Thread: Question about going primal as a 17 year old page

jtuwiner is offline Junior Member

Question about going primal as a 17 year old

Shop Now
    I would like to go primal as I have many friends who have been primal for quite some time. However, I am 17 and still growing.

I just want to ensure that a sudden change in the way I eat will not affect or negatively affect my growth.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Positive changes in your diet can only effect you positively......no worries

That said what is your current diet like, what are your activities and goals, and do you have any relevant health history?

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Eat and you will be fine.

At worst you will be cutting out tasteless nutritionally void grains and replacing them with vegetables, sweat potatoes, meat, fish etc where are full of taste and flavour.

If you are worried about the change go slow and cut out wheat and processed oils first, adapt then go the rest of the way.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    At your age, if you can just manage to focus on adding in some great nutrient dense foods and avoiding a diet filled with fast food, crappy oils, and processed grains you'll be doing great.

Eat real, whole foods and your body will thank you!! But don't go too crazy strict either - a little pizza and iced cream with your friends once in a while is okay too.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member
    Hey JT

You might be interested in checking out paleo blogger Armi Legge who is also 17 and co hosts a paleo(ish-mostly) podcast.

Writer and triathlete
    Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

DashFire is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Positive changes in your diet can only effect you positively......no worries
    Going to second what Neckhammer said. Also, to quote mark from this post about teens and kids going primal...

"Donít wait until youíre old, hurting, and full of regrets to seize control of your health."

and a reader added a comment saying... "I am a 16 year old teenage boy, and going primal nine months ago was the best thing that ever happened to me." Check the post if you're interested in connecting, he left his email.

So there you have it. Go for it and welcome!
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtuwiner View Post
    I would like to go primal as I have many friends who have been primal for quite some time. However, I am 17 and still growing.

I just want to ensure that a sudden change in the way I eat will not affect or negatively affect my growth.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
    You're worried about it affecting your growth? What would affect your growth? Primal is not an extreme way of eating. Primal is tossing a few things out of your diet....that's it. Following a raw zero carb diet and consuming elk toes and pig testicles is an extreme way of eating compared to modern civilization...tossing out most grains and using real oils is not extreme by any means.

Your friends eating primal is not a reason for you to eat a primal diet. Look around at this forum, various other forums, blogs, research articles, videos, podcasts, etc. and see why a primal diet is healthier than what you eat now. If you base your decision on eating primal because your friends eat primal, as soon as you aren't friends with them anymore (college is just around the corner) or they stop eating primal you have no reason to eat primal and you'll probably go back to your old ways. If you change how you eat, it should be for your own health.

Figure out what you're doing before you do it.