Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RAW cow milk and human consumption page 2

bopfer is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Milk is loaded with vitamins and minerals and an excellent protein source. If you like it and tolerate it, it should definitely be part of your diet. It can also help balance amino acids if you eat a lot of muscle meat and no organ meats or broths.

spughy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artichoke View Post
    I used to know a guy doing research on lactose intolerance. He told me milk drinking started in Turkey and it's possible to track movement from there through genes. He told me that if people don't have the milk gene they don't make the enzyme to digest it. There are huge swathes of the world which never drank milk or ate dairy products until they came in contact with the SAD.

In the UK raw milk can't be bought in shops, only from farms with accredited inspected herds. We don't have CAFOs and bovine growth hormones are banned so American milk is banned also. I can't buy American cheeses in my local supermarkets so maybe that is banned too ??? I have bought supermarket-own brand Canadian Cheddar though and weirdly it tastes far better than the stuff I ate in Toronto.
    There are many, many cheese producers in Canada - some are very good and some produce boring orange cheese. You probably ate the latter in Toronto. I was surprised when I last visited Britain, I asked at the grocery for a raw milk cheese and they said "All we have is this cheddar. It's from Canada." I laughed, and bought some, and I'm pretty sure it's the same brand, repackaged, as is in all the big supermarkets here. It's good, there's nothing wrong with it - but for a country with so many good cheeses, Britain is really weird about the raw cheese. Did you ever see that episode of Chef where the guy is trying to buy raw milk Stilton? Hilarious.

Anyway, there's no reason to drink milk if you don't want to. If you can digest lactose and have no problems with casein, then raw whole milk is a great source of calcium and vitamins and good fats. And, as someone else said, it IS freakin' delicious. Also, butter made from grass-fed Jersey cows... oh my. It's a billion times more buttery than store butter. Fantastic. BUT it's still not an essential part of a good diet. And I say that as a co-owner of several cows, cheesemaker and dairymaid.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    All said your question seems to be is milk "optimal" or not. While it is obviously individual I can say that raw milk treats me a WHOLE lot better than any other variety. In terms of content Goats milk is obviously closer to our own make up and probably a better choice simply because of that. On my list of things to eliminate fruit comes in ahead of milk.....but thats my list.

In the end though it is absolutely NOT necessary. If it isn't raw and/or fermented I would definitely never bother with it.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-11-2012 at 06:22 PM.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    My uncle (in an effort to get people to switch to soy milk, of all things) once posted on FB that cow's milk has evolved to bring a calf from birth to double its weight in less than two months, I think. Human milk accomplishes a similar feat in a significantly longer time.

Therefore, cow milk is not necessarily desirable for those trying to lose weight. It's great for those trying to gain it, like myself.

I think I'll go have some now, in fact.

It's true, large doses of cow's milk do seem to favour muscle-building. I've done raw milk fasts and been pleasantly surprised by my lifting results post-fast. (ie, eating nothing but raw milk for a few days - surprisingly easy and not difficult at all).

Paleobird Guest
    There's that whole GOMAD (gallon of milk a day) site for serious muscle heads.

I'm not a serious muscle-head. But I did consume a gallon of milk a day for a few days. Of course, I didn't eat anything ELSE...

I think whether or not a food should be consumed should be essentially based on toxicity levels, nutritional content and taste. Not theorizing on whether or not something was purposely put on this earth for our consumption or whether or not grok may have eaten it. There's nothing essential about dairy consumption but it offers a lot nutritionally and taste wise so there's no real reason to exclude it if you do fine on it and enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
    Ok, ya gotta do better than that. Seems it is just not primal even if mark sisson says so. It defies the laws of nature.
    Primal is mark sissons brand so he decides what's "primal". If mark says mixing cyanide into your coffee is primal then cyanide coffee is primal. lol. Paleo is a different story. From what I understand that's about excluding foods entirely that weren't available in the paleolithic era, which is a decent starting framework but ultimately pretty stupid if that's all you're basing your dietary decisions on.

pdjesson is offline Senior Member
    Mark McAfee is on the Underground Wellness Q&A this evening/tonight.
    All the best!

PDJ

The quieter you become the more you're able to hear.

Mawlana Jalaludin Rumi

pdjesson is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Underlying all these theories, assumptions and opinions God has said, in The Noble Qur`an (a near translation of the meanings): "And in the cattle there is truly a lesson for you. We give you to drink of that which is in their bellies; there are in them, (besides), numerous other benefits for you; and of their meat you eat." (Qur'an 23:21)

"And truly in the cattle there is a lesson for you. We give you to drink of that which is in their bellies, between the refuse and the blood, pure milk palatable to the drinkers." (Qur'an 16:66)
    All the best!

PDJ

The quieter you become the more you're able to hear.

Mawlana Jalaludin Rumi

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast