Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morning smoothie not holding me over... page

ciavyn is offline Senior Member

Morning smoothie not holding me over...

Shop Now
    Howdy, folks!

I am currently on a Candida Overgrowth diet, which for those who are new to this lovely experience, it's a result of stress, too much sugar over years of eating crappy, etc. I have been Primal for almost a year and a half (or Paleo -- pretty much limit dairy due to intolerance), so imagine my surprise when I was diagnosed with THIS. But you know that funky word, "Cheat?" yeah. I used that a bit too often.

Nonetheless, I'm limited to veggies, protein sources like meat, chicken and fish, and nuts. No sugars of any kind. So here's my query:

I find when I add more fat to my diet, I'm very satiated. I made this smoothie this morning:
    10 fl oz coconut milk
    2 raw eggs
    2 T coconut oil
    1 t vanilla
    1/2 t cinnamon
    1/4 t nutmeg
    Stevia to sweeten (I'm not a fan of any sweeteners beyond raw honey, but this is the only candida diet approved sweetener, so work with me here)

It is AWESOME. Yummy, satisfying and surprisingly refreshing.

Until 2 hours later when I'm ready to gnaw off my arm. I am fat-adapted, so I'm sitting here hungry without any other symptoms than an annoyed belly. And I'm drinking water to quell the urge to snack -- I'm trying really hard to get away from my snacking habit.

Any thoughts as to what I can add to this smoothie that might make it more satisfying? Would 3 T coconut oil be pushing it? Another egg? I'm a semi-active, small female, so I generally don't eat more calories (for lack of a better way to measure) than what this smoothie provides, when I made my usual breakfasts of eggs, bacon, or coconut bars. I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Thanks!

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I don't know a lot about the diet so I don't want to comment what you could add to the shake but could you not just have another 2 hours later?
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    add a protein powder, they have 100% all natural egg white protein by Healthy n' Fit, you are only getting about 14 from the eggs, not too much, also maybe try fasting in the morning, and then give yourself an 8 hour eating window and just eat and eat..how are you with dairy? Greek yogurt is good too, but I would say more protein.

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member
    I always find a cup of hot black coffee sorts out the hunger for a while.
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

Caffeine is out, as is fasting, as you aren't supposed to stress the body or the adrenals in any way shape or form. I used to IF in the mornings, and I really enjoyed it. But alas...

Would four eggs be too much? I'd rather do that over add a powder which may or may not come from well-sourced, pastured chickens (yeah, I'm one of those people.) That seems like a lot of raw egg. Not sure.

Just running the ingredients through a nutrition website comes up with ~920 calories, 98 g. fat, 10 g. carbs, and 22 g. protein. If that much fat isn't satiating, then maybe the culprit is protein? It might be worth experimenting with adding more protein, although I'm not sure how 4 eggs in a shake would go down. Why not just cook a couple of eggs and eat them as a companion to the shake? Might also want to cut back on the coconut oil since you're already getting a pretty big caloric bomb from the coconut milk. Smoothie sans coconut oil, and two eggs fried in 1 t. of coconut oil = 871 calories, 75 g. fat, 10 g. carbs, and 34 g. protein.

Ribbons is offline Senior Member
    From my understanding coconut oil is used immediately as energy and generally doesn't get stored as body fat, so you could add a bit more if you want. And more eggs are probably fine too if you don't have any problems with raw eggs.

labmonkey is offline Senior Member
    I'd add an avocado...umm, can you? Sorry I don't know this diet either but, assume fruit is out. ?? B.c I'd also add a whole banana to this too

So, this breakfast is your preferred one. Quick and convenient ? I was first thinking, "why aren't you just having leftovers like fish with fried up veggies and a couple of hard boiled eggs?"

I use So Delicious coconut milk, which is less of a calorie bomb. Fear not, I'll be returning to regular coconut milk as soon as this round of it is done. I don't care for it, but it was on sale. I've learned my lesson.

I need something fast in the mornings, and live with voracious eater. So when I think I'll have leftovers...usually not. And I need a way to coconut oil in. I don't like cooking with it -- I like it by itself, but I don't like the sweetness it lends to meats and the like -- so I generally take it in the form of a wonderful, primal coconut bar. It's awesome! But the bar uses cocoa and raw honey, both of which are out on this form of eating. :sigh: I'm considering experimenting with a vanilla coconut bar.

the avocado I've considered -- I have some texture issues with them in smoothies, but maybe if I just did a quarter instead of a half...that's a good idea.

Anyway, the feedback is much appreciated, gang. Truly. This diet isn't particularly difficult for me as I have celiac's disease, so I don't mind cutting out foods! But the symptoms take their toll, and the brain fog is brutal. So you guys doing some of the "thinking" heavy-lifting is a godsend. Thank you.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    PrimalCon New York
    I would also suggest a protein powder to beef it up a bit (and switching to pure coconut milk, not the manufactured stuff like So Delicious makes). NOW Foods makes a plain whey protein isolate (as in no flavor AND no sugar) that might be a good option for you.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast