Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 59

Thread: How are traditional Irish meals? page 3

  1. #21
    Gadsie's Avatar
    Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    1,932
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by CE402 View Post
    The resentment you feel towards your parents and school for making you do this has what exactly to do with the family graciously taking you into their home?



    A week? A WEEK!

    Reality check time- you will not waste away to nothing in a week. It is a known fact that while it is difficult to gain strength/muscle, your body also hangs onto it as well. A week of bad eating will do just about zero to your long-term goals. Now if you worry, stress and do your best to make a big deal out of nothing, the psycological stress will do more damage than a week of beef and potatoes. Just relax and try to enjoy the week. If you are really concerned about not getting enough protein (doubt that will be an issue; 1-1.5g/lb is for muscle GAINS. Maintinance is far less.) just have some protein powder once or twice a day.

    Or not, make a big deal over the smallest thing, insult your hosts and be miserable for a week.
    Well the family knows i'm not there voluntarily. So they must have signed up to take children into their homes. If they didn't do this I would not have been able to even go there. It's like saying to a vegetarian "I don't kill animals because I only buy meat in the store, the butcher is guilty for slaughtering"

    You say a week won't make a difference, ok, but what about 2 weeks? I ask this because I will be going to italy this summer for 1 week, come back for a week, and leave again for a week in greece. I will be having better control of my food but not 100%. How much strength can be lost in these 2 weeks assuming i won't be working out and having little protein?
    Billie trips balls

  2. #22
    Gadsie's Avatar
    Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    1,932
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    I agree with CE402. It's not even for that long, and you are a growing boy who needs food in general. I would not worry too much about everything that is cooked for you; be grateful that your host family is kind enough to house you and include you in its typical Irish daily life. Of course, you could probably avoid wheat if at all possible, but if you're in a bind, don't sweat it. Enjoy the food!

    Although on a side note, if you are forced to eat some sort of cereal or porridge for breakfast, I'd just IF because that shit tastes nasty anyway. Or just drink the milk.
    Yup I will definitely IF if I have access to my own food. But if I'm starving I will have to eat the cereal (and probably suffer heartburn the entire week).

    That's why I'm bringing canned fish and coconut oil and other calorie dense foods if i can find more
    Billie trips balls

  3. #23
    Hedonist2's Avatar
    Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    997
    IF as much as you can. See about eggs for breakfast. And enjoy those potatoes!
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

  4. #24
    Artichoke's Avatar
    Artichoke is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    198
    You need to check what you can bring into Ireland food-wise because there are food laws. If something you bring in is banned because it has additives which aren't allowed in the EU for example, it could be confiscated. Also, I don't rate your chances of getting a white powder through customs I have a cousin living in Ireland and they eat a lot of bread and potatoes over there.

  5. #25
    Gadsie's Avatar
    Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    1,932
    Quote Originally Posted by Artichoke View Post
    You need to check what you can bring into Ireland food-wise because there are food laws. If something you bring in is banned because it has additives which aren't allowed in the EU for example, it could be confiscated. Also, I don't rate your chances of getting a white powder through customs I have a cousin living in Ireland and they eat a lot of bread and potatoes over there.
    Coconut oil must be allowed. And I'm not bringing protein powder anymore. I'll bring canned codliver. It's got orotein and 500cal per 100g
    Billie trips balls

  6. #26
    HazelPrimalNut's Avatar
    HazelPrimalNut is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    23
    I live in Dublin. As any Irish person will say "you'll be grand." All meat in Ireland is grass fed so don't worry about that. I would shop in Superquinn for the best meat though. If you tell the family you are staying with that you are allergic to grains you'll be safe from cereal, porridge, pasta and bread. You probably won't be able to avoid potatoes though, no excuse for not eating them. Depending on the family you will be served lots of jarred sauces but you could be lucky and get a family that loves cooking. Do you know where abouts in Dublin you are staying?

  7. #27
    Lewis's Avatar
    Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,316
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    I just received a letter that I have to go to Ireland because of school. With 2 other guys we will be placed in an Irish family. As expected, I have 0% control over the meals. I was wondering, will I most likely only get wheat with soybean oil or are most Irish meals quite decent?
    Interestingly, it seems that Irish dietary habits as late as the 18th century were quite traditional and even shocking to people from more industrialized parts. Sources mention a fondness for blood and blood-puddings, and all sorts of offal, and people eating large balls of butter rolled in oatmeal (to stop 'em sticking to your hands, I guess).

    Nowadays, I expect it's like everywhere else in the Western world. Famous for strong porter-beer, though ... although that's hardly primal.

    A pint of plain is your only man
    Flann O'Brien Poetry Irish culture and customs - World Cultures European

    I should treat it as a holiday, not worry too much about what you're eating, and just have fun.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    31
    I second the above, a week or two is not going to hurt you to eat what your family provides. You can do your best to make better choices, limit wheat, try and eat more protein and veggies, but it's not going to hurt you if you eat what the locals eat. Don't be a pain and give Americans a bad image by being difficult with your host family. Perhaps use it as a learning opportunity to explain how you're trying to eat better that the typical American diet but are grateful for whatever they are able to provide and able to sample how another culture eats and share how you eat with them too.

    When you're young, your body can handle all kinds of foods just fine. It's when you eat poorly for years and years ALL the time that it eventually catches up with you. You already know how to eat when you're in control of buying/making your own food. Don't sweat it when you can't all the time.

  9. #29
    zoebird's Avatar
    zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    7,935
    I have to agree with fuzzy logic.

    When I'm overseas, I eat what I can find, what is served, and I don't worry a bit about my diet. It's a privilege to be able to travel, so stop obsessing and go enjoy yourself.

  10. #30
    Gadsie's Avatar
    Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    1,932
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    Thanks guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by lambchop View Post
    + a million

    and where is the thanks to Go Hard for extensive information?

    Typical.
    Blind much?
    Billie trips balls

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •