Page 13 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Success at 60 page 13

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    Today, I can officially state "I've lost a sack of tates."

I weighed myself this morning, 184lbs, down from 240lbs in March. Potatoes can be bought here in 56lb sacks. I think I'll take a picture of myself with one just to remind myself how heavy I was, and, to show off. ;-)

Problem is, I can still feel quite a lot of fat round my belly. My original goal was 175lbs but I may have to rethink when I get there.
    Great resutlts. You may end up down somewhere between 165 and 170 lbs when its all said and done. When I started my initial goal was to get back down under 200 lbs. That was 33 lbs ago!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    That's awesome! Stories like this are seriously amazing to me (I'm relatively young, never been overweight, always been strong). I think people like you and Canuck are more inspiring than anything I could do in terms of motivating people.

You should carry a sack of potatoes around for a day and see what a hassle that is, just as a good reminder of how far you've come. Keep up the good work!
    Thanks for dropping by Mr. Anthony! A lot of us started off fairly lean and strong, especially if we were into sports. However things change as we age, continuing to eat a SAD and becoming less active. It's great that you are taking charge of your health now, you will be so much healthier and a great example for others as you get older.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    You should carry a sack of potatoes around for a day and see what a hassle that is, just as a good reminder of how far you've come.
    Nah, did that for several years, or at least the weight of fat that represented all the bread, pasta, pizza and potatoes etc that I ate.

I believe the rot set in when I came off the firearms team because I could not pass the fitness test some fourteen years ago. I think I had just had enough. But, it stopped me from all exercise apart from walking. I used the excuse that I could do everything I wanted to, which was true, but, I could not do everything I should have been capable of.

It is going to be a long road to recovery but my new satnav is working well!
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

PS. Must take a new picture for the site as the old one was taken at the end of March when I had only lost a couple of pounds.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Interesting conversation at the gym yesterday. I was briefly taken aback by a rather abusive attack by a couple of somewhat overweight members when they heard me speaking with another member about my results and diet. They passionately argued how dangerous and unhealthy it was to eat meat. I pointed out how great I felt, that I had lost over 40 lbs., that my blood pressure had gone from 130/90 to 105/73, that my arthritis had disappeared and that my body fat had dropped to close to 10%. I said that I believed the focus on eating "healthy" grains and dairy products as the foundation of our diets had resulted in our current obesity crises and a result of heavy lobbying by the agricultural and dairy farming industries. I agree with the vegetarian disgust of factory farms but also pointed out the dominance of the wheat, corn and GMO industries that are raping the land of nutrients and polluting our soils. We ended up agreeing to disagree over the health benefits of meat and grains but most importantly agreeing on the need to support local farmers and community gardens, the humane treatment of farm animals and to go organic when possible. I asked them to read "Wheat Belly" and "Vegertarian Myth" to help understand where I was coming from. We finished on good terms and agreed that we all gained from the discussion.
    Last edited by canuck416; 11-05-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    We ended up agreeing to disagree over the health benefits of meat and grains but most importantly agreeing on the need to support local farmers and community gardens, the humane treatment of farm animals and to go organic when possible. I asked them to read "Wheat Belly" and "Vegertarian Myth" to help understand where I was coming from. We finished on good terms and agreed that we all gained from the discussion.
    I have agreed to disagree with my wife, daughters, sons in law, mother, brother & sister in law about what I eat.

I have agreed to disagree with my wife, daughters, sons in law, mother, brother & sister in law about what I eat.
    They may start listening when you get your weight down into the 170's and see your improved health and fitness. Best to just set the example and wait for them to come over to your side.

If you are over 40 it is even more important to adapt a Paleo style of diet. Evolutionary biologist Michael Rose in his fascinating blog talks about the importance of eliminating grains and dairy due to their effects and contributions to the aging process.

How to achieve ‘biological immortality’ naturally | KurzweilAI

Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    If you are over 40 it is even more important to adapt a Paleo style of diet.
    At 62,I believe I am over 40!

But, have I started early enough?

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    At 62,I believe I am over 40!

But, have I started early enough?
    Well, if you're planning on living healthy to 100+, then you've started early enough... you have a lot of years to go!

Page 13 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast