Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shifting From Saturated To Polyunsaturated Fat Linked To Lower Heart Disease Ris page

theotherkim is offline Junior Member

I seem to be constantly under fire by a throng of vegetarian/vegan acquaintances who think my lifestyle is wrong wrong wrong. I can usually defend myself fairly intelligently, but I admit I'm not exactly sure what to make of their most recent round of ammo:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/183129.php

Any takers? Thoughts? Opinions?

DarthFriendly is offline Banned

Why even argue with them?

I mean, unless you like it.

But if not, just explain that you're not interested in having that kind of interaction with them, and that if they keep harassing you, you'll ditch 'em?

(I didn't look at that bit of "ammo" sorry)

I've got a friend who keeps telling me my heart is going to explode from my red meat consumption. This while he's high on vicodan, drunk, and eating sweets, and drinking sweetened coffee from starbucks. I just shrug, and don't bother talking to him about it.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

What a crack of poo.

This study seems like one big summary of all the previous bad-science studies that CW is based on.

Polynosaturated fats are loaded with Omega 6 which causes inflamation and premature aging. Did they ever think about looking in to Monosaturated fats properties? I just plain don't get why they keep going back to Poly.

Stabby is offline Senior Member

I'm not going to bother with reading this one because there is so much evidence out there that saturated fat consumption is not an antagonist in heart disease.

Like this http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_94941.html

Or actual empirical evidence that saturated fat improves a blood lipid profile. Or how about all of the examples of populations with higher saturated fat consumption having low instance of heart disease like France.

So I want to know why we are focusing on how much more/less saturated fat contributes to heart disease than polyunsaturated fats when saturated fat does not contribute to heart disease. I wonder what the cancer and CRP stats were on the polyunsaturated group. Gary Taubes in an interview said something about dozens of saturated fat vs polyunsaturated studies and in many there was no difference, many saturated fat was protective and many polyunsaturated was protective but caused more cancer. How about instead of picking and choosing random population statistic studies we evaluate the empirical evidence behind the effects of fats on known risk factors.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

I suppose I do kind of like it (mainly because I usually win, lol )

I'm not delusional enough to think I will ever change the militant vegans' minds, but since they're part of a larger circle of friends who are more impressionable (and who also were copied on the study), I guess I feel a certain "duty" to at least challenge a wild claim like "vegetable oils will make you healthier."

Stabby is offline Senior Member

Oh and also I want to know WHICH polyunsaturated fats? Omega 3 fatty acids would most certainly reduce heart disease, even when coupled with more omega 6 compared to an omega 3 deficient saturated fat group. The fact that there is no mention of type of polyunsaturated fats is evidence of poor science. Durr durr

The best fat intake to prevent CHD is of course lots of saturated and monounsaturated and a little bit of omega 3 and 6 in a 1:1 ratio.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

primal pete is offline Senior Member

linked....

suggests...

indicates...

I really hate these words being used in scientific studies. The golden rule of research is that correlation (two things seemingly related) does NOT prove causation.

people being indoors is strongly linked to rain, but claiming from this that being indoors causes rain is ludicrous.

people being outdoors suggests that it is sunny outside, but claiming that being outdoors causes sun is ludicrous.

people who are obese in this country tend to be closer to the poverty line, but claiming that getting richer will help you lose weight is... you guessed it... ludicrous.

My biggest piece of ammunition is understanding what makes good research good, and bad research bad. I've had friends throw things like the China Study at me, and I've politely dismantled it with this understanding. That pretty much ended that discussion forever, and actually got one of my friends to visit the site too!

Edit: I think an MDA article explaining the basics of statistical research would be hugely beneficial to the primal community at large. Has something like this been done in the past? I'll link something here if not.

You guys are great - thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

frogfarm is offline Member
    trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile

http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2010/3/18/sat-fat-or-pufa-which-one-do-you-fear.html

"I cannot emphasize it enough. Avoidance of excess linoleic acid is far more important than being 'low carb'.

"It may, in fact, be the lead horseman in the post-industrial diet right now."

Nekurahn is offline Junior Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast