Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is fruit really that bad for weight loss? page 2

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Fruit is a great weight loss food. Low in calories and fairly filling with the fiber. The only reason you should be purposely avoiding it if personally increases your appetite significantly. If you were a fruit eater before it most likely won't have that effect on you. But if you've been low carb for a while it could have this effect at first when you start adding it back in.

Theresa92 is offline Senior Member
    Thank you so much for the help everyone. Here is an example of a typical days worth of food. This is what I happened to eat today.

Breakfast: 2 pieces bacon and 3 eggs scrambled in remaining bacon fat
    Lunch: 3 oz 73/27 ground beef and 1 avocado
    Dinner: 3 oz 73/27 ground beef(including the fat that came out), 1 hard boiled egg, 2 pieces of bacon, and a salad with lettuce and cucumbers with bacon grease drizzled over it.

Usually at night before bed I will have an orange as well.

HealthyGirl is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Theresa92 View Post
    Thank you so much for the help everyone. Here is an example of a typical days worth of food. This is what I happened to eat today.

Dinner: 3 oz 73/27 ground beef(including the fat that came out), 1 hard boiled egg, 2 pieces of bacon, and a salad with lettuce and cucumbers with bacon grease drizzled over it.

I'm no expert, but I have had my fair share of successful weight gain/loss
    I would cut out the nighttime orange.

I would also maybe substitute some berries on some days instead of the orange.
    ME personally, I need more calories than that. I am 5'3, down to 137 lbs, (from 152) but I eat 1,800 to 2,000 Calories a day. I do martial arts/kickboxing though, so I am ALWAYS hungry, and when I don't eat enough,, I feel like I am gaining weight....More food, I feel thinner..go figure!!

RobinNM is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Theresa92 View Post

I'd do what HealthyGirl suggests and eat the orange earlier in the day. They are good for you, but there is sugar and an insulin spike involved and you don't want to do that right before you go to bed. I'd also increase the portion size on the hamburger for lunch if possible. I use 90/10 meat (I just like it better) and my portions are closer to 7 to 8 ounces or so. I'll do something like an 8 ounce hamburger that I cook in a little bit of butter in the pan and then about half a bag of whatever frozen veggies appeal. I thaw those out in the microwave and then toss them with some more butter in the other part of the pan with the burger while it's cooking.

If you're still hungry, you either need to eat more, or accept that you are going to do a mini-fast for a period of time. If this were me, I'd cut back dinner a bit (maybe use the same amount of ground beef and the salad) and transfer the egg and bacon to lunch. Mmm. Bacon burger with avocado. Mmmmm.

MarCar is offline Junior Member
    There are a lot of nutritional benefits in fruit. I would not shy away from them, but I would eat them “smart”. Stick with the fruits that have a low glycemic index (under 60)/ low glycemic load (under 10). Here is a good link to start out with. Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load Chart | Health Newsletter

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Unless you're eating a ton of other carbohydrates most likely your glycogen supply isn't maxed out anyway. My advice would be to cut back on your fat intake if you're looking to lose weight faster and don't forgo the fruit.

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    Join a gym, learn how to squat, boy, girl, zebra everyone should squat....but if you don't have time or cash, yes, do pushups and pull ups and run sprints up a hill 3x a week, also up your fat and protein, I eat around 2,000 calories a day and I lift, swim, walk, run, play with issues
    Last edited by wolfman; 07-12-2012 at 07:48 AM.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    One orange isn't going to hurt you. Do more strength training and sprints. If you are hungry, eat a little more meat.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I'm a 5'4 woman, and the only times I've been able to lose weight have been when eating fruit. Specifically, eating low-fat paleo. I ate tons of fruit, veggies, and super lean meat (turkey/chicken breast, white fish), little to no added oils in cooking (steamed or grilled everything on my GForman grill). Even though eating this way I easily dropped down to 106lbs, I don't think I looked good overall, because I lose fat from my boobs and collarbone area first, then a little from my belly and thighs, which has the effect of making me look more disproportionate (top half looks emaciated, bottom half still chubby).

As soon as I increased my fat, I started getting fatter, even when keeping carbs low or cutting out fruit, but at least I looked more balanced. As soon as I cut down on fat, I can eat as many fruits as I want and I will lose fat. However, I can never get rid of those last few pounds on my lower half, and I think I'm overall healthier eating more fat, so I've made health my priority, not being super lean.

I don't think that 1500 is necessarily too low for a 5'1 woman...unfortunately, us shorter ladies have a significantly reduced calorie need (most calculators put my average need at 1600).

I wish i had better advice, but for me, the only thing that works to lose fat is to reduce my consumption of dietary fat.
    Last edited by BestBetter; 07-12-2012 at 08:22 AM.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    man, it's sad that someone scared you about fruit. it's fucking great. eat it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast