Thread: Lean Body Mass page

dragonfire2875 is offline Junior Member

Lean Body Mass

Is is possible, as a woman, to have a lean body mass of 160 pounds? I'm 5'8', 300 pounds, body fat measured at 46.8% (via handheld body fat calculator). Is 160 pounds accurate? I do have a large frame (There's Viking in my blood!) and none of my family is small framed. I am trying to figure out how much protein I need to be getting daily, so I want to make sure that this is correct. I've done the calculations myself and used a couple of online calculators, just to double check. Thanks!

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    To answer your question, sure it is.... But remember, that lean mass will change as you lose weight. You will also lose lean mass as you lower your weight.
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    totally possible, but it's going to require some work and patience...mostly patience. also, i wouldn't be aiming for 160 right now. if that's where you want to end up, fine, but i think that number might change over time. right now, aim for losing 10% of your weight. keep going after smaller goals. not only are they easier to achieve, which gives you a little boost, but they also give you the freedom to change your end goal a bit. once you get to a certain level, you'll see that trying to lose weight isn't nearly as important as trying to lose fat...and, boom, 18% body fat is your new end goal, not some number on a scale.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I'm 5'6" (so 2 inches shorter) and probably small- to medium-boned. I'm most likely older than you too (47) but very active, and 145 is the perfect weight for me. I could see 160 being reasonable for you.

It's going to be an estimate anyway, just to get an idea for about how much protein you want. Nothing is written in stone, and it's usually a good idea to play it by ear.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Sure it's possible ... and impressive so hang on to that muscle.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 07-11-2012 at 02:23 PM.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

primalsun is offline Member
    I think both Rita and Rob may have misunderstood the question. The OP is asking about her current Lean Body Mass (LBM), which is her total body weight minus weight in fat. As a woman, even at 300 lbs, it seems unlikely that your lean body mass is 160 lbs. Getting exact measurements for bf% and LBM can be a challenge, so I would just focus on eating real whole foods, and try to eat about 25-30% of total calories from protein. Best of luck in your journey!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Ah. In that case, you're right. It's going to be much lower, like around 120.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

dragonfire2875 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks everyone for the info. I have been Primal for about 5 months now, and while it has worked wonders for my blood sugar (type II diabetic) and cholesterol levels, the weight loss isn't what I'd expect from a VLC diet. I have done low carb diets before to control my blood sugar, but there were still the "healhy carbs" involved. The effect on my blood sugar was not what I had wanted, or expected, especially since I also have to take insulin. I try not to get in the habit of weighing myself too often. I find i do better if i don't. I seem to be very intolerant to carbs as far as blood sugar goes, so I probably eal less than 75 grams a day. I am trying to find out what I am missing. Maybe not enough protein, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I need to lift more heavy things. I walk daily and I love it, but I sure do hate squats! Thanks again for the encouragement!