Page 10 of 57 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Success at 60 page 10

canuck416 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What is your body type? I believe a one size fits all exercise program does not work and everyone needs to experiment and develop an individualized exercise plan. Some people are predisposed to endurance sports and respond accordingly to endurance training, others are sprinters, strength athletes etc. Determining your body type is another way to assess your predisposition and response to different types of exercise. Are you mesomorph, ectomorph or endomorph? The most important thing is not to compare yourself to others when measuring success, focus on comparing yourself to yourself using a variety of physiologic and health markers. We all progress at different rates.

Here is a great article that will help you determine your body type and individualize your program:

Your Body Type - Ectomorph, Mesomorph or Endomorph? | Muscle & Strength
    Last edited by canuck416; 10-10-2012 at 07:53 AM.

mph
    mph is offline Junior Member
    That is awesome and inspiring to anyone who is seeking a great lifestyle to feeling awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    That is awesome and inspiring to anyone who is seeking a great lifestyle to feeling awesome.
    Thanks MPH, good luck on your Paleo/Primal journey!

MeatSleepRepeat is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to share your story with people at my gym. There are a lot of people who are 'more experienced' and overweight looking to make the kind of transformation you did. Way to go!

Quote Originally Posted by MeatSleepRepeat View Post
    I'm going to share your story with people at my gym. There are a lot of people who are 'more experienced' and overweight looking to make the kind of transformation you did. Way to go!
    Ha Ha! Meat - Sleep - Repeat....Love it! Really liked your bacon avocado salad recipe.
    Last edited by canuck416; 10-10-2012 at 10:12 AM.

MeatSleepRepeat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Ha Ha! Meat - Sleep - Repeat....Love it! Really liked your bacon avocado salad recipe.
    Thanks!

Over the next couple of weeks I will be referring to a way of training called Wholistic Fitness that I have incorporated into my lifestyle. This approach to training was developed by Steve Ilg, someone I consider to be a personal mentor and guru through his book Total Body Transformation. Steve is an accomplished athlete and runs a Wholistic Fitness/High Performance Yoga Studio in Durango Colorado. He has coached dozens of multi-sport championship athletes and trains many people through his website Wholistic Fitness | Transformation through personal fitness since 1982. Wholistic Fitness combines five disciplines (Strength, Cardio, Yoga, Meditation and Nutrition) and four principles (breath and posture, mindfulness, appropriate action and practice). Steve has incorporated what I would call a primarily vegetarian approach to Paleo, so his nutritional advice may not resonate with the Paleo tribe, but his Wholistic Fitness program is outstanding and may change how you perceive exercise. Hopefully you will find the information as interesting and motivating as I have.

Here is a link to his book should you be interested:

Total Body Transformation: A 3-Month Personal Fitness Prescription For a Strong,Lean Body and a Calmer Mind: Steve Ilg: 9780786887323: Amazon.com: Books
    Last edited by canuck416; 10-10-2012 at 02:34 PM.

What an incredibly beautiful morning, here in Sonoma county. Fall in Northern California is truly magnificent. Just finished a wonderful cardio workout jogging one mile to the track and then doing 10 X 100 meter sprints, followed by the one mile run home. Half way through my interval workout I took off my minimalist shoes and ran the last 5 sprints barefoot on the grass. I believe the most direct and authentic Cardio activities are done barefoot, maximizing the personal and spiritual growth benefits of the workout. My cardio workouts are not distracted by music or doing the treadmill in front of a TV but in nature, looking within, as a form of meditation and a vehicle for self transformation. This morning as I began my 7th sprint my elevated heart rate and breath awareness became overwhelming. As I pushed harder through a rich sensation I merged my meditation into the turbulence of breath and I developed an elevated sense of awareness that left me feeling naturally connected with the planet through my bare feet and the soft turf. Let your breath be your music!
    Last edited by canuck416; 10-13-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Strength Training Day! -Great breakfast this morning! 3 egg omelette stuffed with asparagus, broccoli, summer squash, onion, pepper, goat cheese crumbles and bacon sauteed in coconut oil. Side was a half avocado and raspberries. Yum! Followed it up with a trip to the gym (or as I like to call it the Iron Temple). True balance in personal fitness mandates getting into the gym and discovering the art of strength training. Getting our butts into the gym builds healthy lean tissue and deeply engraves into our posture a physical poise and presence that carries us into older age. The sinew one develops by knocking around the iron is invaluable and with age it becomes even more important to delay and reverse the entropic effects of gravity. Strength training remains the most effective way to sculpt the body. Barbells change more than your body they change your mindset. Each set in the gym should be done with an emphasis on elegance. Forget the amount of weight you are lifting and shift the focus to how you are lifting. The key to functional strength training is learning to make less feel like more. Every repetition in the gym should express three distinct qualities: Yin (female), Yang (male), and neutral (transition). Nearly every injury, as well as training staleness, in the gym is due to ignorance of this rule. A yang, or male phase, is explosive and occurs on the concentric contraction - when muscle fibers shorten as they contract. The Yin, or female phase, is a slower, more controlled motion that occurs on the eccentric contraction - when the muscle fibers lengthen. The neutral or transition phase links the yin and yang together. It parallels kumbaka in yoga, or the moment between inhalation and exhalation. Exhale on yang phases and inhale on yin phases. Think of strength training as gym yoga.
    Last edited by canuck416; 10-14-2012 at 03:35 PM.

Cornemuse is offline Junior Member
    Hi Canuck!
    I haven't been by the forum for a while, but I'm sticking with it, and have now lost another 10lbs. And my 34-year old daughter has joined me - she's delighted to be able to get into a pair of jeans she'd given up on a while back.
    I look forward to getting more active to boost the weight loss and my health generally, but I'm recovering from nail surgery to both feet, and it's a slow job healing up, so a bit of walking is the best I can manage. But I'm definitely enjoying the Paleo path food-wise, and finding it easy and pleasurable to keep to.
    Thanks for your encouragement! And kind wishes.

Page 10 of 57 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast