Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pop Corn page

Vickie is offline Junior Member

Question Pop Corn

Shop Now
    Hi! So I'm kind of new to the Primal Diet, but so far I LOVE it. However, giving up ice cream is VERY hard. But I did it. Watching others eat pizza in front of me kills me, but I didn't eat it. Now I'm hoping I don't have to give up my third love--pop corn. Does anyone know if I can eat pop corn? The kind you pop in olive oil on your stove top? I NEVER buy micro- pop corn, I always make it myself. Can I still eat this? Please tell me I can!

Paleobird Guest
    Corn is a grain. Grain is not Primal. Those are the facts. What you can and can't eat is up to you.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    You can eat whatever you want to eat. But I'm afraid pop corn is not considered part of the Primal menu. Corn is considered a grain, and grains are not allowed.

Vickie is offline Junior Member
    Yeah, I know but I was just hoping...haha! THANK YOU!

DashFire is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Corn is a grain. Grain is not Primal. Those are the facts. What you can and can't eat is up to you.
    Well said Paleobird.

And Welcome Vickie! Glad to have you on the forum and exploring Primal.

I recommend checking out the Primal Blueprint 101 resources, which will probably answer a lot of your questions. There is also a definitive guide to grains, that explains the issues there.

Primal Blueprint 101 | Mark's Daily Apple
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

Hedonist2 is online now Senior Member
    Organic corn is one of the least harmful grains. I eat several corn tortillas per week. Always organic. Other corn is nearly all GMO. Enjoy if it doesn't hold you back.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Primal in Korea is offline Junior Member
    Hi Vickie,

I'd like to give you my take on this issue because popcorn used to be one of my favorite treats. I used to eat a big bowl of home style popped popcorn most every night.

First, I will assert that it probably isn't popcorn that you love, but the fat that you combine with it. The most popular fat for this combining is, of course, butter. Way back when I thought that butter and saturated fats were unhealthy, I used olive oil on my popcorn instead. Tasted quite yummy. Being fond of spicy tastes, at various times, I liked to shake various spices on it like curry powder and sometimes even brewer's yeast.

Now, I no longer avoid butter, but instead eat it daily in addition to olive oil, coconut oil and bacon grease. But we were talking about your love of popcorn weren't we. Here's an experiment that I'd like to suggest that you try. Pop some popcorn in an air popper with no fat of any kind added to it. Then, eat that popcorn with nothing on it. Or, you can put some salt on it if you like, but the salt will not adhere. It will simply fall right on through to the bottom of the bowl.

Do you like that plain, fat-free popcorn? My guess is that the answer will be no. That's because, I would argue, that it isn't the popcorn that you really love and crave, but rather the fat that is added to it in the form of butter or olive oil or coconut oil. So, perhaps you will find it just as satisfying if you find some other vehicle for transporting the fats that are really what you love and crave.

I'm not sure what to suggest as a vehicle because I haven't thought very hard about this, but if it's a certain texture that you desire to accompany your intake of the fats you love and crave, maybe you could pour them over kale chips or jerky or something like that that is low carb.

Good luck with resolving this question.

PS. Regarding your statement that watching others eat pizza in front of you "kills you," I would suggest that next time you get out a fork and eat the pizza except for the crust. Pizza toppings aren't generally the problem. It's the grain crust. There again, the grain crust isn't very tasty and satisfying except to the extent that one has carb cravings from not yet being fat-adapted. So, enjoy your pizza except for the generally flavorless crust. Your friends may think that's a bit odd, but that's where you might be able to do a little gentle educating of them regarding your healthy diet lifestyle. Or you could just tell them that you're "allegeric" to wheat.
    Last edited by Primal in Korea; 07-12-2012 at 10:30 PM.

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    Let me clarify something for OP. If diary and nightshades are primal, grains are primal. Soybean oil is also primal. So are donuts. It's what is in some of these foods which are bad. There's nothing inherently wrong with grains...only the gluten, phytate, etc. which most contain. Soybean oil is primal....it just happens to be loaded with non-primal rancid O-6 fats and the negative properties of soy. You'll be a lot better off if you focus on what a food contains, rather than what it is.

As for the popcorn, not really. Homemade popcorn is not the worst food in the world for you, but it does have some unhealthful parts to it. Think of it as a treat.

sjmc is online now Senior Member
    I'm not looking for permission to eat popcorn (let me know if it happens), but just wondering, do the kernel "shells" cause any trouble in the digestive tract? Seems like a sharp bit of food to send through there. I know my aunt's doctor told her she can't eat popcorn for some reason.

The other day I watched a movie with my mom, and I knew she'd skipped eating and just cleaned all day (she doesn't eat primal food, but she sure can IF), so I told her 'hey, if you want a bowl of popcorn, don't worry about tempting me.' And she said 'oh boy...really?? thank you!' I did take a big whiff though. It was boy scout kettlecorn.

And I guess I'm a weirdo who actually loves the taste of fat-free air popped popcorn? When I was eating bready stuff it was never just a fat-vehicle (cause I didn't eat fat ... haha). Even this year I always loved the smell when my roommates cooked plain white rice (everydayoftheyear).

Brandon is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Hey Vickie,
    Popcorn is one of my favorite treats as well, one I can't completely give up. I have it once in awhile and seem to do okay. Sometimes if I eat to much I do feel like crap, even the next morning I have a food hangover. I'm guessing it's a grain overload because my body doesn't get them unless I have popcorn or a corn tortilla on occasion.

I used to eat it a couple times a week and was stuck at a certain weight. When I stopped eating it for few weeks I lost another ten pounds, but I also stopped eating sour dough bread at the same time so I don't know which made the biggest difference. So now I only have it as a treat once a week if that.

I cook organic white popcorn in high heat coconut oil and then load it with melted butter and salt. Mmmm.
    Brandon "Big Daddy" Palmer

Good nutrition is medicine without the side effects!

Primaldays.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast