Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What's the deal with Raw Food SOS and Denise Minger and Primal? page 5

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    In that case I'm sorry...
    Your wording was odd.
    In a thread about eating less meat and mostly lower calorie options you seemed to be asking for higher calories.

It's a matter of personal issues often as to what is filling.
    Some people find that cooked roots and tubers (potatoes, sweet potatoes, beets, etc.) can be very filling, other find that they stimulate appetite.
    Fruits can also be filling due to water content/volume, particularly the summer fruits like watermelon and other melons... but once again the natural sugars can stimulate some peoples appetite further.

Fat or Fatty foods eaten along with fruits and roots/tubers is a better bet for lasting satiety if that is an issue for you.
    Avocado, nuts, small portions of fatty meat to go with the fruit and veg.
    Canned coconut milk should make you full pretty fast...

You just aren't going to get a lot of calories without a huge volume of food with the fruits, veg, tubers/roots.
    If you are looking for calories you need to either hit higher volume or up the fat.

It's been a long time since I was able to eat much without digestive problems. And sometimes I struggle a bit with under eating. To fix that the canned coconut milk has helped, as well as adding some raw cream some days.
    But I do remember being young and eating a metric ton of food and having room for more.
    In my family the answer was you could have all the 'cheap' food you wanted... potatoes, veg, in season fruit, and milk and eggs when it was in high production... those foods were cheap because we raised them ourselves. And there was always enough to eat our fill until we were sick of them and still put plenty by for winter.
    Meat was rationed a bit tighter... but the portion everyone got was pretty generous... just not completely unlimited. More like about 8-10oz each per meal.
    My main problem is that I actually can't eat a lot in 1 sitting without feeling very uncomfortable. But I get hungry very fast after a meal. I can't really eat more than 1500 calories a meal. This may sound like a lot but I found out that with my activity level I lose weight if i eat less than 4000-4500 a day. I'm moving almost all day.
    But I'll try the coconut milk I think liquid won't make me feel uncomfortable quick
    Billie trips balls

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    honestly, gadsie, avocados are great, as are fruit, and whatever you want to eat. you don't hvae to eat just meat.

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member
    Denise is awesome! She updated her "Current Diet" post yesterday, so hot off the presses....

My Current Diet Raw Food SOS

She also answered my question about anemia, which it turns out is mostly the shellfish she eats that keeps her from being that like everyone said on here.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldensparrow View Post
    Denise is awesome! She updated her "Current Diet" post yesterday, so hot off the presses....

My Current Diet Raw Food SOS

She also answered my question about anemia, which it turns out is mostly the shellfish she eats that keeps her from being that like everyone said on here.
    That's pretty much a perfect example of "doing it right"- science and personal experimentation.

Brandon is offline Junior Member
    Doesn't it boil down to finding what works for your body. I mean everyone is different. Peggy at theprimalparent.com has an excellent article about this. She eats mainly meat I believe because a lot of fruits and veggies don't do well with her. She has a great story check her out. When Everybody Else’s Prescription Fails, Make Up Your Own | The Primal Parent
    Brandon "Big Daddy" Palmer

Good nutrition is medicine without the side effects!

Primaldays.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    That's pretty much a perfect example of "doing it right"- science and personal experimentation.
    I was also shocked that even with all the fruit she only came in around 130g of carbs a day. Nothing extraordinary by any means.

I may give it a whirl with cooked seafood and the occasional cooked piece of "other meat" because I just can't get past the raw meat thing in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Doesn't it boil down to finding what works for your body. I mean everyone is different. Peggy at theprimalparent.com has an excellent article about this. She eats mainly meat I believe because a lot of fruits and veggies don't do well with her. She has a great story check her out. When Everybody Else’s Prescription Fails, Make Up Your Own | The Primal Parent
    Oh I definitely agree. I did super on Primal for the first month or so and then slowly declined back to feeling just "meh" most days. I'm still looking for the "awesome energy, clear skin, not starving, can eat this way all the time" plan. I really think I ate too much fat back in the day, but I can't tweak that now necessarily because I'm growing a little one. So my fat still needs to remain a bit higher. I need more fresh fruit and veggies, though, I think. And I'm curious if I do raw with the fruits and veggies if that will make any difference at all.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    And what about all this fat we're supposed to be eating? She eats hardly none based on her list....a little coconut and a few eggs. Isn't she eating High Carb Low Fat...aka...the enemy of Primal?
    The real enemy of Primal is high carb from things like pastries, french fries, candy, donuts, pizza and its polar-opposite: The supposed to be healthy, low-fat antidote. This low-fat antidote turns out to be little pastries without the butter but all the sugar (aka 100 calorie snack packs or breakfast cereal), vegetable oils (you know, because saturated fat is so bad for you) and avoiding real foods like cream or butter (and eating franken-substitutes like non-fat sour cream [huh?]) and avoiding red meat like the plague (because being hungry all the time with skinless, flavorless chicken breast is so much better for you--yeah right).

Eating fruit and seafood is totally paleo and will keep you in good health. I don't think we are supposed to go out of our way to stuff a lot of extra fat into our diets. I think that's sort of a misunderstanding. We are supposed to not avoid it and choose the best fats when we do eat it.

I personally don't eat a lot of fruit. By weight and calories, my diet is heaviest in seafood and meat and whatever fats those contain naturally. I add fats for cooking and flavor but I don't go overboard.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

BryanC is offline Member
    Chained to an Art Board in Washington State
    Only an observation, her diet looks like what you'd find in the caribbean...
    I'm just your average, legendary superhero, trapped in a lump of flesh.

Scottish Highland Games: a sport where the fat kid gets picked FIRST.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I actually wish that I could affordably eat more like Denise, but living in a landlocked desert state makes the tropical fruit and seafood a bit too expensive for my current budget. Also, I would cook my vegetables.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast