Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I've FINALLY broken through my weight/fat loss plateau!! page

spincycle is offline Senior Member

I've FINALLY broken through my weight/fat loss plateau!!

Shop Now
    You know what I discovered? Calories count!! I stalled in Dec., and even gained 4-5 lbs. (on a very small frame), and I tried everything I could think of, cutting out nuts, leptin reset, IF, etc., and nothing helped. Then I discovered Leangains (I'd already been lifting heavy and IFing) which introduced me to carb cycling and forced me to take an honest look at the calories I was consuming, and to count them and plan for them. It's been only two weeks, and I've dropped 5 lbs. and more importantly, lost 2 inches on my belly, and have an almost flat tummy, and visible abs starting to form! Amazing! I just wanted to share this, because I bought into the whole "as long as I'm eating Paleo foods and lots of fat and low carbs, calories don't matter and there's no way I can gain fat", and based on my experience it's not true. Ladies, I am 47 years old, have 4 kids, and am losing belly fat, it can be done, but you have to track what you are eating honestly, and you cannot overeat, even good Paleo foods and fats. (Steps down from soapbox)

DoraV is offline Member
    Thanks for posting this. I've been at a standstill for about 6 months, gaining and losing the same 3 lbs. I've tried IF, I've cut out nuts, fruit, dairy and nothing has helped. I just started calorie counting as well, hopefully it will work as well for me as it did for you.

McJess is offline Junior Member
    It's true, and a good reminder. Can you tell us what your calorie and carb levels are? Obviously we're all different but it's always helpful to get ideas and perspective from others. Congrats on breaking through your plateau.

Theresa92 is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations! I'm at a plateau myself... Like McJess asked, could you please post what your calorie and carb levels are for a normal day? Also, how much fat and protein do you eat? It does help to get perspectives from others!

You mentioned leangains. Could you tell me more about that or what exactly it is? Congrats again on breaking your plateau. That's awesome!

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    That's really awesome, congrats!!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by spincycle View Post
    You know what I discovered? Calories count!! I stalled in Dec., and even gained 4-5 lbs. (on a very small frame), and I tried everything I could think of, cutting out nuts, leptin reset, IF, etc., and nothing helped. Then I discovered Leangains (I'd already been lifting heavy and IFing) which introduced me to carb cycling and forced me to take an honest look at the calories I was consuming, and to count them and plan for them. It's been only two weeks, and I've dropped 5 lbs. and more importantly, lost 2 inches on my belly, and have an almost flat tummy, and visible abs starting to form! Amazing! I just wanted to share this, because I bought into the whole "as long as I'm eating Paleo foods and lots of fat and low carbs, calories don't matter and there's no way I can gain fat", and based on my experience it's not true. Ladies, I am 47 years old, have 4 kids, and am losing belly fat, it can be done, but you have to track what you are eating honestly, and you cannot overeat, even good Paleo foods and fats. (Steps down from soapbox)
    Huzzah! I like rational thought!!!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread24580.html

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29501.html
    Last edited by Paleobird; 07-12-2012 at 02:57 PM.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I'm so glad you discovered this! It works great once you find the right balance!

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member
    I'd be curious to see the differences that you made. Was it strictly amounts or did you do something different? A comparison of "before" and "after" meals would be great.
    Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

Here are my calorie and macro goals, I'm on a cut to lose fat so I eat at a calorie deficit on rest days (my Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is calculated at 1586 calories daily, I'm very small though, 4'10" and currently 105 lbs. Per the LeanGains protocol, rest days I eat 1237 calories, low carb (30g, 10%, 119 cal)/high fat (76g, 55%, 683 cal) and workout days (very heavy lifting) I eat 1586 calories, high carb (204g, 51.5%, 817 cal)/low fat (37g, 21%, 333 cal). Protein is kept the same both days and is fairly high since I'm trying to build muscle (109 g, 436 cal). Here's the IF calculator I used: IF Calculator
    Most of the information is on Martin Berkhan's site leangains.com, it was confusing for me to navigate and there's so much info. to wade through, but this might be a good place to start to get an overview.
    Leigh Peele Blog Archive Martin Berkhan And Intermittent Fasting: Interview
    And although he doesn't believe you need to be Paleo or Primal, I am Primal and get my carbs from starchy tubers, mostly sweet potatoes, and squashes and some white rice.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by spincycle; 07-12-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KestrelSF View Post
    I'd be curious to see the differences that you made. Was it strictly amounts or did you do something different? A comparison of "before" and "after" meals would be great.
    Two things are very different, 1. calorie amounts (I'm eating at a deficit now, 1237 on rest days, 1586 on workout days. I never calculated calories before, so I don't know for sure, but I'd estimate it used to be 1800+ daily, and 2. carb cycling, much higher carbs and lower fat on workout days and low carbs and higher fat on rest days.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast