Thread: Exhaustion, hair loss, and allergies??? page

nikkig is offline Junior Member

Exhaustion, hair loss, and allergies???

Primal Fuel
    I have been eating about 80-90% primal since the end of February 2012. I felt amazing after the first two weeks of carb withdrawal. I have lost 17.5 lbs and my body feels strong and healthy. I excercise regularly: bodyweight exercise, walking, sprinting, and when I can get to a class yoga.

Sounds great! Right???

My question is this: When should my allergies go away? I have been exhausted since the beginning of June and cannot feel rested which I believe is my seasonal allergies. Also I have been experiencing more hair loss than usual. I am not at my perfect weight yet. I am 5' 7" and 150.5 lbs. I probably have another 10lbs or so to go to get rid of all the fat on my body. Not sure what my perfect weight is because I have never been there as an adult.

Has anyone else felt like this while being Paleo? And did it eventually go away?
    Last edited by nikkig; 07-12-2012 at 06:00 AM.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    What makes you think your allergies will go away? Some people have experienced allergy relief as a result of cutting out toxins (people sensitive/allergic to wheat, dairy, soy, corn, legumes etc.), but if your allergies are seasonal, you will likely always experience them. I stick with a daily Zyrtec as mine have not changed any, but am taking 1 tsp of raw local honey every day to see if my body can acclimate to the local pollens. The constant post nasal drip is what bothers me the most.

I would suggest you try out some OTC allergy meds to see if those help your exhaustion and look into whether your insurance covers allergy shots/treatment.

And to clarify, if you got rid of all the fat on your body, you'd die!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Oh and as to the hair loss, get your iron levels checked. Low iron can often result in hair falling out (that was my problem anyway).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

I guess I misunderstood when I read that allergies cleared up as a result of eating this way to be all allergies not just food allergies. I was taking OTC medicine and it is not helping so I stopped to see if that was what was causing the exhaustion. Also I meant all the extra fat on my body (you know the bumpy fat that does not belong there). I heard that the local raw honey works but it takes a year or two of continual use to work. Good luck to you with that!

Comma is offline Senior Member
    I actually newly aquired seasonal allergies this year- never had them before and sure don't like it. :P
    Also have the hair problem- it's been falling out a lot for a few weeks now. Exhaustion comes and goes, but 7 days of Whole 30 did well on that one. Also sent my libido through the roof which is not appreciated. :P

And my iron is fine. Not sure about lack of protein, sure I have way more than I used to.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Hair loss can be a result of dramatic dietary change or just very low carb in general. You read it a lot in low carb forums. It's one of the reasons I can't stay low carb.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Do you happen to know what your vitamin D3 levels look like? You may need D3.

You could also try adding in weekly liver for a boost of vitamins, iron, and energy. Brazil nuts and a seaweed can add in some selenium and iodine that might boost up your thyroid function. Carbs could be too low.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

@ jammies: It could be vitamin D3. I do get lots of sunlight right now during the summer though. My daughter plays softball so I am pretty much outside all the time. I am getting bloodwork drawn next week so I will ask if they can check my vitamin levels. It could also be too low carbs..I eat mainly veggies for my carbs but I am busy and sometimes I am not hungry with this way of eating. I still have about 10-15 lbs to go (I think) so I have been trying to stay away from fruit unless I am really having a craving. Thank you!

@Comma: Whole 30 sounds interesting. What is that? I am fairly new to Paleo. I started following Wheat Belly diet per my father's Dr.'s suggestion at the end of February and did well with that for a couple of months and then the weight stopped coming off and that is when I found Paleo/Primal way of eating.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nikkig View Post
    I have been eating about 80-90% primal since the end of February 2012. I felt amazing after the first two weeks of carb withdrawal. I have lost 17.5 lbs and my body feels strong and healthy. I excercise regularly: bodyweight exercise, walking, sprinting, and when I can get to a class yoga.

Sounds great! Right???

My question is this: When should my allergies go away? I have been exhausted since the beginning of June and cannot feel rested which I believe is my seasonal allergies. Also I have been experiencing more hair loss than usual. I am not at my perfect weight yet. I am 5' 7" and 150.5 lbs. I probably have another 10lbs or so to go to get rid of all the fat on my body. Not sure what my perfect weight is because I have never been there as an adult.

Has anyone else felt like this while being Paleo? And did it eventually go away?
    A few points caught my attention: 2nd sentence "..and my body feels strong & healthy" & in the next paragraph you say things like, "allergies, ....I have been exhausted since the beginning of June and cannot feel rested which I believe is my seasonal allergies. Also I have been experiencing more hair loss than usual."

So you're losing even more hair than usual, you're exhausted but can't get rested. That sounds majorly sucky. And you have kids & loads of responsibilities that parenthood carries.

Allergies, whether food based or airborne(ie seasonal based) all indicate issues with your immune system, histamine response & gut inflammation.

Why can 1 person eat peanuts every day or breathe in pollen every spring without any issues & the next person gets sick? There is nothing "wrong" with peanuts or pollen (though some may argue peanuts are aflatoxin riddled legumes) but that's not the point I'm trying to get across. What's wrong is how the digestive system & the immune system identifies those peanuts or those pollens are invaders that must be attacked. These are faulty signals to the brain & or the immune system & the response are errors too. Attacking pollen is an error. Gut permeability can be a major underlying player or it may be the entire issue. NAET is a form of acupuncture that resets allergies, so that the body no longer mistakes the pollen or the food as a toxic foreign invader. You would of course need to know any & all of your local pollens & foods too that you may be allergic to in order to properly treat & resolve them. Melons, cukes, bananas & other primal foods you might be regularly consuming could be compounding any weed pollen allergies you have. Google NAET to find a local practitioner to consult with. It may very work for you, as I've had friends with decades of allergies find total relief & removal of the allergies by NAET sessions.

I'd also start initially by buying/consuming lots of probiotics, a strong formula if you can afford the expense for at least 1 bottle. More important in my opinion & lot cheaper in the long term for you & your family, is making & eating your own fermented veggies, like kimchi, sauerkraut, garlic pickles & kefir &/or yogurt if you do dairy. I'd recommend both veggie & dairy ferments, as they each have completely different but all beneficial bacterias. They are a big part of healing gut permeability issues & strengthening immunity. The bacteria that comes from local fermented veggies help the body in its defense against allergens, gut inflammation & bottom line can make you feel better pretty quickly (ease into the kimchi, sauerkraut as too much too fast can cause a healing response, ie you could feel sicker before you feel better).

I hope this helps...
    Last edited by Betorq; 07-12-2012 at 11:08 PM. Reason: typo, rushed typing