Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lumpy cream page

Amica is offline Member

Lumpy cream

Primal Fuel
    I've been buying cream at my local farmer's market. For some reason, the cream always gets lumpy after a couple days. Like there will be one big, Greek yogurt-textured lump in the bottle. If I can avoid pouring the lump into my coffee, the rest of the cream is fine. Anyone had this problem before? What's going on?

jakey is offline Senior Member
    it's self-churning to butter! seriously, let your nose be your guide. if it smells okay, it's okay.

Paleobird Guest
    Raw cream has a tendency to do this more than pasteurized but it's not bad. As jakey said, "the nose knows".

Hedonist2 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    it's self-churning to butter! seriously, let your nose be your guide. if it smells okay, it's okay.
    Ah! So that's it. And the more lumpy it gets, the more I shake it up. LOL
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Amica is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Raw cream has a tendency to do this more than pasteurized but it's not bad. As jakey said, "the nose knows".
    Yeah, my cream is lower-temp pasteurized, whereas the few times I've bought conventional cream its never happened.

Anyway, thanks for the info everyone.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    For a second, the thread title gave me the heebie-jeebies, thinking how painful that would be for the poor man.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    For a second, the thread title gave me the heebie-jeebies, thinking how painful that would be for the poor man.
    Oooooh gurrrrrrrrrl, you so NASTY!

In other news - when my family and I went to England when I was ten, I was ENTHRALLED with the
    heavy cream there.

The fact that *IT* was in those little single serve plastic pour thingies instead of
    stupid ass half and half.

I had learned earlier, that year, in the 4th grade that if you shake heavy cream,
    it will turn to butter...

So, the ENTIRE time we were there, 10 days, I would plague my mother and father
    (who were divorced 4yrs but still friends...... apropos of nothing, but I *am* the queen
    of nonsequiturs, so sue me) every time they had coffee: "if I shake this, will it turn to
    butter? if I shake this, will it turn to butter? will it? will it? will it?"

Say this twenty times, three times a day, really fast and excitedly...... It's almost as
    annoying as "are we there yet?!!!"

So anyway, they said yes, but not to do it because it would be too embarrassing
    to have their 10yo daughter sitting there at the table, in England, shaking up creamers.

SO! When we got home, and I went to my dad's house the next weekend, the man obliged
    me (cuz I always get my way with daddy... even now at 43), got me a half pint of heavy cream
    a glass jar, some salt, dumped it in, put on the lid and I shook that mofo for a good long time
    until, guess what - that's right, it was a big ol' blob of butter.

So, there's my story no one asked for.

Tra la la la la la la.

Back to the loony bin,

Julie

Bron is offline Senior Member
    Julie, if you drop that jar of cream, all 2 litres of it, it makes a HUGE mess. Ask me how I know But gosh, when you don't drop it, it is the best tasting butter ever!

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Two liters? Holy effballs! You Krazy with a K!

And, yes, I agree, it WAS/IS the best tasting butter on the planet.

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    You guys just made my night . Now to go get me some heavy cream...
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast