Thread: Am I in fat burning mode? page

crewmom is offline Junior Member

Am I in fat burning mode?

Primal Fuel
    Hello all....I've been lurking around here for over a month, and have been primal for about that amount of time also. I've done some searches through out the web-site looking for some way for me to get an indication that I was now a fat-burner instead of a sugar burner. The easiest "test" I could discover was to try fasting for a period of time, and to pay attention to what signals your body gave you.

I finished up with my dinner last night around 6:30 pm yesterday,(Tue.) and I am just finishing up an awesome BAS while typing this at around 1:00 pm today. (wed) No real over-whelming hunger pangs until late this morning, and it was more of a question my tummy was asking me. I basically told it not now, then went on with my life; the next thing I knew there was another hopeful murmuring and a couple of hours had passed. I did seem to feel my tummy get excited when I was thinking out what I would bring with me for my lunch today, but it was shut down pretty easily too....

So my question to all of you veterans, should I consider myself in the fat-burning mode? Or should I not experience ANY hunger during a fast, or should I try fasting for a long period of time to try to figure this out?

I will say, the past week or so, I've been able to go "shopping" in my closet, and my hands are looking decidedly thinner lol.

Thank you ahead of time for any input/suggestions/comments!

Ribbons is offline Senior Member
    Maybe but if you're going to continue to eat this way then why does it matter? Your ability to burn fat will probably just increase as time goes on so I wouldn't worry about whether you're in "fat-burning mode" or not right now. It's not really a black and white thing.

I'm aware it's not a "black or white thing." Responses like this are what make many people decide not to even post....

I certainly hope someone who is more constructive will read my question and will have real information to offer, I'm SURE I'm not the only one who has had this question.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    In addition to intermittent fasting with ease (14 hrs is long enough for women) I'd say being able to go with eating minimal carbs < 50 g for 18-24 hours is a very reliable indicator, plus not needing to snack. Also losing body fat indicates you are a bit of a fat-burning beast (sorry if that's stating the obvious).

For me it took a month or two of eating primally before I no longer experienced strong hunger, and it was a few months before I was able to eliminate snacking and do intermittent fasting.

As you're getting positive results so far, I say stick with it and that you will be amazed at the gradual improvements in your health all round.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Aren't there ketosis sticks that you can get so you can tell?
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    here is mark's post covering the way to tell if you're a fat burner:
    What Does it Mean to Be Fat-Adapted? | Mark&#039;s Daily Apple

and the following pull from that article is a great way to tell:
    If you can handle exercising without having to carb-load, you’re probably fat-adapted. If you can workout effectively in a fasted state, you’re definitely fat-adapted.
    and here's his little quiz from the end of that same article:
    No, there’s no test to take, no simple thing to measure, no one number to track, no lab to order from your doctor. To find out if you’re fat-adapted, the most effective way is to ask yourself a few basic questions:

Can you go three hours without eating? Is skipping a meal an exercise in futility and misery?
    Do you enjoy steady, even energy throughout the day? Are midday naps pleasurable indulgences, rather than necessary staples?
    Can you exercise without carb-loading?
    Have the headaches and brain fuzziness passed?
    judging by your experience above, i'd say that you're probably a fat burner, or least certainly on your way.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    If you've given up all grains and sugar you're definitely in fat burning, IMO.
    Be sure to get enough good fats with avocados, ghee, fat from grass fed steaks, pork, etc.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by crewmom View Post
    I finished up with my dinner last night around 6:30 pm yesterday,(Tue.) and I am just finishing up an awesome BAS while typing this at around 1:00 pm today. (wed) No real over-whelming hunger pangs until late this morning, and it was more of a question my tummy was asking me. I basically told it not now, then went on with my life; the next thing I knew there was another hopeful murmuring and a couple of hours had passed. I did seem to feel my tummy get excited when I was thinking out what I would bring with me for my lunch today, but it was shut down pretty easily too....

So my question to all of you veterans, should I consider myself in the fat-burning mode? Or should I not experience ANY hunger during a fast, or should I try fasting for a long period of time to try to figure this out?

I will say, the past week or so, I've been able to go "shopping" in my closet, and my hands are looking decidedly thinner lol.

Thank you ahead of time for any input/suggestions/comments!
    This says yes to me. It is not that there is never any hunger at all but that huger is a different experience. It's more like a memo from your tummy that you can set aside to deal with later as opposed to a five alarm fire siren.

And Primal Rob did a good job of summing it up.

Thank you everyone for your input; I have to say I agree with you Paleobird, that Rob did an excellent job. That is what I was seeing when I was researching my question on the forum. I think I just wanted to hear from those of you who are much more experienced with PB, sort of looking for some type of affirmation.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by crewmom View Post
    Thank you everyone for your input; I have to say I agree with you Paleobird, that Rob did an excellent job. That is what I was seeing when I was researching my question on the forum. I think I just wanted to hear from those of you who are much more experienced with PB, sort of looking for some type of affirmation.
    Welcome. We wish you well on your journey. It sounds like you are off to a great start.