Thread: Another from Virginia! ;) page

torena is offline Junior Member

Another from Virginia! ;)

Shop Now
    I live in Prince William County, VA. My name is Janelle, and I'm 32. I have a husband and two children who aren't too keen on the Primal lifestyle yet, but I certainly am. I have been trying to do Paleo/Primal for a year, but I was trying to do it with the whole family involved. We tried to do the 30 day challenge but my husband broke down 2 weeks in that he had been *starving*. I'm at least getting my kids GF, low-to-no sugar, and higher vegetable intake.

A few weeks ago I had my wake up call. I had 5 gallbladder attacks within one week. I wasn't following much of anything and I felt kind of paralyzed trying to plan meals that would be primal AND that everyone would eat. So when these gallstone attacks happened I realized I would just have to eat differently myself. A lot of what I read online suggested a very limited diet - basically low-fat vegetarian with some salmon or trout. When I started looking up paleo/primal and gallbladder I was *relieved* to find so many people posting about it. There was even a blog post with scientific studies that high carb increased the incidence of gallstones, another suggesting refined sugar/flour as another culprit, etc.

That's what led me here. I've read, I've dabbled, but I've never really tried to become a part of the community and since I'm going this alone in real life, it'd be nice to have people to read and people to talk to about it. I'm slowly increasing my fat again, it's mostly some flax oil on salads and some olive oil to cook fish or chicken. I've been gluten free, dairy free, and nasty-oil free for the last 3 weeks. I am now increasing that to grain free as I figure out what I am comfortable eating for breakfast (today was smoked salmon and figs). In one study (of over 7000 people) 94% of participants had eggs be a trigger for their attacks so I am SUPER nervous about eating them, though they never were a trigger before so it's just a matter of getting over the anxiety I think.

I am 195 lbs and nursing so I have to play with my carb levels so I don't lose my milk supply. I'm on fitday tracking my daily food intake so I can measure that.

jfaw1124 is offline Junior Member
    Welcome Janelle! I'm glad to see we have so many Virginians at the party I'm in Newport News currently, but at the end of August we are moving back to the upper end of Toano, near New Kent County. I'm excited because it's much more rural up there and we'll have easier access to local produce and meats/eggs.
    Good luck with your gallbladder, and I hope being Primal continues to work out for you. I know it's really working for us!

Mike in Virginia is online now Senior Member
    Hi Janelle, and welcome. I think you've come to the right place.

An observation about eggs: for many people here, eggs are a staple, but they don't have to be. If you decide to introduce them and find that they don't agree with you, it's still not difficult to maintain a primal diet. Personally, I like eggs, but I eat them only a couple of times a month. No problem staying primal the rest of the time.

Good luck to you and yours.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Quote Originally Posted by jfaw1124 View Post
    Welcome Janelle! I'm glad to see we have so many Virginians at the party I'm in Newport News currently, but at the end of August we are moving back to the upper end of Toano, near New Kent County. I'm excited because it's much more rural up there and we'll have easier access to local produce and meats/eggs.
    Good luck with your gallbladder, and I hope being Primal continues to work out for you. I know it's really working for us!
    That sounds lovely! I live kind of on the border of suburbia and rural so I have access to a good amount of real food. It's not the best prices, but at least I can access it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike in Virginia View Post
    Hi Janelle, and welcome. I think you've come to the right place.

An observation about eggs: for many people here, eggs are a staple, but they don't have to be. If you decide to introduce them and find that they don't agree with you, it's still not difficult to maintain a primal diet. Personally, I like eggs, but I eat them only a couple of times a month. No problem staying primal the rest of the time.

Good luck to you and yours.
    Thanks Mike! I had never had an egg cause a gallbladder problem before, and I've been successful for 3 days now eating them with no problems! I'm so glad. They're farm eggs, so they are SO healthy and an easy source of protein. I'm glad I can eat them.

cmlloyd Guest
    Welcome torena - i am from the Doswell area in VA - My family doesn't follow the Primal way of eating, but you just have to stick to your guns.
    Another thing about your gallbladder - i had mine out when i was 21, if you are having issues and have gall stones i would really keep an eye on it. I had to be rushed to the ER with them i had 15 of those suckers. I feel for you b/c I know how painful the attacks are. i did end up having mine removed and you'll be glad to know that the procedure is not as invasive as it once was and the recovery is fairly quick. So hopefully you won't have to go through that, but if you do just know that your body can function just fine with out it .
    I started where you are in May and am down 10 pounds now. it can happen, I know because I haven't seen this weight since 2009. I feel better, my clothes are fitting better I sleep better.
    If you haven't read PB yet, please do yourself a favor and go get it and read it cover to cover. If you don't understand something shoot mark and email, he personally answers them
    Good luck on your journey, and don't sweat the family not playing along. they'll start to see your progress and it might change their minds.