Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I setting myself up for failure? page

Bischov is offline Junior Member

Am I setting myself up for failure?

Primal Fuel
    I'm trying to lose body fat-bottom line.

I'm sixteen years old. 5'11, pushing six foot, and 210 pounds.

I've been eating primally for about 2-3 weeks. No wheat, industrial oils, PUFAs, etc.

I've maintained one principle- eat real food and you wont have a problem.

However, I've been on a ketogenic diet for the past two weeks. >50g carbs a day.

According to the scale, I've dropped 7 lbs in the last 2-3 weeks.
    My lifts haven't gone down, either.

BUUUT, my main concern is that I may be setting myself up for failure by being restrictive about carbs. I occasionally eat a banana and don't stress it. My cravings are gone and I don't stress on fruit. Also, I have no desire to binge.
    Should I Carb cycle, or wait until the body fat is gone to begin that?

I've apparently lost weight without affecting my lifts, but 7 lbs should have SOME impact on a 200 lb boy, right? I look the same and its really discouraging. I walk 5-7 hours a week on top of my 3 sessions of lifting. I dont sprint though.

Should I just stick to my routine of low carb -moderate carb, and wait for results? I know it hasn't been too long but its disheartening to see no difference at all after 3 weeks. I even think I look a bit fatter at times.

As far as calories go, maybe 1500-1700 a day. Am I being too restrictive on those
    I feel great. But my abdominal fat says otherwise.

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    If your not trying to Body build or get real strong for sports keep right on with what you are doing

If you want to get max strength/build I vote you check out leangains.

Ribbons is offline Senior Member
    I think it depends on how hard it is for you to maintain this diet/lifestyle. If it's too hard to stay very low carb then it doesn't matter, just eat a bit more carbs and a bit less fat. Try to find a variety of meat/vegetables/fruits that you like so you don't get bored with what you're eating. And don't get discouraged; it's only been a couple of weeks and you've already lost 7 pounds! You can't expect to completely change your body overnight.

ZenGopher is offline Junior Member
    You are setting yourself up for failure but not because you are low-carbing it but because you are expecting miracles in three weeks. A 7 pound loss is fine and no, it's not going to uncover a six-pack. Keep doing what you are doing and if you notice fatigue when lifting or exercising, by all means, up your carb intake and/or cycle to see what works. You are already noticing physical changes with regard to your eating habits (cravings abating); the rest will come. Patience Grasshopper.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Patience....keep breathing and don't stress....it sounds like you are on a good path (but add the sprints)
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

ciavyn is offline Senior Member
    Could just be me, but that seems like a ridiculously low amount of calories for a teenage boy. If you aren't counting them and that is what is filling you up, I guess...okay. But if you are restricting them, don't. You are very active, and you are telling your body that is all you are going to give it...so why would it want to give up anything more? Something doesn't add up there for me, but I'll leave it to the Primal experts to say whether I'm right or wrong.

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    Whatever your goals are, your diet and fitness needs to be 100% geared towards that. So keep low carb, add two sprint sessions, and one day a week eat more carbs than normal, say 200g and fast, I also suggest 'Leangains' google it

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Should I just stick to my routine of low carb -moderate carb, and wait for results? I know it hasn't been too long but its disheartening to see no difference at all after 3 weeks. I even think I look a bit fatter at times.

As far as calories go, maybe 1500-1700 a day. Am I being too restrictive on those
    I feel great. But my abdominal fat says otherwise.
    You may be building muscle under fat, which makes you look fatter.

Fat loss is weird. It doesn't just ooze off evenly. For me, all the sudden I just drop some fat. It gets painful, and flabby, then I see a loss on the scale, my pants are looser and things get less flabby.

As a teen boy fairly active- you should be able to eat more than 1500-1700 calories a day. And probably for your own health and well being, I'd think twice about cutting healthy carbs. Lose slowly- you are setting yourself up for long term health and cutting yourself back calorically and carb wise to levels that start making you eat oddly is not sustainable.

Give yourself 3 months. Don't cut calories or count them. Eat the primal foods. Eat a banana, a steak, veggies- whatever. Keep on with the workout. See how it works. After 3 months if you are not seeing a change, come back and start tweaking things.

Bischov is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the advice guys. I may just need more patience.

Ill definitely stop being so restrictive. If I'm eating real food, that's more important, right?

My main confusion with weight loss is due to the old mantra of Calories in calories out. I still believe some kind of deficit is required, but there's a lot of other factors I don't know about.

If I don't restrict, yet still eat primally, will I still lose weight?

Jena is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't count or measure anything I eat, but I stick to primal foods and I have lost 14 pounds. So I think your instincts to worry about good food versus calories are right on! Keep up the good work and you will get the results you desire

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast