Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What's the deal with Raw Food SOS and Denise Minger and Primal? page 4

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaohinon View Post
    The only reason I eat massive amounts of muscle protein is because of its high thermic effect and satiety factor, it's the only way I can seem to keep my appetite at bay and lose weight. Someone as petite as Denise wouldn't need to eat nearly as much.

Plus, with all that soluble fiber and the ensuing storm of butyrate, she probably has a lot more fat in her system than you'd think.
    Yup. A high-fiber/resistant starch diet IS a high-fat diet.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    NZ has great clams, but I've never been a fan, so perhaps if i find a good recipe, I'd be more interested in it. Also, they are relatively inexpensive.
    I'm jealous of your cheap clams. I may have to splurge on some this weekend. Here's a recipe that I made and adapted, which was brilliant. Oven Roasted Tilapia With Tomatoes, Pesto And Lemon Recipe - Food.com - 290644 You can use other fish, I just so happened to have tilapia on hand. Get some clams and clean the shells really well. Toss them in the pan with the tomatoes after you've roasted them. Stick them back in the oven for about 8 minutes, stirring every so often so the mixture can get into the shells as they open. Remove from oven and follow the rest of the recipe, laying the fish on top of the clam shells. I had a brilliant dish, similar to this one except with tuna, in Spain a few years back. I should see if I can find a recipe for that, although it's close. Also love them sauteed in white wine and butter.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Thinking about her on the low-carb cruise kind of make me laugh. Her breakfast would probably make someone like rosedale or fred hahn go giddy and faint.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Dunno about the raw part specifically, but I do know my wife tried forum-approved-primal (meant and bacon dense) with me last year (high meat/high animal fat/low carb) and after the initial expected big loss for going lc/vlc she just plateaued after the end of the first month and even added a few pounds into the third month.

When she switched to a diet that is roughly (by volume, not calorie) 2/3 - 3/4 fruits and vegetables with the remainder made up of animal fats/proteins (meat, seafood, eggs, or dairy of some sort) and she started loosing weight at a regular 1-2 lbs per week and has been regularly losing at that rate for three months now.

90% whole foods, little if any processed with nearly all of her meals prepared at home from single ingredients (not box mixes or pre pack).

LC/VLC just doesn't work for her. And processed foods/vegetable oils slap the pounds on her. But a high carb natural diet (including potatoes and a fair amount of fruit) works just fine.

Me, I stopped fearing excess fruit after a bit of N=1, but overall the higher end of low carb works just fine for me. The lower end of LC to VLC works if I don't try to live there for more than a month at a time.

Across the board I know a lot of women who have done well initially on LC/VLC Primal who subsequently plateaued or even lost ground then found success again after upping their primal carbs.

*shrUg*

I have some annoying gender-based evolutionary ideas why this might be so, but I stopped bothering with them a year ago. What matters is what works. The rest is just fun speculation.

maurile is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    I had hoped we were past the carb-demonization, especially for people not trying to lose weight.
    Seriously. What in the world could somebody have against fruit? Is it really that people are still afraid of carbs? Hasn't the idea that a high-carb diet is necessarily bad been debunked enough already?

Some high-carb diets are bad (like the soda and cotton candy diet), and some high-fat diets are bad (like the margarine diet).

But some of the healthiest (and most primitive) cultures in the world get a huge majority of their calories from carbs, including large amounts of fruit and honey. There may be no food more primal than fruit.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I love fruit.

When I first went primal, I curbed it down to one piece or one serving of berries. But since then, I just eat fruit when I want it, which turns out to be anywhere from 1-4 "pieces"/servings per day. Good stuff.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I don't know how so many people got this idea that primal meant a high-meat diet. A lot of us aren't LCHF, and many people around here eat meat/fish once a day, sometimes less frequently.

I'm also guessing that by "biggest proportion" she is likely talking in terms of volume. She's also pretty clear that this is how she eats and what works for her, not a prescription for everyone.
    But what good other calorie sources are there really?
    Billie trips balls

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    But what good other calorie sources are there really?
    Seriously, Gadsie... always.
    We are mostly talking about the diet of one very specific person here a small female who is n longer growing.
    And some other folks, mostly female who also limit calories, have piped in to say that they eat similarly (or at least less meat that others) because it works for them as individuals.

These are not growing young men who need calories to build their bodies and to ADD bone, muscle, healthy tissue, and even some weight.
    Primal/Paleo is not one size fits all... it's a general set of ideas about eating good, clean, healthy, food so that you and an INDIVIDUAL can attain good health. For some that means lots of food and gaining some weight, for others it means losing some weight. For some it means eating a ton of red meat, for others the red meat doesn't work so well and they find alternative sources of protein.

Stop trying to make other peoples n=1 issues your own.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Seriously, Gadsie... always.
    We are mostly talking about the diet of one very specific person here a small female who is n longer growing.
    And some other folks, mostly female who also limit calories, have piped in to say that they eat similarly (or at least less meat that others) because it works for them as individuals.

These are not growing young men who need calories to build their bodies and to ADD bone, muscle, healthy tissue, and even some weight.
    Primal/Paleo is not one size fits all... it's a general set of ideas about eating good, clean, healthy, food so that you and an INDIVIDUAL can attain good health. For some that means lots of food and gaining some weight, for others it means losing some weight. For some it means eating a ton of red meat, for others the red meat doesn't work so well and they find alternative sources of protein.

Stop trying to make other peoples n=1 issues your own.
    I'm sorry I think you understood me wrong. I was curious because sometimes I'm hungry and i'd like something else than meat. Or I don't have time to cook, so it's nice to know about more filling/calorie dense foods
    Billie trips balls

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    I'm sorry I think you understood me wrong. I was curious because sometimes I'm hungry and i'd like something else than meat. Or I don't have time to cook, so it's nice to know about more filling/calorie dense foods
    In that case I'm sorry...
    Your wording was odd.
    In a thread about eating less meat and mostly lower calorie options you seemed to be asking for higher calories.

It's a matter of personal issues often as to what is filling.
    Some people find that cooked roots and tubers (potatoes, sweet potatoes, beets, etc.) can be very filling, other find that they stimulate appetite.
    Fruits can also be filling due to water content/volume, particularly the summer fruits like watermelon and other melons... but once again the natural sugars can stimulate some peoples appetite further.

Fat or Fatty foods eaten along with fruits and roots/tubers is a better bet for lasting satiety if that is an issue for you.
    Avocado, nuts, small portions of fatty meat to go with the fruit and veg.
    Canned coconut milk should make you full pretty fast...

You just aren't going to get a lot of calories without a huge volume of food with the fruits, veg, tubers/roots.
    If you are looking for calories you need to either hit higher volume or up the fat.

It's been a long time since I was able to eat much without digestive problems. And sometimes I struggle a bit with under eating. To fix that the canned coconut milk has helped, as well as adding some raw cream some days.
    But I do remember being young and eating a metric ton of food and having room for more.
    In my family the answer was you could have all the 'cheap' food you wanted... potatoes, veg, in season fruit, and milk and eggs when it was in high production... those foods were cheap because we raised them ourselves. And there was always enough to eat our fill until we were sick of them and still put plenty by for winter.
    Meat was rationed a bit tighter... but the portion everyone got was pretty generous... just not completely unlimited. More like about 8-10oz each per meal.
    Last edited by cori93437; 07-13-2012 at 02:12 AM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast