Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Meat and Veg +Spice "Diet" page 2

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    While reading your post, I was thinking how that sounded a lot like Whole 30.

I just finished It Starts With Food on Saturday and I started it this past Monday.

REALLY sucking, though, because I had been very bad before that so I'm doing the whole carb flu thing again during monsoon season, which is when I get the vast majority of migraines, and I just realized my current form of magnesium doesn't do squat to prevent them. Off to Walgreen's tomorrow for the cheap ass crap that actually works.
    I firmly believe that a Whole 30 is a definite starting point. I should have stayed there, but we need to experiment to see what we can tolerate, so we don't miss out on nutrients from whole foods. In 2010, the Whole 30 changed my life! I should not have deviated from that path, but I was an alcoholic and a cheese-o-holic (who is casein intolerant, apparently), and thought I could moderate. I have repeated the Whole 30, many times, felt amazing, and thought I was ready to introduce non- Whole 30 foods back. It has not been successful. I am still working on alcohol, but since I rarely drink liquor, and I love some gluten-free beer, it's really been hard. Nothing is harder than dying, though.

Dinner tonight is pan-seared lambchops with garlic, and leftover Lebanese salad, pickled veg, olives and baba ghanoush, from lunch at a Lebanese place today.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I went off course with the 2nd concussion. After that, no matter how I ate, my belly just got bigger and bigger. And since there really wasn't much incentive to eat right (no arthritis, eczema or anything), I went full bore on the crap.

Since my brain seems to be working better again, I'm starting again with Whole 30/Whole 9 or whatever the hell it is in It Starts With Food. I need to be that strict for awhile and then I can start testing what I can add back in. Or not.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    I went off course with the 2nd concussion. After that, no matter how I ate, my belly just got bigger and bigger. And since there really wasn't much incentive to eat right (no arthritis, eczema or anything), I went full bore on the crap.

Since my brain seems to be working better again, I'm starting again with Whole 30/Whole 9 or whatever the hell it is in It Starts With Food. I need to be that strict for awhile and then I can start testing what I can add back in. Or not.
    Good luck on your endeavors! I hope your concussion didn't cause too much damage! I've actually had a bit of flack from the primal folks about trying to eat simpler meat and veg. Paleo folks are much more supportive, though. I think that some people will try to goad you into eating extra things that you don't need, because they need to justify, to themselves, why eating X,Y,Z is okay! Whatever anyone chooses to eat is their business

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    I enjoy the KISS method of cooking. Last night steak with salt and pepper. Sauted assorted veg and a side of my home made bacon... win

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputina View Post
    I've actually had a bit of flack from the primal folks about trying to eat simpler meat and veg. Paleo folks are much more supportive, though. I think that some people will try to goad you into eating extra things that you don't need, because they need to justify, to themselves, why eating X,Y,Z is okay! Whatever anyone chooses to eat is their business
    Really? That's weird. Most of the time I eat pretty simply as well. Meat, eggs and veg, some dairy (that I can handle). I often have a smoothie for lunch mainly because I don't have to think about it (mostly strawberry). I do occasionally venture off into less simple stuff, like the pesto, fish, clam, tomato thing I posted in another thread, but mostly I'm way too busy with other things. Hobbies, as we've talked about before (learning new power-tools, YAHOO!) and my boyfriend and I are going to start taking Spanish classes soon. Like Paleobird mentioned, all the distractions also get in the way, not just of basic whole foods but also life in general. I sometimes get the feeling that some people sacrifice the play/personal fulfillment/enrichment aspect for some unattainable perfection.

CaveWeirdo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    Me. It's actually kind of a pet peeve of mine that once people adopt the paleo diet they seem to transform into gourmet chefs. I'd feel like an ass at a paleo meetup, wondering where all the plain meat and potatoes are.
    I agree, I think it's great that there are creative people inventing paleo recipes, but it also puts off some of the newbies who are culinarily-challenged! I mostly eat simple quick meals like meat and cooked veg, or a big salad with some smoked fish or boiled eggs... stuff that really doesn't take any more time or effort than popping the cellophane on a microwave meal. I don't think there's anything wrong with nut butters and nut flours etc. if you enjoy baking stuff, but it's too elaborate for me!
    Last edited by CaveWeirdo; 07-13-2012 at 08:10 AM.
    Start weight: 238 lbs (March 2012)
    Current weight: 205 lbs (July 2012)
    Loss so far: 33 lbs!!!
    WOE: Primal + IF
    Movements: Hiking, sprinting.
    Goal: to see my abs some time in 2013!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12