Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recovering chef wondering if it's too late. page

Shawn the Meat Man is offline Junior Member

Recovering chef wondering if it's too late.

Primal Fuel
    Hello gang,

I've been reading the MDA for ao couple of months after being directed here by a fellow stuggling chubby guy I know. I started this year out with an official diagnosis of the dreaded type 2, and am now on daily Metformin doses, along with my Lipitor, which I've been on since my dad's first heart attack 9 years ago. His sixth one finally did him in recently, at the age of 57. Dad's side is dropping like flies from heart-related illmesses.

That being said, I don't like taking these meds. I consider them little handfuls of swallowed failure. In addition, I also take a daily multi, and calcium and D supplements, along with some lifelong mild steroids that should have nothing to do with any of the above.

I told myself that by eating better and trying to find SOME time for exercise, I would only go through one bottle of Metformin (3months). I did well for the most part. I was not "primal" by any means. I went back to South Beach for a while, but cannot control myself woth "some " carbs. I tried Atkins for the first time, and that helped a good bit. I lost nearly 30# in the first 5 months of this year. It is also terribly restrictive, not to mention their tendency to sell you their chemical stick bars and snacks, so it has also failed me.

I've been as primal as I can be in my house lately. I avoid almost all processed carbs and grains, with the occasional splurge when dining out. Even then, I skip the breads and fries and chips, but I like a little cheese and an occassional crust on my meats, you know?

As for "recovering chef," I quit my decent paying chef job right after my diagnosis in January. It was literally killing me to serve up cheap and indulgent foods to the cheap, unhealthy gluttons that was my audience. They loved it all, to be sure, but I couldn't control myself in the back, and I was falling apart medically.

My goal is to get off the first two meds. My question is "if my body is already a year past insulin resistant, can I fix it?" I hear there's no cure for diabetes, but surely it's not late to get back on track?

Hell, I'm only 32.

If you've read this far and can sympathise, please take a minute to drop me a reply. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shawn

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Shawn, you are 32. Good time to start making some changes. With your background and skill, you have the opportunity to turn your own fortune around, and help get others fit and healthy.

What I find somewhat disconcerting is the number of "keeners" who jump on the wagon, and by day two are 'cheating' with ice cream and chocolate and pasta" and blah blah blah. I start to read those postings, and then my eyes glaze over, and click the back button.

Put pen to paper and make some solid goals for yourself. You found the Primal lifestyle, so now embrace it, and start your way on a new path. No excuses --- no lamenting. If I read one single word in your postings of 'cheating' or "I'm too weak to avoid chocolate or beer --- I will promptly hit my back button, and ensure you don't come up on my computer again.

I'm here to surround myself with positive 'do'ers' and those who are willing to do what it takes to make the changes that are so worth it -- for good health, and happiness and peace.

No excuses on your part and you have my total support.

/louisa
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Kakes is offline Senior Member
    "Too late" doesn't exist around here man. We have 60 year olds dropping pounds and 80 somethings dropping their meds. You are in revamp prime time at 32! Dive in and live it. Once you really start to feel the effects, you'll want to keep it up! I found it really helps to start with a super clean period of time, like the 21 day transformation challenge- to break cravings and change habits solidly.
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.

lorichka6 is online now Senior Member
    Totally not too late! I remember reading one study in grad school... one of the earlier studies on treating type 2 diabetes. I'm fuzzy on the details, but the main idea was men with type 2 diabetes were taken from sedentary to "trained" (actually training to run/walk a marathon rings a bell) and their oral glucose tolerance tests (with insulin measurements, not just glucose) indicated a nearly complete reversal of their diabetes. This *might* be the abstract for that actual study:

Effects of exercise on glucose tolerance and insulin resistance. Brief review and some preliminary results.
    Holloszy JO, Schultz J, Kusnierkiewicz J, Hagberg JM, Ehsani AA.
    Abstract

With aging, glucose tolerance (GT) declines, plasma insulin concentration increases, and sensitivity to the action of insulin declines. Evidence is accumulating that this decline in glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity can be prevented by regularly performed vigorous exercise. Preliminary results are presented in this paper showing that prolonged, strenuous and frequent exercise can also completely normalize GT by decreasing resistance to insulin in some patients with mild non insulin dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM) and in some individuals with impaired glucose tolerance (IGT). Exercise appears to be effective in normalizing GT only in patients who still have an adequate capacity to secrete insulin, and in whom insulin resistance is the major cause for abnormal GT. The amount of exercise required to normalize GT in such patients appears to be in the range of 25 to 35 km per week of running, or a comparable amount of another form of exercise, performed on a regular basis.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn the Meat Man View Post
    I hear there's no cure for diabetes ...
    Depends what you mean by "cure" I guess.

If people mean you can't come off all meds and go back to eating "normal" food, then I'd suppose so. But, if that's what's meant, then it's an odd way to conceptualize the state of affairs. What I think one has to recognize is that what most people in the indutrialized world currently eat is not normal but crazy abnormal.

I think that no one can eat like that long-term and not get ill. Not everyone will get diabetes -- although in the long run many will -- others will get other problems. But everyone will get broken (in the long run) if they eat what's not biologically appropriate for them. That goes for all creatures not just humans. Zoos have been killing gorillas by feeding them biscuits instead of greenery:

Gorillas go green: Apes shed pounds while doubling calories on leafy diet, researcher finds

I think one just needs to get to a place where one recognizes that the food that is now usual is not normal and shouldn't be eaten.

If you were to mean by "cure" could someone get to a point where they'd be on no meds but would suffer no symptoms of diabetes, so long as they stuck to an "ancestral' diet, I'd say that seems to be true. I know of two physicians who've cured themselves -- the gentlemen who run these sites:

Wheat Belly Blog | Lose the Wheat Lose the Weight

Dr. Jay’s Blog | A forum to discuss the documentary film, “My Big Fat Diet” , and the science of low carbohydrate diets.
    Last edited by Lewis; 07-12-2012 at 01:01 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks for the replies, gang.

Though I've not yet finished the PB book, in fact I've only just finished the chapter comparing Grok and the Korgs, I've gotten a pretty good idea of what to do.

I'm thinking about calling my "regular" doctor and telling him I'm dropping my Lipitor and Metformin on a trial basis, if he'd be willing to check my blood and sugar work-ups every six weeks, rather than every 6 months with as my endocrinologist does.

Perhaps it's worth getting a blood glucose meter? I'm very borderline, with my blood sugar no higher than 153 at its most recent fasting test in January, so my endo didn't think it warranted regular testing...but for some reason DID warrant medication, rather than better dietary advice. I don't like this doctor very much as a "healer."

So, Louisa, what's the difference to you between cheating and indulging?

Also, is there a general consensus around here on such supplements as Life Plus Daily Biobasics?

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Obviously I don't know about you personally, but something else that would be pretty unhelpful for people working in the industry you were in would be the split shifts and late nights.

In one experiment they took a group of fit young undergraduates, split it in two, fed both the same food but deprived one set of sleep. After a few days most of the sleep-deprived group had gone insuln-resistant, although they were not eating any different from the other group.

If you're serious about tacking your insulin resistance, I'd also look into really good and lengthy sleep with blackout-blinds and whatever else it takes:

Sleep, Sleep, Sleep! How artificial lighting and cortisol impact zzz’s

Amazon.com: Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar, and Survival (9780671038687): T. S. Wiley, Bent Formby: Books

I'd also strongly recommend Dr. Rosedale's diet, which he devised specifically for diabetic patients. It's pretty much the same as Primal only more rigorous. (I doubt a diabetic can play fast and loose with 100 to 150 grams of carbohydrate a day, although that's probably fine for most folk.) Rosedale also has a list of supplements in the book which can be temporarily useful for people with insukin resistance:

Amazon.com: The Rosedale Diet (9780060565732): Ron Rosedale, Carol Colman: Books

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Shawn The Meat Man:
    "So, Louisa, what's the difference to you between cheating and indulging?" >>>>>>>

Given that I've set a goal of weight loss and then re-defining my body through exercise and weights, I'm sticking to my full primal plan. Therefore, there are no 'cheats'. I don't crave sugar but I've been off it for months and months now.

I do have 'indulgences' but they don't include food. I reward myself with doing something nice for myself. Some examples are:
    1. I bought two new skirts and 2 new suits --- I'm on a roll with weight reduction, and these few treats make me feel good.
    2. Had my hair done last night
    3. Bought 2 new hot lipsticks (not the boring beige that us 'mature' girls wear) -- but two hot colours that this really cute cosmetician recommended to me.
    4. 10 New songs for my Ipod to listen to during my 2 hour walks.

Those are a few examples of my indulgences (particularly as I'm not a shopper), so had to put aside the time to get to a mall.

Hope your day was grand!

/louisa
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

TNFrogDogMom is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn the Meat Man View Post
    Thanks for the replies, gang.

Though I've not yet finished the PB book, in fact I've only just finished the chapter comparing Grok and the Korgs, I've gotten a pretty good idea of what to do.

I'm thinking about calling my "regular" doctor and telling him I'm dropping my Lipitor and Metformin on a trial basis, if he'd be willing to check my blood and sugar work-ups every six weeks, rather than every 6 months with as my endocrinologist does.

Perhaps it's worth getting a blood glucose meter? I'm very borderline, with my blood sugar no higher than 153 at its most recent fasting test in January, so my endo didn't think it warranted regular testing...but for some reason DID warrant medication, rather than better dietary advice. I don't like this doctor very much as a "healer."

Please get and read Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. Until then visit his web page and Blood Sugar 101 (just google for their sites). You need to not only be tracking your blood glucose but to log for 2 weeks your levels before then 1 and 2 hours after you eat to understand how your body processes the foods you eat. I had to find a new primary care physician to get one supportive of me turning my type 2 around. You can do much better by realizing the conventional medical advice will fail you. I have been reading everything I can since last fall when diagnosed. Having blood glucose levels routinely over 140 is where damage starts. Over the last 9+ months I have transitioned from cutting sugar to cutting all grains and going fully primal about February/March. I have lost 80 lbs with about 70 more to go (will figure it out as I get closer). I began walking for exercise and now have 2 walks per day and just added strength training this week. You have to get in the mindset that you will turn this around; it is at least 90% mental attitude to stick to it and make the changes. It is possible and you can make the changes. I am a 53 year old post-menopausal female. It won't be easy but the longer you stick with it the easier it will become. When I started my immediate gratification was controlling my blood glucose then as the weight dropped my determination just strengthened.

I suggest you not stop the meds until you have better control of your blood glucose and with the support of your physician.

I have lurked on the forums here for some time but felt I needed to respond to your posts. Please do read all you can; your doctors have done you no favors but likely don't know any better. No one cares about your health more than you do.
    Last edited by TNFrogDogMom; 07-12-2012 at 04:53 PM.

Lewis,
    Fortunately, I took myself out of the restaurant business. I had a morning chef job for a year, but that didn't help my diet, though it DID help my salary, sleep habits and family time.
    I have been out of work and focusing on my health and family the full first half of this year. I am now investing my time (and a great new chunk of debt) in setting up an all-natural butcher shop in my town. I'm looking forward to an endless supply of primal meats and local produce and groceries, as well as a reasonable schedule for one working in the "foodservice" industry.

Louisa,
    It sounds like you're doing well. Those first 5# surely feel great! I've already "ingrown" (opposite of out, right?) one belt that was on its 3rd notch, and my newest one is on its last notch. I refuse to buy new pants until I break the 200# mark, down 30# for the year.
    I remember a time when I was single, I was going to pay myself $30/# for weight loss, and when I got to $1000, I'd buy myself something nice. Since I didn't have a good plan, though, for food or exercise, and had no really awesome $1000 thing I wanted to justify buying, that plan failed like all the others. I only found the sense in this PB about two months ago.
    I was thrown by your original post, though. Though you've only been a member for a couple of weeks, you said you were willing to support me, so long as I didn't cheat...ever. I've thought a lot about that. I have no desire, obviously, to cheat, or fall off the wagon, or whatever, but I cannot remove myself completely from the world of modern food. If you cannot stand beside someone that is climbing into the same boat at the same time, and is sure to have setbacks and struggles, please go ahead and "press your back button" on me now. It's be a shame to get into a serious discussion or two, only to realize you've just left one days without notice.
    TnFrogDogMom,
    If my doctor doesn't think I'm at the point of glucose monitoring, why do you think I should do it regularly?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast