Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the deal with Raw Food SOS and Denise Minger and Primal? page

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member

What's the deal with Raw Food SOS and Denise Minger and Primal?

Primal Fuel
    I'm the first to admit that I enjoy her debunkings of all the bogus studies that come down on red meat/paleo/primal/low carb/etc. However, I don't understand how she can eat what she eats and still thrive while doing the debunkings all at the same time lol.

I mean she is essentially a raw vegetarian foodist with some shellfish thrown in once or twice a week yet she says it's the best thing that ever happened to her. Is it different strokes for different folks? Will her health suffer in the end like many others? I would think she would have crazy blood sugar problems if the majority of her diet consists of fruit and veggies right?

It's just blowing my mind right now. I have to admit some days I just don't feel like all the meat/fat I'm supposed to eat, but I think that's probably the current pregnancy hormones talking. I'm still curious about Denise, though.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    She eats a complete whole foods low glycemic index diet. She said she felt horrible on grains and horrible on a low carb and meat heavy diet. Btw. If you have days where you don't feel like eating meat and fat then don't eat them. There's nothing worse than force feeding yourself and going against what your body is telling you it wants.

Ribbons is offline Senior Member
    She eats healthy natural foods that give her energy and make her feel good and she sounds like she knows what she's doing so I doubt she's going to let her health suffer just so she can maintain a mostly vegetarian diet. Also I agree with Forgotmylastusername that you shouldn't force yourself to eat meat and fat if you don't want them. I eat meat less than once a week. There isn't any rule that you have to eat lots of meat to be primal/paleo.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    There can be a lot of variety in what works for some people and doesn't for others. Her consistency with a primal eating approach is that grains and bad fats (and processed foods in general) don't fly, period, and I think that is true for *almost everyone* if they would give it a try. The #1 thing I take from this way of eating is that you have to learn to listen to what your body needs. Not hungry? Don't eat. Craving a steak? Get thee a steak! She seems pretty on top of that for herself and just happens to differ from what most people around here claim to eat.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    My Current Diet Raw Food SOS

She eats a bunch of raw fruits and vegetables, and animal products several times a week. Seafood, raw eggs, and occasional organ meats. Seafood and eggs are a major constituent of her diet--and that's great. Those are really nutrient-dense foods. Muscle meat isn't really all that awesome nutritionally (although it sure does taste good!) and you're not going to be deficient in anything if you skip it most of the time in favor of whole-animal foods and offal. She's also doing bone broth regularly which is a great source of minerals and fat-soluble vitamins. There's no shortage of animal food in her diet and what she does eat seems to be the nutritional cream of the crop to the exclusion of the less-worthwhile stuff. I think she's got it figured out, personally, and she looks gorgeous, so I have an easy time believing it works for her.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

jakey is offline Senior Member
    her diet sounds primal to me.

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member
    Well I guess what I have issue with is that she says that raw fruits compose the majority of her diet and the seafood is "a couple of times per week". I would completely agree that she had it nailed down if she didn't put the qualifications of that in the post.

Here it is:

"Basically, I eat a sort of raw food, plant-based, paleo-ish, Weston-A-Price style fusion. The stuff I eat the most of (from the biggest proportion of my diet to the smallest):

raw fruit
    raw vegetables
    seafood (oysters, mussels, clams, salmon, or tuna; the fish typically raw), a few times per week"

See where I'm getting confused? Also, what about her iron? Can you get enough iron from seafood a few times per week? I eat meat every single day, and I'm anemic! This is from an 80% primal pregnant lady lol....I shouldn't be anemic....how in the world is she not?

And what about all this fat we're supposed to be eating? She eats hardly none based on her list....a little coconut and a few eggs. Isn't she eating High Carb Low Fat...aka...the enemy of Primal?

I agree she is very pretty and healthy looking, but I'm wondering if it's just cause she is 25 and still young and might develop problems later on or if we have it wrong to a certain degree...like maybe less fat more raw foods but not in huge portions.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    is her diet high fat and low carb? no. but she's not a sisson acolyte, and the paleo tent is a broad one. some of us hew closer to a macro-agnostic template, a la kurt harris. still paleo, just not explicity high fat low carb. we can burn carbs for energy, you know...

her diet would not be to my liking, i prefer starch to fruit for fuel, and maybe it wouldn't work for you, with the anemia. but it's a wide, wide world.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldensparrow View Post
    Well I guess what I have issue with is that she says that raw fruits compose the majority of her diet and the seafood is "a couple of times per week". I would completely agree that she had it nailed down if she didn't put the qualifications of that in the post.

Here it is:

"Basically, I eat a sort of raw food, plant-based, paleo-ish, Weston-A-Price style fusion. The stuff I eat the most of (from the biggest proportion of my diet to the smallest):

raw fruit
    raw vegetables
    seafood (oysters, mussels, clams, salmon, or tuna; the fish typically raw), a few times per week"

See where I'm getting confused? Also, what about her iron? Can you get enough iron from seafood a few times per week? I eat meat every single day, and I'm anemic! This is from an 80% primal pregnant lady lol....I shouldn't be anemic....how in the world is she not?
    Lots of seafood has iron in it, as do some vegetables. There are also a whole bunch of causes of anemia besides low iron intake. You may have some other issue that is preventing you from absorbing enough of it.

And what about all this fat we're supposed to be eating? She eats hardly none based on her list....a little coconut and a few eggs. Isn't she eating High Carb Low Fat...aka...the enemy of Primal?
    Well, I personally disagree with the blanket high-fat low-carb prescription for everyone. A healthy person can assimilate carbohydrate as a primary energy source no problem.

And since when are seafood, eggs and broth low in fat? Tuna and salmon are quite fatty fish. There is SFA, MUFA and PUFA in eggs and broth, as well as coconut, which she eats. A healthy body will also create plenty of saturated fat from dietary carbohydrate via de novo lipogenesis, and the colon bacteria will produce butyric acid (a short chain saturated fat) from fiber and resistant starch. There's no shortage here.

I agree she is very pretty and healthy looking, but I'm wondering if it's just cause she is 25 and still young and might develop problems later on or if we have it wrong to a certain degree...like maybe less fat more raw foods but not in huge portions.
    I think there is a very broad range of possible healthy diets for most people and obsession over a certain macronutrient class is counterproductive to health. Eating high-fat is legitimate if you feel good on it, and so is high-carb. Fish and fruit is real, quality food just like steak and green beans.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

She couldn't possibly be healthy. She doesn't eat bacon.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast