Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Success at 60 page 18

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Beautiful spring like morning in NoCal, woke up and decided to do a 3 mile tempo run to see where my fitness is. Ran it in 23:51, not real fast but not bad for a 60 year old. First time I've broken an 8 minute mile average in a very long time. I am sure my interval training is the reason.

I'd be interested to hear from some 50 plus Paleo/Primals about their fitness routines for the new year. I asked a 70 year old friend at the gym what he was training for and he said his 80s...Ha Ha!...Thought was funny
    Last edited by canuck416; 01-03-2013 at 11:29 PM.

Well the holiday season is really over now and many of you have set your goals and made commitments toward a healthier lifestyle. Here are some tips for those embarking on their own Paleo Journey:

My number one tip for going Paleo is to not think of it as a diet — which is where our mind goes as soon as we label something — just another diet. It is simply eating real food and no crap.

Commit and DO it and be strict for at least 30 days. You haven’t really tried paleo until you have actually TRIED it.

If the question were “what would you start with,” it would be to ditch wheat. If that’s all you do, if you can only bring yourself to change one thing, ditch wheat.

Think of Paleo as a template, not a rigid prescription. There’s no one size fits all approach.

Relax about food! You now know the rules, so don’t stress about it anymore. Don’t even get on a scale for at least a month. Focus on eating meat and veggies and let the magic happen.

Happy New Year everyone, wishing you all much success and great health in the coming year!

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    If the question were “what would you start with,” it would be to ditch wheat. If that’s all you do, if you can only bring yourself to change one thing, ditch wheat.
    That's me. My next goal is 12 stone (168 lbs) for March 24th. It will be close, and, if I put muscle on I may not even get there. But, I know what I want to look like and I'm suspecting that will be roughly the weight I end up at.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Very well done video by Dr. Robert Lustig called "Sugar: The bitter Truth". It's an indepth lecture so you will need to set aside some time to view it, but its definitely worth the investment in time. Explains why its High Fructose Corn Syrup in particular that is the cause of our current obesity, heart disease and type II diabetes epidemics.

Dr. Robert Lustig is the director of the University of California, San Fransisco Weight Assessment for Teen and Child Health Program

Sugar: The Bitter Truth - YouTube!
    Last edited by canuck416; 01-08-2013 at 06:53 AM.

Great SimpleFit workout this morning! Ran 1 mile to the park and did the 20 minute SimpleFit Day 1 Level 7 workout. I was able to manage 27 sets for a total of 108 Pullups, 216 Pushups, 324 Squats. Then ran the 1 mile home. The SimpleFit program gives you a great all body workout if you have limited time.

bodyweight exercises, bodyweight workout

A husband and wife at the gym the other day asked about my diet. I decided not to mention the word Paleo in my response. Here is what I said, perhaps you might find it useful should you find yourself in a similar situation.

Eat organic and local if possible, pastured beef, pork, lamb, venison or bison, wild fish, free range poultry, eggs, lots of vegetables, some fruit, some raw milk cheese and yogurt and nuts. Avoid grains, HFC, Transfats, packaged foods and sugar. Don't worry about fat, worry about excess refined carbohydrates, they are the cause of most of our modern diseases including Type II Diabetes, Heart Disease, Cancer, Auto Immune Diseases and Obesity. Question and try to avoid most medications recommended by your Doctor especially Statins.

Currently working with a company on a concept to develop a simple inexpensive biometric device that would measure physical activity, intensity and caloric burn and have it automatically downloaded to a cloud based Paleo exercise and nutritional tracking software program through your smart phone or laptop. Just wondering whether people would be interested and if so I am collecting a wish list of features that you would find helpful...Thanks

You know when a movement is having an impact when a major company's bottom line is being impacted and they feel the need to run an ad campaign. In this case a major bread company is trying to make a case for eating bread.

Dempster

Also here is a great 2 part interview with Dr. William Davis the Cardiologist who wrote the book "Wheat Belly" -

CTV Ottawa | Video - Watch our Latest News Stories and Daily Newscasts
    Last edited by canuck416; 01-12-2013 at 07:13 AM.

Today's workout was Day 3 Level 7 of Simple Fit - the test day. Ran 1 mile to the park and did 40 pullups, 80 pushups and 80 Squats in 6:23. Then ran the 1 mile home.

You do each exercise in as many continuous sets as it takes. For example I did Pullups in a rapid succession of sets 15.10,10, 5then Pushups in 3 sets 60, 15, 5 and 80 Squats without stopping.

bodyweight exercises, bodyweight workout

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Today's workout was Day 3 Level 7 of Simple Fit - the test day. Ran 1 mile to the park and did 40 pullups, 80 pushups and 80 Squats in 6:23. Then ran the 1 mile home.

You do each exercise in as many continuous sets as it takes. For example I did Pullups in a rapid succession of sets 15.10,10, 5then Pushups in 3 sets 60, 15, 5 and 80 Squats without stopping.
    Excellent stuff, well done. I've got a LOOoooonnnnnggg way togo before I can match that but time is one thing I have so I WILL get there.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast