Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meat and Veg +Spice "Diet" page

Rasputina is offline Senior Member

Meat and Veg +Spice "Diet"

I feel my absolute best on an eating plan that is nothing more than meat and veg with added sugar-free spice. The veggies could be cooked, or raw, say in a salad, with no dressing. No more fat-laden, sugared sauces! If meat or veg is very dry and lean, I may add a dab of coconut or olive oil. Peppers and raw tomatoes have not been digested, so no more of these! I started off strict like this, in 2010, but the subsequent re-additions of gluten-free alcohol has taken it's toll, I know. So, I'm going back "Whole 30" for the duration of the summer to heal. Anyone else?

Timthetaco is online now Senior Member
    Me. It's actually kind of a pet peeve of mine that once people adopt the paleo diet they seem to transform into gourmet chefs. I'd feel like an ass at a paleo meetup, wondering where all the plain meat and potatoes are.

Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    Me. It's actually kind of a pet peeve of mine that once people adopt the paleo diet they seem to transform into gourmet chefs. I'd feel like an ass at a paleo meetup, wondering where all the plain meat and potatoes are.
    I am a great chef, but I feel you, except I'm trying to give up my unholy baked sweet potato with coconut oil, garlic salt, and crumbled bacon, which I enjoy about 2-3 times a week

Timthetaco is online now Senior Member
    wtf? Sweet potatoes are candy all on their own!

Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    wtf? Sweet potatoes are candy all on their own!
    Yes, an unholy candy of the devil! Glad to see that someone else has sense on this forum!

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputina View Post
    Yes, an unholy candy of the devil! Glad to see that someone else has sense on this forum!
    Yeah, that's what started my decent into starch hell recently. I can handle a bit here and there but they're like crack. I love them baked with just butter and cinnamon. The day it all went to hell I'd eaten a couple of bowls of beef stew I'd made with leeks and parsnips then finished it off with half a sweet potato. Bad, bad, bad.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    While reading your post, I was thinking how that sounded a lot like Whole 30.

I just finished It Starts With Food on Saturday and I started it this past Monday.

REALLY sucking, though, because I had been very bad before that so I'm doing the whole carb flu thing again during monsoon season, which is when I get the vast majority of migraines, and I just realized my current form of magnesium doesn't do squat to prevent them. Off to Walgreen's tomorrow for the cheap ass crap that actually works.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Paleobird Guest
    I was a gourmet chef pre-primal so that hasn't been a transformation. And everything I cook will always be highly palatable. That's just how I role.

But I do feel a "back to basics" tide turning. I think there have been a lot of distractions like ice baths, safe starches, safe dairy, supplements galore, meal timing and exact macronutrient ratios, etc. around the paleo/primal blogosphere lately. All of this is distracting from the just good whole and wholesome real food that we should be focusing on.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 07-11-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbone View Post
    Yeah, that's what started my decent into starch hell recently. I can handle a bit here and there but they're like crack. I love them baked with just butter and cinnamon. The day it all went to hell I'd eaten a couple of bowls of beef stew I'd made with leeks and parsnips then finished it off with half a sweet potato. Bad, bad, bad.
    It is exactly like crack. Some pusher, hell, a gang of of pushers, me included, convinces you that a little tasty bit is okay. You try it. You're fu**ing hooked. You start looking for "sneaky" ways to add this hit in, cause just a bit is okay, right? Next thing you know, you're dreaming up ways to add the sweet potato and fat combo. You'll sacrifice spinach for it. You might rob your pastor (maybe a bit far there), and you'll make excuses as to how healthy it is. Don't think I don't see you adding maple syrup to your sweet potato... shit is dangerous.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I was a gourmet chef pre-primal so that hasn't been a transformation. And everything I cook will always be highly palatable. That's just how I role.

But I do feel a "back to basics" tide turning. I think there have been a lot of distractions like ice baths, safe starches, safe dairy, supplements galore, meal timing and exact macronutrient ratios, etc. around the paleo/primal blogosphere lately. All of this is distracting from the just good whole and wholesome real food that we should be focusing on.
    I totally agree about the distractions. It hinders new people from getting a decent starting point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast