Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Morning smoothie not holding me over... page 2

ciavyn is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I wish! I actually had a wonderful protein powder I used to use, but any powder is off limits, especially whey. But thank you for the suggestion.

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    I have the same problem with smoothies in the morning. I would love to have them for breakfast, but they just don't hold me over the way solid food does. Think of it this way - a smoothie is really "pre-digested" in some ways, so it goes through you faster. Try having some solid food for breakfast like meat and eggs and veggies. Have you tried using refined coconut oil for cooking? It really doesn't have any flavor at all.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    I used to have regular smoothies (berries, whey powder, yogurt, coconut milk, tea) for breakfast and my stomach would growl at 10:30 am, like clockwork. I added two hard-boiled eggs to breakfast; problem solved. Now I forget to have lunch until 1 pm.

For the original poster: you're on a such a restricitive diet that I don't think there's a good smoothie out there.
    Can you bake up a pound of ground beef into four patties and eat one each day for breakfast? I used to do that and it worked for me.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Can you eat real food? Why not have some steak and eggs instead? Your smoothie might taste good but in my opinion it's mostly empty, nutritionless calories. Eat some real food and maybe your hunger will abate.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Glad to know I'm not alone! And the logic makes sense. Thank you for the input.

I'm torn on this one for two reasons. I bloat on almost all solid food right now -- it's a symptom of the candida (until I'm told otherwise -- second opinion on Monday). So the smoothie actually doesn't bloat me as badly. That being said, I do have left overs I often keep for lunch, but maybe having a small meatloaf made of acceptable ingredients would make a nice add in. That's a great idea -- thank you.

Paleobird Guest
    But if you're eating eggs in the smoothie anyway, why not just have them in solid form? (I can see that maybe spicy sausage or something might be bloaty.) If you down 6, count 'em, 6 fried eggs, you will not be hungry for quite a while. Also 6 eggs=420 calories+cooking fat.

Liquid calories just don't stay with you as long as solid ones.

Update: so this morning I thought, okay, let's try this. Used a cup of coconut milk (canned), two eggs, 3T of coconut oil, along with the rest of the original recipe. It was awesome. Flavorful, thick, barely needed any sweetener. Holy Yum.

Yeah, the calories, however, are now 836. I had no idea. But 8 carbs, and all wholesome foods. And I'm not hungry. So I may modify a little, but overall, a successful venture.

Paleobird: unfortunately, everything bloats me. When I eat just eggs cooked, it immediately bloats. Having less to digest means slightly less bloating. Believe you me, this is not my ideal way to eat, but until I kick this thing, I'm stuck. I can't even eat fruit or carby veggies. It's like food torture, and not the good kind. BUT it's doable. I used to have a problem keeping my carbs low -- now I can't get enough in!

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    smoothies never hold me over. never. i eat a breakfast of a decent portion of meat and a large portion of vegetables (usually lightly steamed greens topped with butter). that usually holds me over for quite a while. sorry you can't have solids. maybe make the smoothie and pour it into two portions; save the second portion for later when you're hungry again.

CE402 is online now Senior Member
    Liquid calories are almost never as satiating as solid. When i was bulking I woukd make a smoothie post workout with 2 scoops of whey, coconut water, 2/3 of a sweet potato, and a cup and a half of frozen berries. It was something like 600 calories when it was all said and done, and over 50g of protien. 45 minutes later after I showered up, I could put down another 3-4 eggs fried in coconut oil and two chicken breasts. It was the solid food that would hold me over, not the liquid calorie bomb.

Your other issue is that the protien in liquid/raw eggs is not as bioavailable as once they're cooked, so your 900 calorie smoothie with 14g of protein may have even less effective protien than you think. Some people are forgetting that it's protien + fat that is satiating, not JUST fat. You're still hungry because your body is likely starved for amino acids; I doubt you can find a natural food source with such a jacked up caloric ratio of fatrotein.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12