Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Tachikomoo (cave bear emerging from hibernation!) page 5

artyscat is offline Senior Member
    Hi tachi ! Agree soo much it's much better to have a buddy along the way who started at the same time...your ideas for garden sound lovely I just love spring and the early blossom and cherry blossom..will be fab with your bulbs and timing for those is perfect you will have so much to choose from ...i love gardening and wish I could keep chickens and grow veg but I share with neighbour who would not be impressed..so have to keep the peace...still so lovely to,have that kind of space in the city I love it we also have lots of foxes who had cubs this year incredibly cute..sadly the foxes do not do that well often get mange and bad condition yep they are all eating left overs from fast food probably. I did burn incredible amount of calories according to fitness pal doing gardening so,exercise wise think its a pretty good way of going , and it's kind of playing too sort of ? What just did it formme was finding out when I done in knee all my exercising 3 gym 1 yoga 2 run pw week was doing nothing for my weight so for me more is not always = result, now sometimes take a little walk around which I am counting as moving slowly plus my housework Which I am counting too , glad it counts for something groan ! so my tentative suggestion is count things like this too ...otherwise I am doing 1 lht, 1 yoga 1 sprints (has to be on rowing or elliptical due to knee ) and I do feel more toned I think !

tachikomoo is offline Member
    hiya arty, cheers for stopping by again, I love reading your blog too, your observations about the olympics is really cool, and the stuff your hubby does is hilarious lol mine does the same thing but about totally random hobbies he picks up and then suddenly his focus is somewhere else! he's not that great with DIY but I think he's developing an interest... more useful than me at any rate!

we had a neighbour drop off some cauliflower they grew themselves, it was very kind of them! it was full of earwigs (not sure what they are called) when I cut into it though and some of the stalks had turned black inside lol so I ended up binning it, I felt so guilty and Grok would have severely admonished me for wasting food! I should have made do, but there was one in the fridge... oh well, so much for my pioneering spirit. I'm sure if I grew veg it would be full of bugs also, but I still wanna try, perhaps in a raised/covered bed area? I really really don't like bugs!!!

I also must admit I fell off the binge wagon this weekend, I still ate primally except one meal, but we got a Chinese takeaway and even though I had no rice I'm sure the sauce wasn't good at all. I wish I knew how to make good Chinese sauce without all the sugar, but I just couldn't be bothered cooking (or doing anything for that matter!), but the rest of my meals were primal and natural foods, some lovely grilled chicken in a shallot wine cream sauce, gammon steaks with swede and butter, cauliflower with a bit of cheese, and... sigh, lots of strawberries and cream. This is where my sweet tooth has gone, for sure! So, once these strawberries are gone I'm not going to get any more until my holiday end of August and even then measure EVERYTHING.

Today I'm starting over (yet again lol, but really just gotta do this!! I'm so close I can feel it!) and this time I'm going to start adding in regular IF. Thing is, with that leptin reset guide, I was meant to be eating 50g of protein for breakfast. I just can't do that, it makes me feel ill and bloated. I don't get hungry til much later, so why not take advantage of this and do an IF routine? That's my logic anyway.

So today I started with an IF routine of 16/8, meaning I fast for 16 hours then I have an 8 hour window of eating. I'll eat my first meal at approx 12pm, then my last meal at or before 8pm. So far its been OK, though I took my vitamins and stuff this morning with some green tea and that made me NOT a happy camper tummy wise, I think its the combo of taking them on an empty stomach and also drinking fluids first thing in the morning, which has never made my tummy happy! So tomorrow, I'll wait til 11.30 before I have my 'breakfast' at noon.

Today's Tracker - New and shinier with slightly different goals!

I guess its a lot of trial and error but its really difficult finding what works for me. But I'm trying to stick by Mark's theory of listen to your body and what its telling you! I have come a long way already from how I used to be, but I am excited and motivated to continue on, I just need to add something else in to get these pounds shifted. Its not fun carrying around two people's worth of weight!

for what its worth, today's fast went quite well, and I'm actually only starting to eat now at 1pm due to work interfering. I look forward to tomorrow's fast! its turning out to be easier than I thought so far

it was observed somewhere (how unscientific of me I know lol) that women typically fast for 14 hours naturally, so 16 shouldn't be too big of a stretch for me, and if day 1 is any judge, its absolutely fine I may well even only have 2 meals a day, wouldn't that be something!

trying to keep my macronutrients balanced though, today's lunch was particularly good with celery and cream cheese, ham, and brazil nuts. I am also going to try and drop my dairy intake and see if that helps my skin.

AND i did my weights again on sunday! I didn't on Thursday when I was struggling lol, but I kicked my arse in gear so I didn't let the primal ladies here do it by themselves!

tubby cat is looking more slim since we got the back garden finished, he is now spending most of his time running in and out and around, very much enjoying himself, though he is bringing us all manner of souvenirs from the garden. there was a decent size toad out the back but the cats sniffed it and ignored it and it stood very still! maybe it was stinky, but they didn't bother with it, so we just left it. no shrews yet!

yesterday was good, I had a headache later in the day but not sure why, it may be just getting used to the fasting. ended up eating 2 meals and what I ate was very carefully balanced using the MyPlate tracker and my macronutrient goals, but ended up being quite tasty as well

I'm going to try and eat more fish as I used to eat it quite a bit but its tapered off recently in favour of BACON lol, so gonna aim for at least 2 days a week to eat fish for lunch and at least 1 dinner, probably salmon. I feel good today and only 1.5 hours til I eat, this fasting thing is turning out to be fairly easy for me but the secret so far is not to feed my tummy ANYTHING or it wakes up and is hungry straight away. Little sips of green tea are fine though. As work is pretty busy when I first get in its bearable to push lunch back.

30 mins now since I started writing, not that I'm counting or anything!!

First thing I've noticed about IF is that with such a short eating window its hard to smash it full of calories, but I am staring at this tomato on my desk like it is AMBROSIA lol.

Today's Tracker

Hi tach !! Love to hear about the toad And how things are going with you

am sure toads don't taste good for puddys and lucky you to have him , I could do with a few here as my slugs n snails are outta control , devouring my plants...am on war path which mostly involves squishing as won't use anything chemical ..yuk but ha ! take that for eating my whole dahlia collection ..swines ! well done for weights seriously great and I am sure it will do,great things for you and hope can follow you if new gym is more accessible , I get nervous if my knees gives me gyp so think v sensible to listen to body and pain is definitely not ok ...hope u enjoyed your ambrosia apple ..nom nom ! thanks for kind words about the blog.... Is fun to write something else beside what I ate, even if I am fairly obsessed with that too

hihi arty, yep we're slug haters here too, are they good for anything?? can't wait til my garden is finished so that the trees grow up some more and then the birds hang out and eat all the slugs! There are loads of birds around in our garden, usually pigeons. I heard a tale that magpies or other large birds can sometimes bother cats and carry them off but I'd like to see them try that with our tubby cat! lol

Tried to do my weights yesterday and I got 2 sets into my squats before I nearly keeled over lol, I had zero energy to do anything, I just laid on the couch like a log. But that may be due to fasting or to the lower overall calories that I'm consuming, not sure which. Either way, I think I'm going to do some other exercises while I get used to the IF and lower calories.

Today I have to wait until 1pm to eat but I'm doing alright, I'm hungry but not overly so, just 1 more hour to go at the time of this writing. Fasting in the morning is going well for me in fairness, lets just hope I have the energy again soon to continue with my weights. I may need to get some of those 'branched chain amino acids' BCAA supplements, not sure what they're like but that leangains site recommends them.

Today's Tracker

been having headaches every night, I don't know if its the heat or the lack of food or if I'm just ill, but it has been really hot in the house so I've just been sipping water and occasionally taking a paracetamol or ibuprofen, in much lower doses than I would normally, and they've been helping. determined not to stop this IF routine as its really helping keep my cravings and overall calorie consumption down. I certainly feel the lack of energy but if I can just make the transition I'm sure I'll see some results.

Today's Tracker

Going out tonight to watch the Japan vs USA olympic football match, so having a glass of red ! woo

How's the headaches u poor thing ! Horrible do you think it could be body just adjusting.....? and really fantastic for sticking with IF, the only thing I noticed in case it's useful is that the post for newbies questions suggests if you are tired u need to eat more fat, certainly siobhan also told me to make sure I was doing that so you are probably on that already but just in case anyhow hope beastly headache is banished and that football was good , am not a fan but DH said that the women's game was v exciting , even colleagues hard bitten footy fans actually admitted that also...so great for the girls !

This morning Btw am feeling slightly like bloated tick (yuk!) DH treated me to Japanese meal last night which I completely adore This greedy girl ate too much ...aaaaaaaa ! The beef steak teriyaki was a bridge too far or perhaps the mackerel is salt did it .... Hope it's not don't too much damage but am def. not feeling like any breakfast...idiot I am !

hmm shouldn't have gone drinking last night haha, actually it wasn't too bad but didn't help the headache situation overly much I think you're right Arty, I need more fat! looking over my macronutrients I'm getting plenty of lean protein but not much fat at all. May need to try pork belly slices for the first time in my life lol.. I think I'm going to pick up some of that half price salmon at morrison's today for the weekend, half a side for like 3.49 not bad at all! the bones kinda put me off the mackerel and sardines a bit, but not overly much so might try grilling a whole fish on the bbq as well! heaven knows if the weather will hold.

i LOVE japanese food, it is fantastic, I just wish it wasn't using so much sugar and soy in almost everything, but in moderation it is tasty. It helped me get a good amount of seaweed into my diet to help my thyroid too!

did some sprints yesterday at lunch, felt knackered straight away haha but still functional. this morning I had to shift some heavy boxes around that took 2 of us to carry upstairs, but now i can lift by myself! progress! (the cats were not impressed by my flexing). Thinking of getting a kettlebell/learning some kettlebell exercises like you arty to just kinda generally improve my muscle tone all round, on my days off the regular weight training. just 20 mins while I watch telly or what have you, it should all help!

its now 11.30am at the time of this writing and I am sipping ginger green tea (good for sore tummies) but not hungry at all, despite eating breakfast. I wonder if my body has actually reset its leptin resistance somewhat from my previous stuff? was I leptin resistant at all? haha, or is this just mental conditioning?

honestly some days I feel totally free from the food/binge addiction. don't get me wrong, I still think about cakes and cookies and what not but I think every day I give into a cake is another 2 weeks set back, I want to be healthy and thinner more than I want to be happy with a cookie for 5 minutes! and it was an addiction, a mental one, one of comfort and reward, escape and boredom, just like smoking used to be before I quit. And just like smoking, the only way I was able to break that addiction was to want to not smoke (or rather want to not have the lovely side effects) more than I wanted to smoke.

One thing that a lot of people fail to realise is that most addicts never truly want to quit what they're addicted to, they just want to quit the bad side effects of it. They need something that must push them over the edge and it all comes down to not wanting the addiction more than wanting it in the end. I'll share a bit here, but in my younger days I was very heavy into a lot of alternative substances, and the only thing that got me out of it was my brain in the end, finally not being able justify what I was doing to myself. I did for a while replace that addiction with another (smoking, online gaming), then quit smoking, and cut way back on the gaming so that it didn't affect my life negatively, and now I need to tackle the weight I put on as a result of my earlier poor choices.

Its not too late at 30 to have a new lease on life, and finally be the person I want to be Thank you Primal (and my primal pals!) for helping me re-align my life. Lets keep it up!

Today's Tracker

p.s. sorry for the ramble lol

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I enjoyed the ramble ! And sprint workouts too ...ur going for it Tachi no wonder cats are unimpressed ! Lol Mine distain any exercise most of the time except chasing rodents and one isn't sure if it's really worth it either ! but really great you are doing all the PB fitness , I still didn't manage much playing yet I counted gardening as kinda play...

Sounds like you have already overcome so much too, having that strength not just in lifting weights is it...that's major ! I can empathise with additictive behaviour as was v heavy smoker for years and had marathon struggle to give up, found it incredibly tough, and also gained weight of course since I smoked and drank coffee , eating not a lot until I quit...anyhow it's seriously fantastic what you have achieved am sure all that can only help you on this particular journey ...I do still feel good when I think about stopping smoking if it doesn't sound too smuglike...but I think in my heart I was never sure I could so i keep it as a bit of a base to touch on when I feel compulsive urges to indulge in stuff I know isn't going to be good for me !
    Last edited by artyscat; 08-11-2012 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Typo

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast