Thread: What is your favorite crushed tomato? page

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member

What is your favorite crushed tomato?

I'd rather make my own, but alas it is a short season and I have not prepared or canned any last year.

Moving on. What is the best variety you have tried? I'm meaning the 28oz cans probably....I've found some sauteed onion and garlic with crushed tomato (a quick marinara) and a couple raw egg yolks can be added to almost any dish and makes it better .....must be the Italian in me.

Anyhow, I've used mainly Cento and Muir Glen Organic. Any other recommendations in terms of flavor, avoiding GM tomatoes, or other nutritional comments?

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Pomi. Comes in a red box. Like a big juice box with no straw. No BPA concerns, and Mark even endorsed them in one of his posts (good luck finding it).

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member
    Why not just use real tomatoes? Cook them whole then pull off peels if desired and crush. I do big pots this way and freeze whatever I don't use. It's also the way to make tomatoe puree(paste) and or gravy for marinara and other Italian style dishes

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Red Gold brand. I haven't checked the GMO thing, or the can thing, even though I am aware of both issues, just because I have a real pile of it in my pantry and we love the taste. Most of the cans are the "chili ready" style of this brand.

If you belong to Costco, they have 28 oz. Cento brand San Marzano (Italy) peeled tomatoes. It's a quick hop to the blender to crush your own, and the price ($3.59) can't be beat. Very nice sweet and tangy flavor. When I make a tomato sauce, I usually just crush them by hand and simmer with olive oil and garlic until the tomatoes break down a bit.

Whole tomatoes aren't packed with calcium chloride, which most crushed tomatoes are. Might not be a big deal, but I like just getting tomatoes, period.

One that looks me in the eyes as I say to it:
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    I want to reiterate that you want these

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I want to reiterate that you want these
    I'd heard of those but never seen them in our local stores. There's a Wegmans nearby that appears to carry them ($2.49 for 26 oz.), so I'll try them out too. Thanks for the suggestion.

turtle64 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hands down, Pastene. Not easy to find but well worth it.