Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I've FINALLY broken through my weight/fat loss plateau!!

Hybrid View

I've FINALLY broken through my weight/fat loss plateau!!

You know what I discovered? Calories count!! I stalled in Dec., and even gained 4-5 lbs. (on a very small frame), and I tried everything I could think of, cutting out nuts, leptin reset, IF, etc., and nothing helped. Then I discovered Leangains (I'd already been lifting heavy and IFing) which introduced me to carb cycling and forced me to take an honest look at the calories I was consuming, and to count them and plan for them. It's been only two weeks, and I've dropped 5 lbs. and more importantly, lost 2 inches on my belly, and have an almost flat tummy, and visible abs starting to form! Amazing! I just wanted to share this, because I bought into the whole "as long as I'm eating Paleo foods and lots of fat and low carbs, calories don't matter and there's no way I can gain fat", and based on my experience it's not true. Ladies, I am 47 years old, have 4 kids, and am losing belly fat, it can be done, but you have to track what you are eating honestly, and you cannot overeat, even good Paleo foods and fats. (Steps down from soapbox)

Thanks for posting this. I've been at a standstill for about 6 months, gaining and losing the same 3 lbs. I've tried IF, I've cut out nuts, fruit, dairy and nothing has helped. I just started calorie counting as well, hopefully it will work as well for me as it did for you.

It's true, and a good reminder. Can you tell us what your calorie and carb levels are? Obviously we're all different but it's always helpful to get ideas and perspective from others. Congrats on breaking through your plateau.

Congratulations! I'm at a plateau myself... Like McJess asked, could you please post what your calorie and carb levels are for a normal day? Also, how much fat and protein do you eat? It does help to get perspectives from others!

You mentioned leangains. Could you tell me more about that or what exactly it is? Congrats again on breaking your plateau. That's awesome!

That's really awesome, congrats!!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by spincycle View Post
    You know what I discovered? Calories count!! I stalled in Dec., and even gained 4-5 lbs. (on a very small frame), and I tried everything I could think of, cutting out nuts, leptin reset, IF, etc., and nothing helped. Then I discovered Leangains (I'd already been lifting heavy and IFing) which introduced me to carb cycling and forced me to take an honest look at the calories I was consuming, and to count them and plan for them. It's been only two weeks, and I've dropped 5 lbs. and more importantly, lost 2 inches on my belly, and have an almost flat tummy, and visible abs starting to form! Amazing! I just wanted to share this, because I bought into the whole "as long as I'm eating Paleo foods and lots of fat and low carbs, calories don't matter and there's no way I can gain fat", and based on my experience it's not true. Ladies, I am 47 years old, have 4 kids, and am losing belly fat, it can be done, but you have to track what you are eating honestly, and you cannot overeat, even good Paleo foods and fats. (Steps down from soapbox)
    Huzzah! I like rational thought!!!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread24580.html

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29501.html
    Last edited by Paleobird; 07-12-2012 at 02:57 PM.

I believe I am finally thinking rationally after getting drawn in by thinking I could eat all I wanted as long as it was Primal food. I was really searching for the magic bullet and the outlier explanation about why I'd stalled, when the answer is pretty simple. I think I didn't want to face up to the fact that there is no free lunch so to speak, and that I was going to have to control my caloric intake, something I really didn't want to do. I am not analytical, and I really don't like tracking macros and calories, but I have to if I'm going to reach my goals.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by spincycle View Post
    I believe I am finally thinking rationally after getting drawn in by thinking I could eat all I wanted as long as it was Primal food. I was really searching for the magic bullet and the outlier explanation about why I'd stalled, when the answer is pretty simple. I think I didn't want to face up to the fact that there is no free lunch so to speak, and that I was going to have to control my caloric intake, something I really didn't want to do. I am not analytical, and I really don't like tracking macros and calories, but I have to if I'm going to reach my goals.
    Mark did a post called "17 reasons why you are not losing weight", number eight of which was "You're eating too much". It was the ultimate pacepalm "Duh" moment. As soon as I cut the calories the scale started moving downward again.

I think there is an element of magical thinking involved in the "throw away your scale, eat lots of bacon, and be happy" diet. Then there are the countless "why isn't it working?" threads by people eating this way.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/17-re...#axzz20SORcLhP
    Last edited by Paleobird; 07-12-2012 at 05:15 PM. Reason: add link

I'm so glad you discovered this! It works great once you find the right balance!

I'd be curious to see the differences that you made. Was it strictly amounts or did you do something different? A comparison of "before" and "after" meals would be great.
    Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.