Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vegan Food Pyramid makes me cringe page

DashFire is offline Senior Member

Vegan Food Pyramid makes me cringe

Primal Fuel
    Somehow ran across this today online. I'm fully expecting to have nightmares about "fortified dairy substitutes" later tonight.

I definitely like ours better (though the 2011 update isn't quite as simple as the previous version, but definitely clearer), also might be nice to have a more visual version (anyone want to give it a go?)...

Last edited by DashFire; 07-13-2012 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Corrected to 2011 updated version of PB food pyramid

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    funny how the base is the same
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

June68 is offline Senior Member
    Not in the updated book. Meat is on the bottom now.
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Also interesting: that although they have fruits and vegetables as the base, they list the servings range for those as 5-9. Grains get 6-11. This fits with my main complaint with vegetarian cookbooks: they don't have adequate VEGETABLE recipes. Grain, grain, everywhere one looks. They should called themselves grainetarians. I eat more vegetables than the vegetarians I know.

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Veg should be bulk of your food and protein the bulk of your calories.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

CaveWeirdo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Veg should be bulk of your food and protein the bulk of your calories.
    This. ^^
    Start weight: 238 lbs (March 2012)
    Current weight: 205 lbs (July 2012)
    Loss so far: 33 lbs!!!
    WOE: Primal + IF
    Movements: Hiking, sprinting.
    Goal: to see my abs some time in 2013!

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    I just looked at the veggie numbers
    6-11 servings of grains
    5-9 servings of veg
    So in actuality grains are on the bottom of the veggie pyramid.

And the veg consumption is less, and the grain consumption is more than Canadian Gov Guidelines.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Brandon is offline Junior Member
    Here's my problem with having fruits and veggies as your main food source. How many cultures before the industrial age had access to every fruit and veggie you can grow???? I believe many cultures didn't thrive on fruits and veggies, but now were told that we need them??? And isn't the fruit we eat today much sweeter than we would of found in the wild???

This whole concept of eating all this produce doesn't make sense to me. It's only because we have the means of shipping it across the planet that we consume so much of it. Many cultures thrived on animal fat and meat with limited access to plants and fruits, especially living in a 4 season climate, and they did very well health wise.

June68 is offline Senior Member
    I expect eating seasonally is also part of the natural, human rhythm. We're going to try it this year although I can imagine going bat-shit crazy in March/April. Californians and other mild-climate places will have it easier, but I'll deal. I imagine that the cravings for fresh vegetables hit ancient gatherers as well and they probably picked everything in sight to get those macronutrients back up. Mammoth jerky probably got old.
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

CaveWeirdo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I went camping recently, my first since going Primal, and took a cooler box full of fresh veggies and some tinned mackerel. Someone didn't notice the tinned fish and asked me if I was vegan cos I was sitting there slicing up and munching on stuff like avocados and raw broccoli florets, and sharing my nuts and seeds while they were sharing crisps and sweets. I said no, I'm omnivorous, I just brought food that is convenient and meat would go off, don't worry I'll make up for it later with a steak at the pub! The person who asked was vegetarian and seemed genuinely surprised at how much vegetation I devoured in one sitting. She said she had never seen anyone eat a fresh avocado with a spoon before!

It's funny watching people in the supermarket eyeing up my conveyor belt full of bright coloured vegetables and fruit and possibly thinking oh I bet that fat chick is on some crazy vegan diet for weight loss, and then they spot the blocks of butter and slabs of marbled meat and that's where they get confused. I see my fellow fatties buying veggies along with low-fat frankenfoods and shake my head... I'd never dream of saying anything but I think if I can get really lean I'm gonna start preaching the gospel of meat in the supermarket!
    Last edited by CaveWeirdo; 07-13-2012 at 08:02 AM.
    Start weight: 238 lbs (March 2012)
    Current weight: 205 lbs (July 2012)
    Loss so far: 33 lbs!!!
    WOE: Primal + IF
    Movements: Hiking, sprinting.
    Goal: to see my abs some time in 2013!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast