Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recovering chef wondering if it's too late. page 3

Sooze is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Welcome, Shawn.. I hope you have a great start to this lifestyle! I love all the studies people have offered you.. good reading. It sounds like you can definitely get off the meds, and turn your health around. 32 is so young still... I'm 35, and I see hubby's and my 55+ yr old parents aging rapidly, afflicted with sooo many health issues, and it just makes me sad and fired up to change my life before I become "broken". I've struggled with my own chronic health issues and feel them fading away as the weeks go by. I wish I could shout it to the world (or, my PCOS sister in law, my heart-attack father in law, my diabetes stepmother....) but no one will listen when I try! So I just smile when they tell me "Oh I would never give up bread" and know that I feel the best I've felt in my life. Look forward to hearing your updates!

Shawn the Meat Man is offline Junior Member
    Meghan and Sooze, thanks for chiming in and the great welcome.
    If I've learned anything this year, it's that those in denial tend to stay in denial. I've mentioned what I've learned to many, and have had to give up. So be it.

I've made an appointment with my preferred doctor to discuss my diet and drugs. With or without his advice, but at least under his supervision, I'm gonna stop my Lipitor and Metformin meds. I'll keep up my CoQ10 for a while in case it helps me "recover" from years of statin use.

Hopefully he will agree to the specific blood tests that I picked out of the PB book, and maybe repeat them monthly for the rest of the year.

autumnangel is offline Junior Member
    Hi Shawn

I'm not in any position to speak from experience re: meds and I'm new today myself, but I definitely know people who have taken the steps to change their diet (some much older than you) and have completely come off medications, so anything is possible. Of course, I need to take that on too!

Good luck.

autumnangel is offline Junior Member
    Hi Louisa

I'm new to this and have just read your reply to Shawn - I love what you say about surrounding yourself with positive 'do-ers'. I want to be one of those!

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn the Meat Man View Post
    I've made an appointment with my preferred doctor to discuss my diet and drugs. With or without his advice, but at least under his supervision, I'm gonna stop my Lipitor and Metformin meds. I'll keep up my CoQ10 for a while in case it helps me "recover" from years of statin use.
    Statins can be dropped cold turkey & I recommend doing that. Other meds, depending on what category & how long they've been taken, need to be weaned off of. You are young, smart(to be here @ MDA) & you're gonna likely be just fine. Great even!
    Your mention of Lipotor jogged my memory & I searched & re-found this. For optimal use of CoQ10, check out this link, Buy Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) Powder | PureBulk.com.The pertinent parts I've pasted below for you, great info. (Great bulk site, I used to buy their bulk 100% pure whey, all they have is real top quality stuff @ fair prices)

Caution: Do not exceed 800 mg per day.

Certain medications appear to deplete the body stores of CoQ10. These medications include statins (Lipitor Ž and others), fibric acid derivatives (LopidŽ and others), beta blockers (ToprolŽ and others), and tricyclic antidepressants (ElavilŽ and others). Individuals taking these types of medications should talk to their doctor about whether Coenzyme Q10 supplementation is right for them.

Many countries (including Japan, Italy, Sweden, Denmark, Israel, and Canada) classify CoQ10 as a prescription drug. In the United States, CoQ10 is considered a natural supplement and is a main constituent of many supplements that are available over the counter. CoQ10 is featured in many forms including capsules, tablets, skin creams, and combination supplements.
    Bioavailability, Mixing, and Solubility of Coenzyme Q10 (COQ10)

Coenzyme Q 10 is a very large molecule with some chemical properties that affect the rate in which the body can use it (hydrophobic). Very little is absorbed if it is just taken directly in powder form ( or as a powder in capsules). The assimilation and absorption of Coenzyme Q-10 may be improved if taken with a fatty substance such as oil, peanut butter, or olive oil. Subsequently, Coenzyme Q10 oral supplements are commonly sold as gel caps dissolved in soybean oil. While this delivery method is somewhat better, Purebulk suggests the following recipe to increase the bioavailability/absorption of Coenzyme Q10.

Coconut Q10 (Coenzyme Q10 & Coconut Oil Recipe for Increased Bioavailability)
    1) Heat 16 fluid ounces coconut oil to between 150°F (65°C) and 158°F (70°C) in a sauce pan on the stove.
    2) Add 25 grams Coenzyme Q10 powder. The powder will melt instantly and dissolve into the hot oil.
    3) Stir for one minute.
    4) Remove from heat and allow to cool to between 80°F (27°C) and 90°F (32°C).
    5) Pour mixture into a rigid plastic or glass resealable food storage container and allow to cool to room temperature.
    6) At below 76°F (24.4°C) coconut oil will turn solid, but that's alright.
    7) The blended oil should be kept sealed but refrigeration is optional.
    8) A level half teaspoon of this oil, liquid or solid, will net approximately 130 milligrams Co-enzyme Q10, which is in the usual range of a commonly recommended serving size for this most bio-available form of CoQ10.
    9) Do not exceed a serving size of 1 level teaspoon (260 milligrams) of the blended Coenzyme Q10 coconut oil per day, except under the care and supervision of a physician.
    10) Take your CoQ10 preferably with a fatty food at meal time. You may spread it on toast, or add it to any food like you would as if it were butter.

This 16 fluid ounce recipe will net 96 level teaspoons, or 192 level 1/2-teaspoons, enough highly bio-available coconut oil dissolved Coenzyme-Q10 for more than a 6 month supply.
    Recommended Storage of Coenzyme-Q10

In its crystalline form, Coenzyme-Q10 is extremely susceptible to oxidation, a chemical reaction with the oxygen in air. If kept in contact with air, CoQ10 will change from its usual bright orange color to a dark brown color., and will lose potency.

The best way to keep Coenzyme-Q10 from oxidizing is to solubilize the powder (see the Coenzyme Q10 & Coconut Oil recipe above). Coconut oil usually contains up to 40% medium chain triglycerides - natural antioxidant oils that protect Coenzyme Q10 from oxidation.

You will receive a resealable bag containing this powder. Reseal IMMEDIATELY AFTER EACH USE, making sure that a minimal amount of air present inside the bag along with the CoQ10 powder. We do not recommend keeping CoQ10 in a resealable jar because of the volume of air that remains in the jar.

We also do not recommend that you have no more than 25 grams CoQ10 in a single bag. When purchasing larger quantities of CoQ10, order some smaller bags too. Upon receipt, repackage so as to minimize the air exposure of your CoQ10 supply. Fill each bag about half full. Each bag holds 25-50 grams.
    References & Further Research

University of Maryland: Coenzyme Q10

WebMD: Questions and Answers About Coenzyme Q10

Coenzyme Q10: absorption, tissue uptake, metabolism and pharmacokinetics.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    you can totally get where you want to go
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Shawn,
    While Pure Bulk co is great, their CoQ10 is NOT cheap, not at all...
    I have a friend who owns his own herbal & supplement formulation company in Calif, it's where we buy the CoQ10 my mom uses... PM me if you want his contact info (I earn zero commish if you buy his stuff, just good karma).

Shawn the Meat Man is offline Junior Member
    Hey Betorq,
    Thanks for the heads up. Right now, I take Qunol Coq10, to the tune of a measly 100mg a day. It is the Qunol gelcap, which boasts that it's as good as 300mg of dry pills. Whatever. I do know that it works, and I return to my sluggish self when I miss itfor a few days. I'm tempted to add it to my lunch, in addition to my current regimen of having it with breakfast. It is suggested to avoid it for dinner, as it could energize you late into the night. No thanks.
    My Lipitor is the second smallest dose, and my Metformin is the lowest dose suggested to work at all. I feel I can cut these off cold turkey, especially since I've only had the Metformin for 6 months.

Wednesday I will hear my doctor's opinion.

Cool. Any high qual CoQ10, even a low dosage, imo is better than none. You can feel it, so it's doing something.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123