Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How are traditional Irish meals? page

Gadsie is offline Senior Member

How are traditional Irish meals?

Shop Now
    I just received a letter that I have to go to Ireland because of school. With 2 other guys we will be placed in an Irish family. As expected, I have 0% control over the meals. I was wondering, will I most likely only get wheat with soybean oil or are most Irish meals quite decent?
    Please tell me beans are not a staple because they cause insane heartburn

I will bring a jar of coconut oil, and canned fish liver and protein powder anyway.
    Billie trips balls

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Bread is a huuuuge staple of the Irish diet... as are potatoes.

Where in Ireland are you going? If you're in Dublin, Galway, Cork or even Limerick you'll find health food shops, in the smaller towns it may prove more difficult.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Aaaahahahahahahahaha. You are going to have a meltdown.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Bread is a huuuuge staple of the Irish diet... as are potatoes.

Where in Ireland are you going? If you're in Dublin, Galway, Cork or even Limerick you'll find health food shops, in the smaller towns it may prove more difficult.
    Dublin, I guess I'll try to get a lot of food from health stores but i can't cook over there..
    Billie trips balls

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Hmm, in Dublin you may be okay - tell your family that you're allergic to wheat, otherwise they will feed you sandwiches and pasta all day long. Meat is also a staple of the Irish diet, and on the upside, all our beef is pasture rared

homunculus is offline Member
    It's easy to find organic stuff around here (really nice organic greek yogurt and other dairy). They don't eat much beans... but a lot of crap. chips, pizza, gross processed meats and sausages, chinese take away (all the time)... generally really unhealthy. If you are going to be buying your own food it's easy to find grass fed meat etc as well.
    If you get a nice family they might just eat meat + potatoes a lot and fairly healthy, but most don't seem to cook...
    Last edited by homunculus; 07-12-2012 at 06:42 AM.
    “There is immeasurably more left inside than what comes out in words…”
    — Fyodor Dostoevsky

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    Irish meat is really good - beef, lamb - yum! Even living in Belgium I buy mostly Irish beef. So I hope you won't be placed with vegetarians But I would go the cheeky way and say to the hosts that I am allergic to wheat and ... (choose another "evil" or two). Potatoes seem to be served everywhere and with everything though.

Quote Originally Posted by homunculus View Post
    It's easy to find organic stuff around here (really nice organic greek yogurt and other dairy). They don't eat much beans... but a lot of crap. chips, pizza, gross processed meats and sausages, chinese take away (all the time)... generally really unhealthy. If you are going to be buying your own food it's easy to find grass fed meat etc as well.
    If you get a nice family they might just eat meat + potatoes a lot and fairly healthy, but most don't seem to cook...
    I'll help them a lot with the household so they start liking me and then ask them if I can cook my own meals and hope they approve
    I googled some health stores in dublin an checked out their products but non of the stores I found sold any meat at all..
    Billie trips balls

homunculus is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    I'll help them a lot with the household so they start liking me and then ask them if I can cook my own meals and hope they approve
    I googled some health stores in dublin an checked out their products but non of the stores I found sold any meat at all..
    You get the meat in normal stores, Tesco etc sell organic. It's easy to find around here
    “There is immeasurably more left inside than what comes out in words…”
    — Fyodor Dostoevsky

ringleader is offline Junior Member
    Hi Gadsie,

If you're in Dublin, you'll probably get cereal for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, and meat + potatoes + veg like peas for dinner (if you're lucky!).

Is there any possibility of contacting the family you will be staying with beforehand? Is it up to them to cook your meals?
    I can't see anyone having a problem with you cooking your own food.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast