Thread: Another annoying "What weight kettlebell should I buy" thread page

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member

Another annoying "What weight kettlebell should I buy" thread

Shop Now
    We have canceled our gym membership (will still pay a walk-in fee on occasion. Gotta squat. Gotta.), and I'm looking to buy a kettlebell on Amazon to do supplementary LHT workouts at home without equipment taking up much space. I already have an adjustable homemade 100# sandbag and a built-in pullup bar.

I'm a little fella, 135-140#. Medium-strong for my size.

Best 1RM deadlift to date was 365# with no wraps/belts/etc (a little chalk)

Bottom line is I still want to be lifting heavy to gain strength. Jiu Jitsu gives me all the endurance work I need.

I'm not really up on the different styles of kettlebelling (or whether kettlebelling is actually a word).

I have a 40# KB in my Amazon cart and I'm just second-guessing myself. Will that be too heavy for me to get started? I'm pretty coordinated (which I know matters to a degree).

Will it be too light for me to do truly heavy lifting? Should I get a 55#er and work my way UP to being strong enough to perform any exercises with it?

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    I'd definitely opt for the 55lb +, if not a bit more. If the primary reason for you getting it is for heavy lifting then anything less just won't cut it. Sure, you can swing it 100's of times but that is not heavy lifting.

Do you (or have you done) any single arm dumbbell work? It'll be a useful gauge for some of the exercises.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    I'd definitely opt for the 55lb +, if not a bit more. If the primary reason for you getting it is for heavy lifting then anything less just won't cut it. Sure, you can swing it 100's of times but that is not heavy lifting.

Do you (or have you done) any single arm dumbbell work? It'll be a useful gauge for some of the exercises.
    Yeah, I do sets of 5 per side DB Clean & Jerks with 75's.

goneprimal is offline Member
    I probably have a similar deadlift, (I weigh 165#) and am very active, and recently purchased a 60 pounder. It was probably "too" heavy at first, but with practice, google, and more practice, I have been able to maintain proper form and progress rapidly. After about a month and a half I still feel it is an optimal weight. When I started, I could only do one or two clean and presses on either arm; now, I can finish sets but my heartrate still skyrockets.

I believe the most effective exercise is the 2 handed swing, and higher weighted bells are better for that. If you buy a heavy bell you can simply do 2-handed swings until you are strong enough to do other exercises with it.

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the above. The 28 or 32kg would be the best place to start, but I actually find the one-hand swing to be more effective, switching hands every 10 or so reps a la Bud Jeffries. You have to work harder (especially when it comes to resisting rotation) and it prepares you a little better for the clean, snatch, etc.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Man, I'm glad I asked you guys. I probably would have felt like the 40# was a waste of money. Now to find the best deal on a 28kg for me and a 12kg for the GF.

Thanks everyone.