Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is fruit really that bad for weight loss? page

Theresa92 is offline Senior Member

Is fruit really that bad for weight loss?

I've been semi Primal for a couple months, but have not been serious about it until lately. I have about 10 last pounds I would like to lose(I lost the first 20 on a low fat SAD diet, but then it failed me and my weight loss stalled.) I am a 19 year old female who is 5'1 and I weigh anywhere between 135-140 pounds.

The past week and a half I have been eating around 77% of my calories from fat, about 15% from protein, and about 8% from carbs. I eat about 1500 cal a day. I do not eat starchy vegetables. The thing is though is that I LOVE fruit. Usually I'll eat one orange per day. That's it. I read on another forum that fruit pretty much stalls your weight loss. However, I've also read some say that they are able to eat fruit everyday and still lose weight. I realize that since I do not have that much weight left to lose, I might need to be more strict and possibly cut out fruit entirely...... What are everybody's thoughts on this? Will having one piece of fruit a day prevent me from losing the last 10 pounds?

About my activity level: I work at a summer camp, so I definitely get a lot of slow moving every day(lots of walking, occasional jumping jacks, etc). I also take martial arts around 2-3 times a week for an hour. Depending on the day, the classes can be very physically challenging or easy.

Also.... This is a side question, but is 77% of calories from fat(out of 1500 cal a day) too much for weight loss? I track what I eat because Im the type of person who easily goes overboard with food.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't be a nazi about fruit.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    lift heavy weights, add muscle, you won't get "BIG" or "JACKED" like a guy. No that one orange isn't doing much if your are following the PB the rest of the way, BUT how about you don't eat it for two weeks and see what happens.

I wouldn't be a nazi about fruit.
    I understand where you are coming from. I just don't want to keep eating something that is going to stall my weight loss further. I went extremely low fat for about 4 months prior to being Primal because my nutritionist said it would help me lose 10 pounds. I didn't lose them(actually gained 5 pounds).

I want to make sure I am doing it right this time

Lift heavy weights
    Could I just do body weight exercises instead? I have no access to weights. Would you recommend adding in a daily routine of pushups, situps, etc?

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    To be honest, I would almost think you're under eating. 1500 calories is very low for someone who is on their feet for most of the day.

Timthetaco Guest
    Personally, I think obsessing over ketosis will do more harm to your weight loss efforts than eating fruit.

I don't mean to offend with "obsessing". First word that came to mind.
    Last edited by Timthetaco; 07-11-2012 at 06:39 PM.

To be honest, I would almost think that you are under eating.
    I am hungry a lot during the day, so I've thought about that myself. But then again... I'm a very short female and I dont weigh as much as an average male, so sometimes I feel that there's no way I should be eating closer to 2000 cal. Do you suggest upping the food a little, also, more fat or protein or carbs?

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Theresa92 View Post
    Do you suggest upping the food a little, also, more fat or protein or carbs?
    Given the macro ratios you give in the OP, protein and carbs are what I would increase.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you're consistently hungry, then it sounds like you're not eating enough of the food you need. Based on what you posted above, my gut call is you're not getting enough protein and maybe a bit too much fat. Also, some folks suggest that women do better with more carbs than men.

If you love fruit, then I'd recommend keeping it. But I'd try adding more protein.

Could you post a sample of a day's food intake? Maybe that would help...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast