Page 11 of 59 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Success at 60 page 11

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornemuse View Post
    Hi Canuck!
    I haven't been by the forum for a while, but I'm sticking with it, and have now lost another 10lbs. And my 34-year old daughter has joined me - she's delighted to be able to get into a pair of jeans she'd given up on a while back.
    I look forward to getting more active to boost the weight loss and my health generally, but I'm recovering from nail surgery to both feet, and it's a slow job healing up, so a bit of walking is the best I can manage. But I'm definitely enjoying the Paleo path food-wise, and finding it easy and pleasurable to keep to.
    Thanks for your encouragement! And kind wishes.
    Another 10 lbs. wow that's great. How wonderful to hear your daughter has joined you on your Paleo journey. I think you will feel much more motivated to workout as your weight decreases, I know I did. Hopefully your feet recover soon from you nail surgery. Wishing you both all the best and much Paleo success!

Training update - Interesting to note that since I re-introduced weight training back into my workouts, I have added a couple of pounds of muscle (currently weigh 170 lbs). I was previously, doing HIT body weight strength training. Strength has increased significantly and I have noticed more muscle definition in a very short period of time. I have also added a form of Yoga called High Performance Yoga (a form of Ashtanga yoga) which I do 3 times a week. This has been eye opening and fairly intense as I have never been very flexible. However the point of yoga is not so much attaining the positions, but in the journey to being able to do the positions. It is important to tone down my driven nature when doing yoga, so I let my breath guide me in and out of postures, not my ego.

Rig D is offline Senior Member
    Dayton, OH, but "home" is Carolinas/Georgia
    You've done great, congratulations! I'm sending this on 'cause you seem to still have a dearth of “old farts” responding.

I turned 65 in August. Started Primal in July, along with my wife. It has been a very easy transition for us. We never were really bad on food, but did do a lot of carbohydrates, and more fast food than we should have. We were just on the “see food” diet.

I'm about 5'10” started Primal at 256. Now at 224, I'm down 32 lbs. Wife is down about 20. I feel much better and younger as time is going by. Now that there is some vague sign of a six-pack (abs, not inside the belly) I'm pretty fired up. I don't have a real weight objective, just interested in finding out how low my weight will go before I plateau out. I suspect it will be around 200, based on frame size.

History: I was your typical high school jock (baseball, football) weighed about 200 sr. yr. playing football when I was in the best shape of my life. I was on a more or less straight line 2-3 lbs/yr weight gain, with a big spike during a period when I was a consulting “road warrior” and ballooned to almost 300 and felt really lousy. Through strict calorie cut backs and grindingly hard exercise I got to 220 in about 1 yr. When I backed off the exercise, I gained back and stabilized at the 255-260 range. I've got a bad right knee, had to give up racquetball in the early 90's and haven't been able to run in a long time, but have no trouble walking.

My son found Primal and introduced it to me. We've been very disciplined on our eating, have not experienced any problems with the transition. Our exercise is primarily walking -- we get out almost every day, and go 30 minutes to an hour at a brisk pace, and the brisk pace is getting faster as time goes by, so we are having to adjust our routes. We also have the P90X cd's and do these several days a week (doing our best, forgetting the rest – especially when doing the yoga session) I've also got an old Schwinn Air Dyne exercise bike that I use to complement the walks and to address the need for sprints. I like it because it works both arms and legs.

We are not doing anything dramatic, nothing fancy, just trying to stay pretty much on the eating plan, hitting the activity buttons, and keeping it low-key, and most importantly, feeling good with the progress to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Rig D View Post
    You've done great, congratulations! I'm sending this on 'cause you seem to still have a dearth of “old farts” responding.

I turned 65 in August. Started Primal in July, along with my wife. It has been a very easy transition for us. We never were really bad on food, but did do a lot of carbohydrates, and more fast food than we should have. We were just on the “see food” diet.

I'm about 5'10” started Primal at 256. Now at 224, I'm down 32 lbs. Wife is down about 20. I feel much better and younger as time is going by. Now that there is some vague sign of a six-pack (abs, not inside the belly) I'm pretty fired up. I don't have a real weight objective, just interested in finding out how low my weight will go before I plateau out. I suspect it will be around 200, based on frame size.

History: I was your typical high school jock (baseball, football) weighed about 200 sr. yr. playing football when I was in the best shape of my life. I was on a more or less straight line 2-3 lbs/yr weight gain, with a big spike during a period when I was a consulting “road warrior” and ballooned to almost 300 and felt really lousy. Through strict calorie cut backs and grindingly hard exercise I got to 220 in about 1 yr. When I backed off the exercise, I gained back and stabilized at the 255-260 range. I've got a bad right knee, had to give up racquetball in the early 90's and haven't been able to run in a long time, but have no trouble walking.

My son found Primal and introduced it to me. We've been very disciplined on our eating, have not experienced any problems with the transition. Our exercise is primarily walking -- we get out almost every day, and go 30 minutes to an hour at a brisk pace, and the brisk pace is getting faster as time goes by, so we are having to adjust our routes. We also have the P90X cd's and do these several days a week (doing our best, forgetting the rest – especially when doing the yoga session) I've also got an old Schwinn Air Dyne exercise bike that I use to complement the walks and to address the need for sprints. I like it because it works both arms and legs.

We are not doing anything dramatic, nothing fancy, just trying to stay pretty much on the eating plan, hitting the activity buttons, and keeping it low-key, and most importantly, feeling good with the progress to date.
    Thanks for dropping in Rig D! Wow, down 32 lbs since July...That's great. It's exciting to hear about your success. I really think the Primal/Paleo lifestyle suits people over 50. I was reading the other day that grain glutens affect us more as we get older by actually speeding up the aging process. Everything from Alzheimer and arthritis to heart disease and cancer seems to be directly or directly effected by gluten and an overload of dietary carbohydrates. What I like best about eating this way (besides the weight loss) is how great I feel. Sounds like you and your wife are enjoying the same benefits.
    Last edited by canuck416; 10-26-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    I was 62 in May and started Primal Light in early March. I am 5"11" and was 240lbs. I was on two medications for blood pressure, a statin and an inhaler twice a day for late onset asthma. Began by just cutting out grains and doing HIT rowing twice or three times a week. After a couple of months I'd lost 10lbs and noticed my blood pressure had dropped. E-mailed my doctor and asked which drug I should come off. Endeavoured to persevere and when I'd lost another 10lbs with blood pressure still doing fine, sent an e-mail stating I was giving up the other BP pills.

In June I read Body by Science and added strength training to the rowing. I weighed 190lbs this morning and I am pleased with my weight progress. I bought You are Your Own Gym week before last and thought I would give up walking the mile to the gym and workout at home. Did the first day's basic session on Monday and have been stiff since. Obviously I'm going to have to work up to even the basic level. That said, I have got ideas for an exercise regime that will eventually bring me up to speed. I'm in no tearing hurry, just so long as I keep making progress.

I reckon I've still got some 20lbs of flab on me but if I put on muscle, the weight loss will likely slow up and I am prepared for that. SWMBO is away babysitting the grandchildren for a week so I can really cut down on the carbs and do some intermittent fasting. On that note, I had nothing to eat from lunch yesterday until lunch today. Unfortunately, she has left bananas in the house and I can not see my way to letting them rot.

Nice to read other people's success stories.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    I was 62 in May and started Primal Light in early March. I am 5"11" and was 240lbs. I was on two medications for blood pressure, a statin and an inhaler twice a day for late onset asthma. Began by just cutting out grains and doing HIT rowing twice or three times a week. After a couple of months I'd lost 10lbs and noticed my blood pressure had dropped. E-mailed my doctor and asked which drug I should come off. Endeavoured to persevere and when I'd lost another 10lbs with blood pressure still doing fine, sent an e-mail stating I was giving up the other BP pills.

In June I read Body by Science and added strength training to the rowing. I weighed 190lbs this morning and I am pleased with my weight progress. I bought You are Your Own Gym week before last and thought I would give up walking the mile to the gym and workout at home. Did the first day's basic session on Monday and have been stiff since. Obviously I'm going to have to work up to even the basic level. That said, I have got ideas for an exercise regime that will eventually bring me up to speed. I'm in no tearing hurry, just so long as I keep making progress.

I reckon I've still got some 20lbs of flab on me but if I put on muscle, the weight loss will likely slow up and I am prepared for that. SWMBO is away babysitting the grandchildren for a week so I can really cut down on the carbs and do some intermittent fasting. On that note, I had nothing to eat from lunch yesterday until lunch today. Unfortunately, she has left bananas in the house and I can not see my way to letting them rot.

Nice to read other people's success stories.
    Thanks for your update Nigel. I love your rational approach to Paleo. I must say you have made tremendous progress, it's especially great you are off the BP meds. Losing 50 lbs is an incredible accomplishment, you must need a whole new wardrobe! I haven't read Your are Your Own Gym, so I think I'll pick up a copy and check it out. For the first 6 months of Paleo I basically just did body weight exercises - chin-ups, push-ups, sit-ups, squats etc and run and had great results. Best of luck and keep us updated on your progress!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    Unfortunately, she has left bananas in the house and I can not see my way to letting them rot.

Just peel, chop into chunks and pop them in the freezer. Then you can add as few chunks as you like to a smoothie or dessert.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    I haven't read Your are Your Own Gym, so I think I'll pick up a copy and check it out. For the first 6 months of Paleo I basically just did body weight exercises - chin-ups, push-ups, sit-ups, squats etc and run and had great results.
    BbS was fine while I was concentrating on losing weight slowly & surely as that combined with HIT rowing only took 15 minutes (or less) hard physical effort per week. Now that I am a fat burner, I have found I can do longer periods of exercise. As I said, the Basic level of You are Your Own Gym crippled me. Now that I know what I've got to work up to, I can focus on building stamina as well as strength.

Yesterday I did Press Ups on the side of our bath, Dips on two chairs, Let Me Ups under the kitchen table and Squats. I intend to build the Pull Up/Chin Up/Dips/Hanging Leg Raise tower I bought second hand tomorrow and add other exercises so that I work all parts of my body. I will also go to muscle inroad/failure once a week in order to stimulate their growth.

SWMBO is at our older daughter's to babysit for a bit over a week. I've lost 2lbs since Thursday as I have cut down on carbs and calories (hardly at all from 1800 a day), but, not taste and satisfaction.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Just peel, chop into chunks and pop them in the freezer. Then you can add as few chunks as you like to a smoothie or dessert.
    Nah, had one with ice cream after a 7oz steak, fried onion & mushrooms, cabbage, carrot and brussels sprouts, along with two glasses of Syrah. Now it's green tea and water until tomorrow lunch time. No more wine until Wednesday, my other treat is dark chocolate every day.

5' 11" and 189lbs this morning. Belly & man boobs feel like another 20lbs or so of fat to go.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Be spontaneous! - If you've ever had one of those days when you didn't feel like following a set routine workout and were looking for something different, here's an option to consider. I woke up this morning feeling energized and wanted to do something different. As I was lying in bed I remembered a term called "Fartlek" which is Swedish for speed play, I decided to combine this with a series of body weight exercises.

Here's how it went -

I warmed up with easy running for 5 to 10 minutes. Then ran a steady, hard speed for about a mile and a half, did a 5 minute walking recovery, then did 10 X 50 meter sprints followed with easy running including four quick steps now and then. I finished with an uphill fulll speed sprint of about 200 meters, then did a five minute recovery walk. Then did some pull-ups, push-ups, sit-up and squats and repeated the Fartlek session.

It felt great! The workout was spontaneous and energizing, just did what I felt like doing and came up with a very enjoyable workout.

Page 11 of 59 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast