Thread: Fructose page

katsetaja is offline Junior Member

Fructose

Shop Now
    Hi, I have a question about the fructose. As it comes from fruits then can I use this natural sweetener along with stevia extract? I have been thinking how to preserve my strawberrie jams. Stevia does not work there, but fructose or glycose will do. Can I use those or not?
    How you preserve your jams? In winter would be lovely to have some jams. Offcourse even when I freeze that jam, it still need some sweetener in.
    Any ideas at all?

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    I don't use sugar in my jams. There is a pectin for low/no sugar and I use that. One year I boiled down white grape juice for sweetener. This year I made a batch of strawberry jam with less than a teaspoon of honey (to retain color). It was not necessary for flavor or set. Best strawberry jam ever. My friend grates an apple into her jams says it helps. I have not tasted it though to see if it's sweeter, better than the one I did.

Ouaouaron is offline Senior Member
    You can can strawberries with a hot water bath method and don't need the pressure cooker, right?
    An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good!'
    -Somebody funny

jaye is offline Senior Member
    I made grape jam last year with the no-sugar pectin. It turned out pretty good! But I wonder about the ingredients... dextrose, especially. It also contains fruit pectin, citric acid and calcium ascorbate.

I just heard that there is a book about preserving without sugar. I'm going to check it out of the library.

In the meantime, if anyone has tips or tricks for preserving without sugar or store-bought pectin, I'm all ears.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I think i'm missing something...the fruit you're using to make the jam is full of fructose, so why would adding a little extra fructose be a problem (assuming that it works to preserve the jam)?

Personally, I'd just use some sugar. A little won't kill you, no need to be afraid of it in small amounts.

Now, if you don't want to use sugar because it makes the jam too sweet, that's different.

Rosencrantz1 is offline Member
    I recommend you watch Dr. Robert Lustig's talk on Fructose (called Sugar: The Bitter Truth) on YouTube. It was recorded as part of a "Mini Medical School" program from one of the UC schools, and it's a pretty good presentation on the problems with fructose.
    “If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

katsetaja is offline Junior Member
    Thanks a lot. Will look it up.