Thread: Experience with Candida Overgrowth in gut? page

ciavyn is offline Senior Member

Experience with Candida Overgrowth in gut?

Primal Fuel
    I have some questions, as I'm not really sure where to ask. Many of the candida forums are so focused on a low fat, vegetarian diet it's nauseating. My doc diagnosed me with candida overgrowth in my stomach, and gave me a diet list based on Doug Kaufmann's study. I do not eat any sugars, even the suggested fruits. I'm Primal/paleo already, and have celiac's disease.

I have been on the diet for one week, take nystatin for antifungal, as well as two antifungal natural supplements recommended by a nutritionist.

Questions:
    1. All foods bloat me all the time. is there anything to do to mitigate this even a little while I'm ridding myself of this plague?
    2. My energy has gone into the ground, and my post nasal drip is intense. Does this fall into the die-off symptoms? They say flu-like symptoms, but I don't know that I have chills or anything. I'm wondering if the sudden decrease of carbs is the issue, or if it's the die-off...or both.
    3. Gross question alert: does it show up in your elimination? I have read people say that it does, and others say that it is too minute to be seen with the naked eye.
    4. Despite a week of low-carb and surprisingly low -- though within acceptable range (1400) -- calories, my body is holding onto weight as though it won't have another meal.

That's the start. I feel out of my ballgame, as I have never limited my food this much before. This makes Primal Living look EASY.

Daily diet:
    1. AM: Coconut milk, coconut oil, 2 eggs, cinnamon, in a smoothie.
    2. Snack: Raw macadamia nuts, 1 oz.
    3. Lunch: bone broth with meat, zucchini, spinach, and chives. Spring mix salad with apple cider vinegar and olive oil.
    4. Snack: if needed, more nuts or a serving a green beans with butter.
    5. Dinner: red meat or fish with allowed seasonings, veggie mix as allowed or another salad.

Any thoughts or experiences shared are most appreciated and welcome.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Check out these sites:
    Curing Candida, How to Get Started
    GAPS diet - the diet for helping with learning disabilities, psychiatric disorders and physical problems, such as autism, hyperactivity and attention deficit, dyslexia, dyspraxia, depression, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, obsessive-compulsive diso

GAPS is perfect for Candida as it's focused on re-tuning your gut. It sounds like you are kind of already doing it. There are some recommended meals included in most GAPS guides.

I would urge you to cut out the nuts. Nuts often carry mold, which will not help in replenishing your gut flora. The vinegar may not be a good idea either, as it has yeast in it. Are you eating any probiotics as part of those natural supplements?

You should not be able to see yeast in your elimination, but your elimination consistency will change. Many people experience diarrhea during die-off. Your energy and post-nasal drip sound like die-off symptoms. I've been doing a kind of lazy anti-candida diet for most of this year. I get flare ups every couple of months (yeast infections), but usually only if I eat anything that does not fall under a paleo/primal paradigm.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Wow. Thank you for that first site (been to the GAPS already). That is impressive.

Nuts, from what I understand, can carry mold, but not necessarily do or will harm you as long as you buy them fresh and don't store them for long. I buy raw macadamias by an organic company with airtight packaging...but I may get rid of them anyway just to see if I can go without snacking. Re: apple cider vinegar is the only vinegar that is approved for the diet, pretty much across the board, as it has antifungal properties. But I'll watch my reactions...I'm just hoping they will soon change! It seems I'm always bloated, even on water, so here's hoping.

Thank you very, very much.

kkratz57 is offline Senior Member
    I swear there are so many different variations of an anti-Candida diet it makes my head spin! The ones that allow some 'healthy whole grains' crack me up the most.

Anywho, as for your questions:

1) Bloat -- try some ginger tea or peppermint tea. Sometimes fermented foods are poo-pooed on an anti-candida plan, but I notice my bloat goes down when I add some Kombucha tea to the mix. A 16-oz bottle typically lasts me 2-3 days and helps me out tremendously
    2) Energy -- oh yeah. Sounds like a combo of die-off and ultra-low carb flu. I was absolutely zapped last night myself.
    3) Gross stuff -- When I battled this before, I went through a phase of voluminous bm's -- almost felt cleansing -- like my pants will fit better afterwards and I just eliminated a bunch of toxic crap (literally). Then they got more 'normal' -- right consistency, frequency and no undigested food particles. Talk about gross, eh?
    4) This is where you really don't wanna stress your body. Don't count calories. Eat as much as you absolutely need to stay satisfied. Keep those wonderfully sourced macadamias in there if it helps.

Like nameless, I've been half-assing it myself (primal + I have a booze-tooth). I've been trying to be VLC, but with my thyroid issues, I'm afraid if I continue too long on it, it'll take its toll. It's all a freaking lovely balancing act!

A practitioner I worked with on the other side of the state said if you eat a clean, lower carb diet and have really good, potent supplements, you're set. I'm sure there are bad cases that require more stringent guidelines, but I like the simplicity.

Quote Originally Posted by kkratz57 View Post
    I swear there are so many different variations of an anti-Candida diet it makes my head spin! The ones that allow some 'healthy whole grains' crack me up the most.

Anywho, as for your questions:

1) Bloat -- try some ginger tea or peppermint tea. Sometimes fermented foods are poo-pooed on an anti-candida plan, but I notice my bloat goes down when I add some Kombucha tea to the mix. A 16-oz bottle typically lasts me 2-3 days and helps me out tremendously
    2) Energy -- oh yeah. Sounds like a combo of die-off and ultra-low carb flu. I was absolutely zapped last night myself.
    3) Gross stuff -- When I battled this before, I went through a phase of voluminous bm's -- almost felt cleansing -- like my pants will fit better afterwards and I just eliminated a bunch of toxic crap (literally). Then they got more 'normal' -- right consistency, frequency and no undigested food particles. Talk about gross, eh?
    4) This is where you really don't wanna stress your body. Don't count calories. Eat as much as you absolutely need to stay satisfied. Keep those wonderfully sourced macadamias in there if it helps.

Like nameless, I've been half-assing it myself (primal + I have a booze-tooth). I've been trying to be VLC, but with my thyroid issues, I'm afraid if I continue too long on it, it'll take its toll. It's all a freaking lovely balancing act!

A practitioner I worked with on the other side of the state said if you eat a clean, lower carb diet and have really good, potent supplements, you're set. I'm sure there are bad cases that require more stringent guidelines, but I like the simplicity.
    1. YES! It's driving me bonkers. I'm using one that is basically just meat and veggies, with nuts and fats on the side. To hell with trying to add in stuff.

2. Good to know I'm not alone. That is what was worrying me, as I don't have anyone to compare notes with. Today, however, my energy is back, and I feel...:whispers: sort of better. I'm scared it's fleeting, as I felt moderately better last weekend, before everything fell apart.

3. Um, gross? Yes. Valuable to discuss? Yep. Again, thanks for the confirmation.

4. I'm trying really hard. I had an eating disorder growing up, and I still fall back into its clutches at times. Especially since lately I've put on weight despite eating really healthy and following all the rules. Now that I understand this may actually be the cause, I'm able to relax slightly.

I'm hesitant with the antibiotics. I ran out on Tuesday (I only had enough for four days), and my provider didn't send me any refills until yesterday. I didn't take it today because...well, I feel pretty good. The doc wants me on it for months. I'm hesitant to go there as I don't want to be on anything for very long. I don't like it.

Interesting tidbit for you: my thyroid has been testing all over the board. My one doc considered it a sign of Hashimoto's, not unusual given that I have Celiac's. This doc took one look at my wild thyroid numbers and suggested that it may all relate back to candida. So perhaps that might have something to do with your issue? Anyway, thought I'd tell you my corner of the world.

Thank you both for your awesome feedback. I <3 this forum for this very reason.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Also, get in touch with Patski. She's been dealing with candida for a while too and has written about it on her site.

I found Candex to be very helpful, but for only as long as I was on it. I'm trying Syntol now and it does not feel to be that effective (and it's SO expensive).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

BattalGazi is offline Junior Member
    What do you guys do if you starve sugar in cleansing phase?

Alfi56 is offline Senior Member
    Ill b honest im no expert, but maybe adding lemon water to your daily regimen might help, as i heard it helps digestion. As for your weight, i ttly understand your frustration but keep in mind gut health is very related to the stress on, and homeostasis of your body. Focus on healing your gut health first, and then your body might readjust and it will be easier to manage your weight/lose weight.

BattalGazi is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfi56 View Post
    Ill b honest im no expert, but maybe adding lemon water to your daily regimen might help, as i heard it helps digestion. As for your weight, i ttly understand your frustration but keep in mind gut health is very related to the stress on, and homeostasis of your body. Focus on healing your gut health first, and then your body might readjust and it will be easier to manage your weight/lose weight.
    It's cool. Yes, indeed any suggestions on how to reduce stress? Finding that part out is very hard to do :X

Grassfed4me is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Get a hair test. ( directlabs dot com , don't need a doc)

Analyze using Andy Cutler's rules for hair tests. Is there a chance you have mercury poisoning?

Remove amalgams if you have them.

Chelate.

For more information, read Mercury Poisoning the Undiagnosed Epidemic.