Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the deal with Raw Food SOS and Denise Minger and Primal? page 2

Figlio di Moros is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I wonder, to what proportion she eats fruits to vegetables? I wouldn't even think it possible to subsist on too many fruits.

As for being high-carb... maybe, from all the fruit, but perhaps she snacks frequently on small proportions? She might be eating less fruit than she or us think. And, of course, vegetables don't necessitate carbs. If she's taking in enough cruciferous vegetables, she should be getting plenty of iron and other nutrients. Who knows where she gets her fats from, but perhaps she's not fat-adapted?

Either way, what she does works for her, and is paleo, and she helps defend the community, so let's not go attacking her for not eating bacon and counting carbs.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    From what I understand, she eats really clean and adheres pretty much 100% to the diet she describes on her website.

Even if you don't think the higher carbohydrate way she eats is optimal, (see Kitavans), the fact that it's so clean probably makes up for a lot.

Also, she's super hot, especially with all her fancy science-talk.

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Figlio di Moros View Post
    I wonder, to what proportion she eats fruits to vegetables? I wouldn't even think it possible to subsist on too many fruits.

As for being high-carb... maybe, from all the fruit, but perhaps she snacks frequently on small proportions? She might be eating less fruit than she or us think. And, of course, vegetables don't necessitate carbs. If she's taking in enough cruciferous vegetables, she should be getting plenty of iron and other nutrients. Who knows where she gets her fats from, but perhaps she's not fat-adapted?

Either way, what she does works for her, and is paleo, and she helps defend the community, so let's not go attacking her for not eating bacon and counting carbs.

I agree that I'm also curious about how much fruit she eats. She doesn't snack I don't think...three squares....based on her raw food dental post. She says that your teeth don't have time to rebuild enamel if you are snacking all day, so she's not a grazer.

I wasn't attacking her by any means...just curious...and I think the bacon guy was being sarcastic cause of all the bacon love on this forum lol.

I just know that if I ate a lot of fruit like a whole cantaloupe for breakfast then banana with lunch, etc. etc. my blood sugar would go nutso. My guess is that she doesn't eat a lot of anything, though. Moderate portions. But I still wonder what she's eating those days she doesn't eat the eggs or seafood...it would have to be a lot of fruit and veggies, right?

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldensparrow View Post
    Well I guess what I have issue with is that she says that raw fruits compose the majority of her diet and the seafood is "a couple of times per week". I would completely agree that she had it nailed down if she didn't put the qualifications of that in the post.

Here it is:

"Basically, I eat a sort of raw food, plant-based, paleo-ish, Weston-A-Price style fusion. The stuff I eat the most of (from the biggest proportion of my diet to the smallest):

raw fruit
    raw vegetables
    seafood (oysters, mussels, clams, salmon, or tuna; the fish typically raw), a few times per week"

See where I'm getting confused? Also, what about her iron? Can you get enough iron from seafood a few times per week? I eat meat every single day, and I'm anemic! This is from an 80% primal pregnant lady lol....I shouldn't be anemic....how in the world is she not?

And what about all this fat we're supposed to be eating? She eats hardly none based on her list....a little coconut and a few eggs. Isn't she eating High Carb Low Fat...aka...the enemy of Primal?

I agree she is very pretty and healthy looking, but I'm wondering if it's just cause she is 25 and still young and might develop problems later on or if we have it wrong to a certain degree...like maybe less fat more raw foods but not in huge portions.
    The easiest answer to the iron question is right there... she eats seafood, bivalves in particular, "a few times per week". These oysters mussels and clams (emphasis on the clams) are second only to liver(depending on the type of liver (duck, pork, and chicken liver are highest) in providing heme-iron, and FAR outrank any muscle meats for providing iron in the diet.
    Top 10 Foods Highest in Iron

I personally had trouble with anemia for years before fixing it by adding at least one portion of liver (pork or chicken, duck when I can get it) and clams (red chowder is delicious IMO) to my diet each week.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i might need to find a clam chowder recipe.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    i might need to find a clam chowder recipe.
    And for the bonus... most people think a good bowl of red chowder tastes better than liver too. Which will make them more likely to eat it. AND... never an issue of too much vitamin A from eating it often.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    This just in: not even primitive people eat meat every day.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Seems like a reasonable balance. For me I would want more protein but it looks like she will be eating some animal product everyday.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    It's amazing how just a little bit of meat and bone broth can go a long way.

NZ has great clams, but I've never been a fan, so perhaps if i find a good recipe, I'd be more interested in it. Also, they are relatively inexpensive.

I need at least 2x chickens per week to do our chicken broth; i can buy fish-heads to make a fish stock; i haven't made any beef stock yet because people here seem to fight for those bones. LOL! it would be great to diversify into clams.

DS thinks chicken livers are chicken nuggets. heh.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I believe she has/had some pretty serious health issues, which was her reason for eating the way she does.

I had hoped we were past the carb-demonization, especially for people not trying to lose weight.

While it wouldn't work for me, I think her diet is a very very healthy one, healthier than many on the forum, including mine.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast