Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I've FINALLY broken through my weight/fat loss plateau!! page 2

spincycle is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I believe I am finally thinking rationally after getting drawn in by thinking I could eat all I wanted as long as it was Primal food. I was really searching for the magic bullet and the outlier explanation about why I'd stalled, when the answer is pretty simple. I think I didn't want to face up to the fact that there is no free lunch so to speak, and that I was going to have to control my caloric intake, something I really didn't want to do. I am not analytical, and I really don't like tracking macros and calories, but I have to if I'm going to reach my goals.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by spincycle View Post
    I believe I am finally thinking rationally after getting drawn in by thinking I could eat all I wanted as long as it was Primal food. I was really searching for the magic bullet and the outlier explanation about why I'd stalled, when the answer is pretty simple. I think I didn't want to face up to the fact that there is no free lunch so to speak, and that I was going to have to control my caloric intake, something I really didn't want to do. I am not analytical, and I really don't like tracking macros and calories, but I have to if I'm going to reach my goals.
    Mark did a post called "17 reasons why you are not losing weight", number eight of which was "You're eating too much". It was the ultimate pacepalm "Duh" moment. As soon as I cut the calories the scale started moving downward again.

I think there is an element of magical thinking involved in the "throw away your scale, eat lots of bacon, and be happy" diet. Then there are the countless "why isn't it working?" threads by people eating this way.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/17-re...#axzz20SORcLhP
    Last edited by Paleobird; 07-12-2012 at 05:15 PM. Reason: add link

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spincycle View Post
    Here are my calorie and macro goals, I'm on a cut to lose fat so I eat at a calorie deficit on rest days (my Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is calculated at 1586 calories daily, I'm very small though, 4'10" and currently 105 lbs. Per the LeanGains protocol, rest days I eat 1237 calories, low carb (30g, 10%, 119 cal)/high fat (76g, 55%, 683 cal) and workout days (very heavy lifting) I eat 1586 calories, high carb (204g, 51.5%, 817 cal)/low fat (37g, 21%, 333 cal). Protein is kept the same both days and is fairly high since I'm trying to build muscle (109 g, 436 cal). Here's the IF calculator I used: IF Calculator
    Most of the information is on Martin Berkhan's site leangains.com, it was confusing for me to navigate and there's so much info. to wade through, but this might be a good place to start to get an overview.
    Leigh Peele » Blog Archive » Martin Berkhan And Intermittent Fasting: Interview
    And although he doesn't believe you need to be Paleo or Primal, I am Primal and get my carbs from starchy tubers, mostly sweet potatoes, and squashes and some white rice.
    Do you do any cardio? if so do you eat high carbs on those days as well? I haven't hit a plateau yet but I might try this carb and calorie cyling once I stop losing. I don't have much to lose but that last 7 lbs can be a bit harder to lose.

Inksplat is offline Member
    Honestly, I think you can eat as much as you want. But it requires adjusting that idea of why you want to eat as much as you are in the first place. I think its a matter of re-learning nutritional values subconsciously. Caloric density is totally out of whack from a SAD way of eating, and so you end up trying to fill a plate the same size, not because you actually need it or want it, but because that's just the way its always been.

Even when IFing, people seem to want huge meals on either side, as if to "prepare" themselves. When really, it should be about learning what your hunger feels like, and how much you actually need to eat. And trying to build muscle doesn't help either, because then you get into a "gotta build muscle! Gotta eat meat!" and then you're just totally screwing with things. You're anticipating what your body will need rather than responding to what it actually needs.

Not only that, but at least in spincycle's case, it sounds like she was already a pretty low bodyfat %. "Ideal weight" for 4'10 woman with a small frame is like 89-99 pounds. But if she can do "very heavy lifting", then she's probably got a decent bit of muscle on her, which totally skews that.

spincycle is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cayla29s View Post
    Do you do any cardio? if so do you eat high carbs on those days as well? I haven't hit a plateau yet but I might try this carb and calorie cyling once I stop losing. I don't have much to lose but that last 7 lbs can be a bit harder to lose.
    I do spin one day a week to keep hubby company, I consider that a rest day, so low carb, low cal, high fat. And I will say I was ok with my weight before I embarked on this two weeks ago, but I really wanted to lose the belly fat, the only place I'm not lean. Maybe I'll decide that I'm happier not tracking and eating what I want within a Primal framework and accepting the belly, because it really takes a lot for most women to reach the flat belly/visible abs stage. So like you, I don't have much to lose, but it's going to take extraordinary measures to lose it.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Holy moly! I went on the Leangains website to try to do some reading on what it's all about.....the website is really hard to navigate.

mike_h is offline Senior Member
    Marissa—that's the downside to using Blog software (which focuses on organizing things chronologically) for this sort of info.

These are the main points of the Leangains protocol:
    • IF daily for 14 hours (women) or 16 hours (men)
    • Try to be consistent with fast/feeding times
    • Eat 20% below energy expenditure on rest days, 20% above on workout days
    • Eat higher carb, low fat on workout days, lower carb, higher fat on rest days
    • Do heavy lifting, reverse pyramid (i.e. starting with the heaviest weight you can and reducing each set). Barbell squats, deadlifts & others.
    • Ideally, workout at the end of your fast and make the post-workout meal (immediately after training) the largest of the day

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Does leangains work -- even marginally -- if you don't exercise? I never liked to exercise, and I'm fighting off a bout of depression these past few months, so exercise has fallen to zip. I suppose I could adjust the calories accordingly.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_h View Post
    Marissa—that's the downside to using Blog software (which focuses on organizing things chronologically) for this sort of info.

These are the main points of the Leangains protocol:
    • IF daily for 14 hours (women) or 16 hours (men)
    • Try to be consistent with fast/feeding times
    • Eat 20% below energy expenditure on rest days, 20% above on workout days
    • Eat higher carb, low fat on workout days, lower carb, higher fat on rest days
    • Do heavy lifting, reverse pyramid (i.e. starting with the heaviest weight you can and reducing each set). Barbell squats, deadlifts & others.
    • Ideally, workout at the end of your fast and make the post-workout meal (immediately after training) the largest of the day
    Can you explain why eat low fat on training days? Does this have something to do with the fact that fat tends to slow absorption of carbs and protein?

Inksplat is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    Does leangains work -- even marginally -- if you don't exercise? I never liked to exercise, and I'm fighting off a bout of depression these past few months, so exercise has fallen to zip. I suppose I could adjust the calories accordingly.
    There are quite a few IF diets out there. 19-5 is a decently popular one, for instance. Its the one I'm incorporating at the moment. 19-hour fasts, 5-hour feeding windows. But a lot of IF diets allow you to eat whatever you want during the window. So, I figured mixing it with Primal eating can only be for the better.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast