Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recovering chef wondering if it's too late. page 2

TNFrogDogMom is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn the Meat Man View Post
    TnFrogDogMom,
    If my doctor doesn't think I'm at the point of glucose monitoring, why do you think I should do it regularly?
    The primary care physician I had last November wanted to simply prescribe pills and provided zero guidance. I learned on my own starting with the 2 websites and book I suggested earlier. Current guidance by American Diabetes Assn. and others are much too lax for preventing damage to nerves and organs. Post-meal blood sugars need to be monitored to see how your body is processing/responding to your diet. Monitoring for a couple of weeks will give you an idea if you are reversing your condition, one of your stated goals. I now only check if I try something new as I tweak diet to push past stalls or see abnormal blood sugar trends.

Normal fasting blood sugar is 83 mg/dl or less. (Blood Sugar 101). Two hours after a meal most normal people are under 100. I have to eat LC or VLC to maintain these levels and still have trouble with "dawn phenomenon".

You can get a meter for free with rebate and least expensive strips I have found are on Amazon (For the True2go or TrueTest meters).

Again, my experience has been that I have to take care of my health and educate myself on how to do that best. I now have a primary care physician who listens and supports my goals. The previous quack had said to me the only way I could lose the weight at my age was bariatric surgery (note: autocorrect tried inserting barbaric); this after that being his solution.

What town is this new butcher shop?

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    ShawnTheMeatMan: Look, I realize I come across as a bit of a 'hard-ass'....but the reality is that when I decide to do something -- I do it, to the letter. I NEED to surround myself with like-minded individuals -- we all do. So, knowing what my strengths and weaknesses are, I'm setting out my expectations from the beginning. Do you think I NEVER feel temptation? Staff brought in fresh baked cookies today. I removed them from our front office and put them into the kitchen. I don't need to smell them and look at them all day --- I"m human. However, the bottom line is, I'm here, I'm serious and I have goals. Knowing my limits, I don't feel good about supporting individuals who make excuses for their poor behaviour every day. So, let's make an agreement to move forward slowly, until you and I get a better understanding of one another. Agree? /louisa
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Kakes is offline Senior Member
    Far be it for me to interfere in the random internet affairs of strangers, but Louisa dear, it's a health forum and you are kinda making it sound like a blood pact. You can make the solemn vows that you need to make to succeed, that's fantastic. But chill out on fire hosing the even newer newbies. Things like that can come across as a dash too much of crazy sauce over the internetz.
    Best of luck to all.
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    I don't think it's ever too late for most anything. This guy Experience: I am a 91-year-old bodybuilder | Life and style | The Guardian didn't start lifting until he was in his 80's. As for being a chef, it's a talent always in demand. You can cook good stuff as well as crap, there will be a growing demand for it.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    It's not a blood pact for anyone. I'm here -- I'm all in -- I'll lose my weight and get on with my life. For those who want to make this a life long experience, so be it.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    I'm 69. I've been on primal 2 1/2 years. (Actually much closer to Archevore.) I was on Metformin, which I think is a fairly healthy med. My doc took me off it because she thought it was damaging my liver. She wanted to put me on some crappy med. I refused.
    Instead, I started IFing, which reduced my carbs more, and started being more active. My glucose has actually gone down. I'm not really suggesting you IF yet. Just saying that it most definitely is not too late for you. Good luck.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Periwinkle is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Shawn. I just started primal a few weeks ago. I just gave up raw dairy yesterday day though. Any changes you make to your diet in favor of primal are to your benefit. I certainly deviate from primal eating from time to time. Sometimes you have to spend a few weeks getting to know your body. I didnt want to give up raw milk and raw cheese. I read on here that some people do great eating dairy and lose weigth, get healthier, etc... I went primal and kept raw dairy for 4 weeks and have decided that my body could benefit from eliminating dairy for 30 days. (Tasty raw milk...how I miss you!). In 30 days, I'll drink big glasses of awesome tasty raw milk and see how my body feels. If my body doesnt like it...then I'll listen to my body and limit dairy raw cheese every once in a while. I also eat about an ounce of 85% dark chocolate every day. Will I give up dark chocolate some day...I doubt it. Will I every once in a while eat heritage rice? Probably. Am I way healthier than I was a month ago...you bet!

Sometimes it is a journey. I experiemented with nightshades, for example. I discoverd that tomatoes and peppers especially make me sick. I will probably give organic white potatoes another chance at some point, even though they are nightshades too. but again, if my body says...NO Potatoes...I'll respect that.

Your butcher shop sounds awesome! I wish I lived near it.

Again welcome!
    It's just another day in paradise
    As you stumble to your bed
    You'd give anything to silence
    Those voices ringing in your head
    You thought you could find happiness
    Just over that green hill
    You thought you would be satisfied
    But you never will-
    Learn to be still
    -The Eagles

Shawn the Meat Man is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the replies, all.

I am planning in the next couple of weeks to see my doctor about dropping my meds on an experimental basis. I think my PCP, who is more my age and open to new ideas, will be more willing to accept this plan than my endocrinologist, who is a very by-the-book, regimented kinda guy. We're just not reading the same books.

The butcher shop will be opening in September, hopefully, in Alcoa, TN, just south of Knoxville.

I reat my previous question:

What is the Primal opinion on such supplements as Life Plus daily Biobasics? They've supposedly done wonderful things for my immediate family, but are they primal?

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn the Meat Man View Post
    I reat my previous question:

What is the Primal opinion on such supplements as Life Plus daily Biobasics? They've supposedly done wonderful things for my immediate family, but are they primal?
    I think it would be near impossible to answer that definitively. Someone may have noticed an improvement in his health with taking product X, but unless he'd changed nothing else in his routine how would you know it was down to that?

The lastest thinking among paleo researchers seems to be that supplements can be counter-productive. See, for example, prof. Cordain's latest book:

Amazon.com: The Paleo Answer: 7 Days to Lose Weight, Feel Great, Stay Young (9781118016084): Loren Cordain: Books

I think there are so many things in the product that you link that predicting what it may or may not do would be like playing chess in 3-dimensions. Maybe you coud do with supplementation of some of those nutrients but not of others. Without labs and specific guidance from a knowledgeable physician how could you have a hope of knowing?

Here are some things that would give me -- rightly or wrongly - pause for thought.

1. The largest single component in there seems to be psyllium husks. Now psyllium is actually one thing that Cordain is not (necessarily) against, although he generally preaches caution with supplements. However, fiber seems to an area fraught with controversy. One friend of Mark's -- Konstantin Monasterky -- has a whole book warning against the excessive consumption of fiber:

Amazon.com: Fiber Menace: The Truth About the Leading Role of Fiber in Diet Failure, Constipation, Hemorrhoids, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Ulcerative Colitis, Crohn's Disease, and Colon Cancer (9780970679642): Konstantin Monastyrsky: Books

I don't know whether Mark has ever commented on psyllium husks, but there's probably grounds for thinking he mght not regard them as Primal. I'd certainly not like to say that they might not hurt some individuals' insides.

2. There's quite a lot of calcium in there: 100% of the RDA. Is that really necessary? And what form is the calcium in?

The ingredient label says "calcium carbonate". Bascially, that's chalk. It's cheap, but not an easily absorbable form of the mineral. Expensive supplements use microcrystalline calcium hydroxyapatite -- the form in which the mineral occurs in bone:

Amazon.com: calcium hydroxyapatite

Prof. Cordain -- again, see the book linked earlier -- has grave misgivings about people comsuming "supra-normal" concentrations of calcium in the form of dairy products. Calcium supplements, particularly in non-absorbable forms may be even worse. Calcium supplements have been linked with increased risk of heart disease and stroke:

Calcium supplements linked to significantly increased heart attack risk, study suggests

They seem to have beocme something of a cultural obsession, because of people's fear of osteoporosis. However, bone is not just mineral but also has a protein matrix, and it's beginning to looka s though osteoporosis is likely linked with the latter not the former.

Calcium supplements are probably not primal. Primal would probably advise getting your minerals through genuine bone-broth made by a real chef!

3. Folic acid is the other one that strikes the eye. You get folate from liver, kidneys, and leafy green vegetables. It's necessary. Folic acid is not folate and does not occur in nature. it's stuffed in supplements in the hope that your liver will do the necessary conversion. Dubious thinking. Folic acid supplementation seems to be linked with some cancers. Again, see Cordain's book The Paleo Answer.

Folic acid is probably not primal.

There you go. I think some of the stuff in there is probably either harmless or actually a good thing, but there's at least three ingredients there that would give me pasue for thought.

There may be some targetted minimal supplementation that would be -- temporarily -- useful for you if you've gone insulin-resistant. Again, I'd probably have a look at the suggestions at the back of Dr. Rosedale's book. I think it's probably best to take specific supplements for specific purposes on a short-term basis rather than take some kitchen-sink type pill.

Most people can probably do with some vitamin D3 (since we don't get out in the sun enough), a little fish oil (since most of us don't eat enough oily fish), and some magnesium supplementation (since that mneral has become depleted in soil) -- and perhaps a probiotic. I think anything else is probably best minimized and taken as a something targeted at a specific personal need.

I can't claim I've got a definitvev answer here, but that's my best understanding at present, and seems to be in line with what researchers like Cordain are saying.

meghanwaslike is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Shawn
    I know you've already heard most of this, but here's my deal. I'm 28 years old, and I've had T2 since I was 18. In the past couple years, being on a high fiber, low fat diet, I have gone from just taking pills (metformin) to being on insulin and hbp meds. I started researching primal/paleo at the end of 2011 and decided to go for it in Feb/March of this year. Since starting, I'm down 44 pounds from my highest weight ever, my blood pressure has dropped enough that I went off my meds (I had to, because every time I stood up from a sitting position I'd get dizzy) and my A1C levels have dropped an entire point since my last blood test. My cholesterol levels have all gone to where they need to be (there was a threat of statins, that's what led me to MDA) and my doctor is totally happy with everything. 10 years of diabetes and being WAY overweight, trying every "diet" out there, trying to see if my insurance covered Gastric Bypass Surgery, trying to figure out if I could finance plastic surgery, etc. left me so depressed and disheartened, I never thought I would be healthy or attractive. Now I eat right, cross-fit during the week, go hiking sometimes, and everything is falling into place. I have a feeling I'll be off insulin within 6 months, and hopefully by this time next year, off meds in general and at my goal weight. I feel better, I look better, and I'm happy. It's NEVER too late!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast