Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Menstruation and Paleo page 3

Mis-behave is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cayla29s View Post
    I guess this thread is for the ladies. I've been on Paleo now for almost a month and got my period the other day and I have noticed that I'm more tired than usual. I have always had some minor bloating, headache and tiredness before but I think it has gotten a little bit worse since the switch.

Right now I'm trying get my weight down. I'm currently 127 at 5'2 and looking to lose 7 more. Diet is going great not stalling at all. I eat about 1500 kcal a day and I average about 125 g of carbs a day. This is low carb for me since I was used to eating about 150 g. I weight lift 3 x a week for about 45 min and added a 20 min sprint 1 x a week then light cardio for about 45 min 2 x a week then take a full rest day. I have also been walking a lot more at work and the past couple of days I average about 5 hrs of sleep. I know this is not enough but I used to be able to function at this amount of sleep with the same amount of exercise. Then, when I got my period I was so tired and my body was achy. I decided not to do any lifting yesterday and did a light cardio instead because i did not have the energy to do big lifts.

I wonder if I need to increase my carb intake since I am active and lower my fat a bit more. I was hoping to be fat adapted but I don't think I can do it right now as I would have to decrease my carb and protein intake to meet my caloric goal for the day. I feel like my body is still adjusting to cutting out wheat? I did not have much of an issue the first week and I think when i lowered my carbs I felt weaker. I'm gonna make myself some chicken liver tonight just in case I need some more iron.

I guess my main concern is how tired I am during my period when I was not like this before. Any thoughts? I know there are lot of variables happening but I guess I'm still trying to get to know my body when it comes to eating Paleo.
    Hi when I have my period, I often get the same tired feelings your talking about. It normally starts about 5 days before I get it, I crave salt not sweet which is a change, before primal I craved sweet. My period arrives with no warning cramps, on or just after the date I expect it. I did some reading and the suggestion is 5-8 days before your period up your carb intake with "good carbs" sweet potato, maybe bit more fruit etc if I remember to follow my own advise I find it does help

ksagle is offline Member
    I wish I craved salt! The 2 or 3 days before my period all I seem to want is chocolate and sugar. It's crazy! I tried some dark chocolate and pretty much could have eaten the entire bar. Not only that, I tend to be absolutely ravenous the few days leading up to it - I feel like I could eat the entire world if I tried....

abraka8 is offline Member
    Hi,
    I have been eating Paleo for close to 7 months now with periods of low carbing (including now) and the addition 2 months ago of heavy lifting. Initially I lost several pounds of fat, and I felt the first period I had eating Paleo was heavy, painful, and I was very tired. With some reading, I found that this might be due to a die off of bad gut bacteria from the withdrawal of their sugar and carb food supply. The shift in diet and intestinal flora affects your hormones as well. Now I feel fine, and it seems as if menstruation is getting progressively less painful and my moods are better as time goes on.

Mis-behave is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksagle View Post
    I wish I craved salt! The 2 or 3 days before my period all I seem to want is chocolate and sugar. It's crazy! I tried some dark chocolate and pretty much could have eaten the entire bar. Not only that, I tend to be absolutely ravenous the few days leading up to it - I feel like I could eat the entire world if I tried....
    I also take a chromium supplement which in my opinion seems to help with the chocolate cravings.. I also make some coconut crack bars .. Can't remember where I got the recipe ..

Coconut Crack Bars

Makes 6-8 bars

1 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened) (80g)
    1/4 cup honey or pure maple syrup (or 1/4 cup water and 2-3 nunaturals stevia packs)
    2 tbsp virgin coconut oil (See nutrition info link below, for all substitution notes on this recipe.)
    1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
    1/8 tsp salt
    Combine all ingredients in a food processor. (Perhaps you can mix by hand if you donít have a food processor, but I havenít tried.) Squish into any small container (I used a 7◊5) and fridge for an hour before trying to cut. (Or freeze for 15 minutes.) Can be stored in the fridge or freezer, for at least a few weeks.

alleycat is offline Junior Member
    Hello,

I've had some trouble with my periods since going primal. I've always had regular periods, never missed 1, and since I started primal at the start of this year, my periods were less and less. Now, for the last 5 months, I've had no period. I'm gonna have to make myself go to the dr soon because something with my thyroid is apparently not working correctly. I'm eating more sweet potatoes, dairy and fruit so hopefully I'll get it next month. :-(

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Data point: I haven't seen any difference pre- or post-primal. My cycle responds more to stress and exercise than diet.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Ashtangi@ is offline Junior Member
    Hi there. Just wondering what you mean by "chemical free" diet. Thank you!

drheather is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My cycle seems to have sped up as well-though I went off the pill 3 months ago and am in perimenopause so every month is an adventure. Current cycle is 23-24 days. As others noted it is lighter than it used to be.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123