Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I've FINALLY broken through my weight/fat loss plateau!! page 3

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    My weight loss will stall if I don't restrict my calories a bit...I CANNOT eat however I want...at least that's how it works for me. I measure everything. I eat approx 60% fat 30% protein and 10% carbs.

I also found I need to lift 3 times a week. Not heavy but somewhere in between beginner/intermediate stage. I will increase my weight after I get everything used to lifting. Been at it 6 weeks and my body started to change immediately. Not huge but I can feel it.
    Last edited by Moochy; 07-12-2012 at 08:00 PM.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Inksplat View Post
    Honestly, I think you can eat as much as you want. But it requires adjusting that idea of why you want to eat as much as you are in the first place. I think its a matter of re-learning nutritional values subconsciously. Caloric density is totally out of whack from a SAD way of eating, and so you end up trying to fill a plate the same size, not because you actually need it or want it, but because that's just the way its always been.

Even when IFing, people seem to want huge meals on either side, as if to "prepare" themselves. When really, it should be about learning what your hunger feels like, and how much you actually need to eat.
    I think this is very true and tracking your intake for a while can help you get a better idea of what you really need (and don't need).

Also, when you are attempting weight loss with a less than well functioning metabolism, it is hard to know what is really hunger. Everyone says, "Listen to your body" but sometimes your body is too messed up to know what to tell you. In that case you have to impose some controls from the brain down until you can heal enough to be able to eat intuitively.

spincycle is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    Does leangains work -- even marginally -- if you don't exercise? I never liked to exercise, and I'm fighting off a bout of depression these past few months, so exercise has fallen to zip. I suppose I could adjust the calories accordingly.
    I'm not sure Leangains is what you're looking for, but it depends on what you mean by does it "work". I think fasting in general is a super tool for manageable calorie restriction, plus the added benefits of increased insulin sensitivity and increased production of HGH. There is a good discussion on Fast 5 (5 hr. feeding window, 19 hrs. fasting) here http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread49481.html which is the one I follow. I'm really sorry to hear you're suffering from depression, does it help when you do exercise? Even if it's just being outdoors and going for a long walk?

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I think this is very true and tracking your intake for a while can help you get a better idea of what you really need (and don't need).

Also, when you are attempting weight loss with a less than well functioning metabolism, it is hard to know what is really hunger. Everyone says, "Listen to your body" but sometimes your body is too messed up to know what to tell you. In that case you have to impose some controls from the brain down until you can heal enough to be able to eat intuitively.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by cayla29s View Post
    Can you explain why eat low fat on training days? Does this have something to do with the fact that fat tends to slow absorption of carbs and protein?
    I am no expert, I'm still learning, but I think that is exactly why you eat low fat on training days. From what I understand, you want to spike your insulin post workout, so you eat a carb heavy meal, and the insulin shuttles the glucose into the waiting muscle cells. Fat would blunt the insulin response. I have to say, after being carb-phobic for so long, it is really, really fun to learn how to eat this way, I've rediscovered sweet potato fries and pumpkin pancakes and fat free frozen yogurt- yum!

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    So is leangains strictly for weighlifting? I do some resistance training, but the bulk of my exercise is cardio. Would the protocol be the same no matter what?

mike_h is offline Senior Member
    Well Leangains is basically about body composition, and the muscle side of that equation requires strength training.
    You could apply a 14/10 hr fast/feed window to whatever you're doing but I wouldn't really call it Leangains. Try it, see how you feel.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    thanks for this post...I DO think I need to spend some time tracking my calories and can't just say -- hey it;s primal so I can eat it! What do you use...fitday?

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    There are several I've used. Myfitnesspal, myplate but the latest one I've used is Paleotrack. I really like Paleotrack.

john_solo is offline Senior Member
    I don't really 'lift' but rather do intense bodyweight routines (think Crossfit WODs). For example, one of my favorites is five rounds of 15 reps each of: squats, pull-ups, box jumps, double-unders, and pushups. Would that count as a lifting day for Leangains/carb cycling purposes?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast