energy consumed through food sources, then release the energy to the parts of the body that require and endure work or repair. In other words, working muscles receive more energy, because cells become better suited to store and release energy in an efficient manner, ultimately increasing growth.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Another milestone. Weighed myself yesterday morning. 180 lbs so I have lost 60 lbs since March 7th last year. Still can't see my abs and believe I must have another 15-20 pounds of fat to get rid of. I expect it's going to be harder to lose weight now. I shall continue with the body and free weight exercises I have been doing, in the hope that if I bulk my shoulders it will stop the skin of my belly flolloping.

Just about managed one chin up and one full bodyweight dip this morning. Still nowhere near a pull up though but know it's just a matter of time.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    Another milestone. Weighed myself yesterday morning. 180 lbs so I have lost 60 lbs since March 7th last year. Still can't see my abs and believe I must have another 15-20 pounds of fat to get rid of. I expect it's going to be harder to lose weight now. I shall continue with the body and free weight exercises I have been doing, in the hope that if I bulk my shoulders it will stop the skin of my belly flolloping.

Just about managed one chin up and one full bodyweight dip this morning. Still nowhere near a pull up though but know it's just a matter of time.
    Way to go! Sounds like you continue to make progress. My goal is to do an unassisted pull up this year (or two :0) /Lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post

60 lbs. is an amazing accomplishment, congratulations!

You started Paleo/Primal about the same time I did. I started at 213 and now consistantly weigh between 168 and 170 lbs. Just wondering how tall you are (I'm 5'11")? My abs really started to show at about 175 and I recently had my body fat checked and currently I'm right at 10%. Once you loose another 10 lbs I predict you will definitely be doing chin-ups an dips.

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    My goal is to do an unassisted pull up this year (or two :0) /Lu
    That's a goal of mine too! Just about managed a chin up and a full weight dip yesterday but nowhere near a pull up yet.

I added another 10 lbs to the rucksack I do squats with and still managed 20. It now contains two bags of sand and 40 lbs of weights, but it's really awkward balancing with it and I just noticed I am not getting my legs totally bent as one does with no weight. I think I'll go back to the drawing board and take weight out to be able to get the full squat effect, and, concentrate on good form in future. I suppose that's the trouble with not having somebody watching for mistakes.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Nigel, I take it that you're wearing your rucksack on your back when you do squats? You might try Zercher squats. It's a kind of "front" squat, and the change where you hold the weight makes them harder (and therefore you'll need less weight for an "equal" workout).

Here's a relatively good example: Ultimate Sandbag Training Zercher Squat Exercise - YouTube

The girl demonstrating has great back posture, but IMO, she should have her feet a little wider, and her toes pointed out a bit. In any squat, it's important to protect your knees as well as your back, so whenever you do squats, be sure to keep your knees out. The tendency is to let the knees collapse in toward the center, and that's when you get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Just wondering how tall you are (I'm 5'11")? My abs really started to show at about 175 and I recently had my body fat checked and currently I'm right at 10%.
    I'm 5' 11" too but I am sure I have not been as strict with the diet or exercise as you have. Pulled something on Thursday, and there's a lump to the left side of my chest, so haven't done any upper body since then. It was still not quite right today but I'm hoping to be able to use it tomorrow, Monday being my lift heavy stuff day.

Having a naughty evening tonight. German lager and potato crisps (chips) while watching the Superbowl.

Page 20 of 57 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast