Page 12 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Success at 60 page 12

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Paleo Babies! - If any of you 60 plus Groks have baby grand children, feel free to forward this interesting article to their parents:

Hold the pablum: Give that baby some meat, new Canadian guidelines advise - thestar.com

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Here's how it went
    I'm nowhere near that level of fitness yet. But I will be!

Losing just under 1lb a day while my wife is away this week. Shouldn't have bought such a big cabbage though....
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    But I will be!....
    I believe you, every great Paleo meal and workout takes you one step closer!

michaelhuddleston is offline Junior Member
    Your gains are remarkable! People like you send a very clear and loud message to all us that screams, "Yes, you can do this too!"

There is no better goal than to raise your day-to-day quality of life. Research points out that 70% of our daily choices determine our longevity and health. Every human being needs inspiration and I appreciate people like you that are willing to share their story.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelhuddleston View Post
    Your gains are remarkable! People like you send a very clear and loud message to all us that screams, "Yes, you can do this too!"

There is no better goal than to raise your day-to-day quality of life. Research points out that 70% of our daily choices determine our longevity and health. Every human being needs inspiration and I appreciate people like you that are willing to share their story.
    Wow ... Thanks Michael! When I started I decided to focus on one meal at a time and before you know it I was down 20 lbs. Success builds on your initial enthusiasm and helps to keep you motivated and stay focused. The great thing about the Paleo approach is how quickly your body responds. Now, after more than 7 months, it is no longer a diet it has simply become the way I eat.

I'm thinking of holding a Paleo/Primal weekend event (Friday night thru Sunday) for seniors (50+ years of age) here in Sonoma County in Northern California next spring. It would consists of lots of wonderful local organic Paleo food (some great red wines since we are in wine country!), guest speakers including Paleo diet experts, Paleo friendly physicians, movenat, hiking, strength training, interval training, HIT all targeted with seniors in mind. I'd like to attract a minimum of 50 people the first year and would probably charge around $1000 for an all inclusive experience. Do you think this is a good idea? Would you be interested or do you know someone that would? Let me know your thoughts...Thanks!

Moushka26 is offline Junior Member
    Hi canuck, Great to see the progress you've made.

I'm 62 and started eating Paleo last January. By June I'd lost 35 lb. I've kept it off but haven't lost any more since, although I've stuck to about 85% Paleo. At 5'5" I'm still 195 lb so I have a lot more to lose.

My biggest challenges are portion size and fruit. I'm adore fruit, especially berries, and could happily eat nothing but steak and fruit, with a little shellfish thrown in, for the rest of my life. Like you, I noticed an immediate increase in energy when I started cleaning up my food intake. I suffered from oral lichen planus which is pretty common in women after menopause. It completely disappeared after I stopped eating sugar but returns whenever I do (grandchildren's birthdays) which isn't often. I read labels thoroughly, though, as corn sugars are hidden in almost every product in the supermarket, and I shop and cook for my non-paleo DH. Although I love yogurt and cheese, I can't eat much dairy as it makes my skin break out so I limit dairy products to three or four times a week for calcium and take a supplement. Eggs aren't a problem

I'm committed to the Paleo lifestyle and want to incorporate some real exercise now that I have the energy to move again. I had a chronic illness for many years that kept me from exercising, although I danced seriously (ballet) until I was 21. The muscles are still there but need a wake-up call! I'm just starting to walk every day for twenty minutes. My upper body strength is abysmal. Now that it's winter vegetable time, I'm exploring some new recipes. Overall, the change to a Paleo diet has been the best thing I've done for my health in forty years.

Quote Originally Posted by Moushka26 View Post
    Hi canuck, Great to see the progress you've made.

I'm 62 and started eating Paleo last January. By June I'd lost 35 lb. I've kept it off but haven't lost any more since, although I've stuck to about 85% Paleo. At 5'5" I'm still 195 lb so I have a lot more to lose.

My biggest challenges are portion size and fruit. I'm adore fruit, especially berries, and could happily eat nothing but steak and fruit, with a little shellfish thrown in, for the rest of my life. Like you, I noticed an immediate increase in energy when I started cleaning up my food intake. I suffered from oral lichen planus which is pretty common in women after menopause. It completely disappeared after I stopped eating sugar but returns whenever I do (grandchildren's birthdays) which isn't often. I read labels thoroughly, though, as corn sugars are hidden in almost every product in the supermarket, and I shop and cook for my non-paleo DH. Although I love yogurt and cheese, I can't eat much dairy as it makes my skin break out so I limit dairy products to three or four times a week for calcium and take a supplement. Eggs aren't a problem

I'm committed to the Paleo lifestyle and want to incorporate some real exercise now that I have the energy to move again. I had a chronic illness for many years that kept me from exercising, although I danced seriously (ballet) until I was 21. The muscles are still there but need a wake-up call! I'm just starting to walk every day for twenty minutes. My upper body strength is abysmal. Now that it's winter vegetable time, I'm exploring some new recipes. Overall, the change to a Paleo diet has been the best thing I've done for my health in forty years.
    Thank you so much for sharing your story Moushka! I'm very impressed with your commitment and excited to hear about your improved health. As you begin to add exercise back into your life and increase your muscle density you will definitely get a metabolic benefit that will help with your fat loss. It will be great to hear about your progress, please keep in touch.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Today, I can officially state "I've lost a sack of tates."

I weighed myself this morning, 184lbs, down from 240lbs in March. Potatoes can be bought here in 56lb sacks. I think I'll take a picture of myself with one just to remind myself how heavy I was, and, to show off. ;-)

Problem is, I can still feel quite a lot of fat round my belly. My original goal was 175lbs but I may have to rethink when I get there.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    Today, I can officially state "I've lost a sack of tates."

I weighed myself this morning, 184lbs, down from 240lbs in March. Potatoes can be bought here in 56lb sacks. I think I'll take a picture of myself with one just to remind myself how heavy I was, and, to show off. ;-)

Problem is, I can still feel quite a lot of fat round my belly. My original goal was 175lbs but I may have to rethink when I get there.
    That's awesome! Stories like this are seriously amazing to me (I'm relatively young, never been overweight, always been strong). I think people like you and Canuck are more inspiring than anything I could do in terms of motivating people.

You should carry a sack of potatoes around for a day and see what a hassle that is, just as a good reminder of how far you've come. Keep up the good work!

Page 12 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast