Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet another squat question page

Caveman_chris is offline Junior Member

Yet another squat question

Shop Now
    Hello everybody, I've been doing stronglifts for a while now and seeing some great gains/losses. However as I'm getting stronger the weights are getting heavier. Now that my (zercher) squat is around 90kg/198lbs it's really putting a lot of pressure on my core/lower back, so much so that the day after its very stiff and bending down etc is difficult and I feel like it might 'go' at anytime. (happened a few months back)

But...... While doing deadlifts the is no pain/discomfort at all. Obviously I don't want swap deads for squats completely and cause a muscle imbalance (?). So I was thinking that maybe hack squats (with a barbell, stood on a raised platform to get parallel) may be substituted in.

Also, would it be the worst thing in the world to do;
    5xhack
    5xdead
    5xhack
    5xdead
    5xhqck
    5xdead
    Every workout Instead of 5x5 squat with 1x5 dead every other workout?

I know b@$tardising stronglifts is frowned upon but it's just not practical for my situation.

Thanks for your help, Chris.

CE402 is online now Senior Member
    If your back feels like its about to "let go" during a squat, your form is jacked to hell. Stop now before you blow it out and do serious damage.

Why are you doing zercher squats, anyway? Last I checked, strong lifts is a ripoff of Starting Strength, and calls for squats, that would be, in absence of any qualifier, low or high bar BACK squats.

If you are squatting with proper form, your back should feel perfectly stable, the only time I ever hurt my back squatting was when someone yelled at me to lookout and I relaxed my core about halfway up. Wound up having to ditch the bar, and had some choice words for the asshat that let their Swiss ball get loose. That one cost me a solid month off...

snoops is online now Senior Member
    Agree with the pain and proper form comment. My trainer would not let me lift higher weights until I could do the lower weight with proper back form. So drop down a bit till it feels better and start working up again. Do more reps at a lower weight till you can add on with good form.

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    Totally agree, get that bar on your back, and get parallel. Also if your back and core hurt they are weak, you need assistance work, Squat you 5x5 numbers, and then pick two or three of these, good mornings, leg press, lunges, reverse hypers, stiff leg deadlift, Bulgarians, rows,followed by abs, lower back and planks, dead lift on a other day and repeat the assistance work.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    You can't just blindly substitute Zercher squats for back squats and assume nothing will change.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Deload and get your form sorted.

Don't forget there are lots of good 5x5 programs out there.
    Last edited by Dirlot; 07-12-2012 at 10:18 AM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Caveman_chris is offline Junior Member
    You miss understood, my back/core feels fine when performing the exercise, it's the next day that it becomes very stiff.

The reason I'm zerchering instead of back squats is that I have no affordable (to me) gyms anywhere near me, and all I have at home is a bench pressing all-in-one bench thing, which has bar at around elbow height. I would love to have a squat/power rack at home but I really don't have the space or money.

Ill the surgestion of deloading on board (might give the bruises on my arms and my ego time to heal)

What do you guys think about dropping some squat sets for extra deadlifts. I know it's not SS/SL to the letter but I want to enjoy my 'workouts' as much as possible.

Thanks for responses guys, always appreciated.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman_chris View Post
    You miss understood, my back/core feels fine when performing the exercise, it's the next day that it becomes very stiff.

The reason I'm zerchering instead of back squats is that I have no affordable (to me) gyms anywhere near me, and all I have at home is a bench pressing all-in-one bench thing, which has bar at around elbow height. I would love to have a squat/power rack at home but I really don't have the space or money.

Ill the surgestion of deloading on board (might give the bruises on my arms and my ego time to heal)

What do you guys think about dropping some squat sets for extra deadlifts. I know it's not SS/SL to the letter but I want to enjoy my 'workouts' as much as possible.

Thanks for responses guys, always appreciated.
    FWIW, my back is always tight after heavy squats. Epsom baths help.

Still, be careful with Zerchers, especially in combination with conventional deadlifts.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Deadlifts are awesome.
    You could also try some one legged body weight squats. ...harder than you think and less stress on the back.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Deadlifts are awesome.
    You could also try some one legged body weight squats. ...harder than you think and less stress on the back.
    I find these much easier with about 10 lbs held out in front of me, but otherwise I agree.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast