Page 14 of 55 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Success at 60 page 14

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    you have a lot of years to go!
    You don't know how true. My long term goal is to be the longest serving police pensioner the world has ever seen. And, I read about a bloke up by the Scottish border who had been retired for 50 years. Only another forty or so to go to beat him.

Decided to start PB Fitness tomorrow in order to train up to being able to complete the You Are Your Own Gym workouts too. I sold my rowing machine and will be sprinting on grass instead. I used some of the money to buy a Pull Up/Chin Up/Dips & Leg Raise tower for the second garage where I used to keep the rower.

It's my upper body strength that's letting me down a lot at present. I suppose my legs are better because of the walking I do around town and when I go into the hills to assess teams doing their Duke of Edinburgh Award expeditions.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    You don't know how true. My long term goal is to be the longest serving police pensioner the world has ever seen. And, I read about a bloke up by the Scottish border who had been retired for 50 years. Only another forty or so to go to beat him.

Decided to start PB Fitness tomorrow in order to train up to being able to complete the You Are Your Own Gym workouts too. I sold my rowing machine and will be sprinting on grass instead. I used some of the money to buy a Pull Up/Chin Up/Dips & Leg Raise tower for the second garage where I used to keep the rower.

It's my upper body strength that's letting me down a lot at present. I suppose my legs are better because of the walking I do around town and when I go into the hills to assess teams doing their Duke of Edinburgh Award expeditions.
    Go for it Nigel! Sprinting barefoot on the grass is something I've been doing for some time and I love it. Sounds like you are going to have a great garge gym, if I ever get to England I'd love to join you for a work out.

I want to share fellow 60+ er Bill Vick's experience in dealing with a life threatening disease. It's wonderful to hear about someone taking charge of their health to deal with a serious illness. Congratulations Bill!

"This next week is when the rubber meets the road for me. After being diagnosed with IPF (Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis) Last December I could not walk a loop around our mall without stopping to
    catch my breath nor swim more than 25 yards without stopping to cough and catch my breath and was told I'd be on Oxygen full time by last April.

Next week, on Thanksgiving, I'm running as participant in a 5K Turkey Trot race with my Daughter Cory and two of my Grandsons. I fully expect each one of us to win our age groups. I attribute my miraculous turnaround to the Paleo diet, intense exercise, stress reduction and elimination of things like all drugs, etc. UT SW, my local Pulmonology center of excellence, can't answer why I've gotten better (not cured - PF never goes away) but better in how I process O2 so they have me in some genetic tests to try to find out whats going on. My wife and some close friends say its in the hands of a higher power and their prayers are the reason but in any event I'll post what happens here after the race - but when it comes to a whole person medical approach I'm a recent convert and total believer. I can't express how thankful I am that I discovered Food is Medicine (as says Joe Salama which he documents so well in his book The Paleo Miracle)."

Day 258 Paleo update - Weight 172 lbs. I have been really focused on weight training the last 6 weeks and it has paid off big time with a 5 lb increase in muscle and another drop in body fat %. Seems like I've ramped up my metabilic rate some what. It's gratifying to know that you can still build muscle and get good definition in your 60s. Here's my current 3 Day workout cycle. - Day 1 - Weights - Legs,Back, Chest, Abs Day 2 - Interval Sprints at the track then Weights -Shoulder and Arms Day 3 - 3 t 5 mile Run. Also still doing High Performance Yoga and meditation 3 times per week. Diet is still 90% Paleo/Primal eating between 60 and 125 gms of Carbs per day (From Vegetables and Fruit). Treats are red wine and dark chocolate. I have been getting emails and contacts through Facebook and blogs from others in their 60s, 70s and 80s. Seems like there is an anti-aging revolution going on with people overcoming auto-immune diseases, heart disease and diabetes through healthy eating and living. Its fantastic to hear about people that have taken charge of their health in such positive ways! Our message is simple "your health is in your hands - eat right, get the right kind of exercise, develop a great attitude and wean yourself off of the meds. Your body wants to be healthy just get out of the way - give it the right tools and allow it work it's magic."

Most of us 60+'ers following a primal approach to life have greatly reduced or eliminate prescribed medication, but if you haven't please take a few moments to review this article. Although it is British it definitey applies to all of us here in the US and Canada.

The tablets that do more harm than good - Telegraph

Ernie is offline Junior Member
    Nigel;
    Don't give up on "you are your own gym" work outs. Like yourself, when I started about 2 years ago I had to do the pushups with my hands elevated. I gradually lowered my hands till I was doing traditional military style pushups, which then became too easy, and now I'm doing wall-supported handstand pushups. I'm not sure how far I can take these workouts, but at 55 years of age I'm totally jazzed with my results - and combining these workouts with a paleo diet seems to be the "fountain of youth"!

Something new - Just cut my toenails and realized that the cuticles were looking healthy, shiny and pink for the first time in many years. I had become used to seeing yellowish, cracked old man toe nails and now they look like they did when I was much younger. Hopefully this is reflection of my overall health improvement thanks to adopting the Paleo/Primal lifestyle!

My personal feeling is that the Paleo/Primal diet is not for everyone, it is for those committed to understand. I have realized that trying to convince peope to save their own ass will burn you out. If you are committed to understanding the Paleo approach then the video below will help give you the understanding of why this dietary approaches improves the health of everyone who embraces it and why our nation's current addiction to carbohydrates have caused most of our health problems. The video is a talk by Dr. Timothy David Noakes (born 1949) a South African professor of exercise and sports science at the University of Cape Town. He has run more than 70 marathons and ultramarathons, and is the author of the running book Lore of Running.

Tim Noakes On Carbohydrates - YouTube

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Nigel;
    Don't give up on "you are your own gym" work outs.
    Won't give up, it will just take me a bit longer to get in good shape. I've hit a wall with my weight loss and haven't lost any for three weeks. In yesterday's paper by coincidence there was a CW article on weight loss. I used their calculation to check the number of calories to eat. I think I have found the answer. Because I have lost over 50lbs, I do not need as many calories to keep body and soul together. My new calculation is about 300 less per day than I was allowing myself. Mind you, I am not so concerned about losing weight as long as I can get into my 36" waist trousers in four weeks time. Because of the exercise I have been doing, I can now nearly see some muscle definition on my legs, and, I am able to do squats with weight where to start with just doing squats was hard work. There's a railway bridge on my way in to town. I can now run up it two stairs at a time and not be out of breath even when carrying the shopping in my rucksack, whereas when I was at my heaviest I would have been puffing a little just running up it one step at a time.

Thanks for the encouragement peeps, it means a lot to an old f@rt.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

BillVick is offline Junior Member
    Thanks - I think we need a new category for Paleo or Primal followers with more than a little grey in their hair.

I propose 'Geezer Jocks' as one option since we know that diet it only part of the lifestyle approach. Any ideas from others 'of a certain age' or over 60 on how to identify ourselves?

Page 14 of 55 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast