Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Tachikomoo (cave bear emerging from hibernation!) page 4

artyscat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    You have already inspired me tachi ! Today I increased my free weights to 16kg and managed 3sets dead lifts and squats Used 10kg for other sets like lunges (have to watch the knee it hurts a bit so am careful/respectful of it...it's been a bit of a lesson that , but that nuthr story), biceps, triceps , overhead press , haven to use all dumb bells, maybe sounds pathetic but I find being the only woman in the weights section where barbells are is just too difficult but I have been using the chin up and dips machine there which is progress..been on the list for ages but have found a quieter time so can get on it...it's obviously assisted chins ups but it's a start ...i do like weights too..i have a large frame and wide shoulders so I feel able to do it if you know what I mean , I'm not v tall tho 5 4'....anyhow thanks for sharing I checked out that link and it's amazing what she achieved...looks fabulous and the workout info is seriously good...ok am going to keep on keepin on with that thanks to you !

tachikomoo is offline Member
    wow arty, that is the coolest thing I've ever been told, I am so proud of you and really chuffed you're getting so into it! i really wanna try chin-ups now, that's the bad thing about having a home gym instead of going -- no access to some of the more interesting machines. And no trees around with low-hanging branches, and I'm afraid if I try to hang from things in my house I will break them haha but getting there... keep at it, I really look forward to you reporting your progress!!

what i like about this particular exercise is that its a lot of effort for a very short time, doesn't make me sweat like a crazy person and i don't get bored -- just put a bit of music on and go HULK OUT for a minute then I'm back inside being lazy again We'll see if it works anyway!

Thursday's Tracker
    Friday's Tracker

yesterday I did an 80kg deadlift (Siobhan + 2 very tubby cats), but I honestly felt like I was going to rip my pants lol so I only did my one rep and stopped. That's another thing I like about this, its either 5x5 (five sets of five reps) or 3x5 (3 sets of 5 reps) but the deadlift is only one rep as you can injure yourself the most by doing this. So I have my bro-in-law check my form and make sure I'm not doing anything dangerously.

I also had my knee hurt a LOT when I first started, to the point where I was seriously afraid I was gonna hurt myself by keeping on with it, and the reverse turned out to be true. I started with 5 by 5 and went to 3x5 and stepped up the weights slightly slower, staying at a weight for a few weeks and then resting at least 48 hours between trying again. Also its very very important that you do your squats all the way down -- half squats, half lunges, that 'almost there' range of motion was very detrimental to my knees, only by doing full squats very uncomfortably was I able to get past that knee pain, build some muscle, and even still I had to take a week off now and then and just baby them.

I am getting over nearly 30 years of basically little or no exercise, creaky joints, and strained physique one step at a time, but slowly, slowly, my body is beginning to heal. I religiously take the omega-3 supplements daily, I should probably look at something else for joints but I don't like to go too crazy with supplements, and even still I go down the stairs one step at a time (as in both feet on each step before going on to the next) because my knees can be wobbly and I'm very cautious since most of my injury is by me hurrying or not paying attention. Baby steps, baby steps!

Last but not least as I've rambled on quite enough lol, the scale was going down again happily and today just jumped back up to 239.6... haha, there is no hope with this stupid scale. Actually, it was a Weight Watchers scale, and I think its just mad at me for going primal!

But the body measurements (and you guys!!) are what's keeping me going, plus just feeling generally better, especially if that 3cm stays off my waist.

today I am trying camembert, which I have not had before. I am waiting for it to get to room temperature. This food tracker reckons that it is, for 250g cheese, exactly 50% fat and 50% protein, and 0 carb. amazing, if true!

anyone have some nice camembert recipes? I am a cheese noob.

Hi tachi ! well seriously it is just great to have some inspiration and 80 kg....absolutely wow ! Thanks for tips re knees and form will make sure to go the whole hog with squat and lunge, i hope its time for me to try and build more strength into the joint if i can but have messed up beofre with impatience, had quite a lot of osteopathic treatment for knee, it has taken 1 year to heal and still as I say painful...best thing was my fab yoga teacher who said admit when it hurts and do not push yourself when it does, of course countless times over the years exercising would push through pain, isnt that what exercise is about ? Nompain no gain feel the burn etc.....you may have to be v patient she told me...and she was completely right totally had to change my exercise and attitude and the REAL shocker to me was that despite no running , prev ran 2/3 times pw , I did not gain any extra weight ! So WTF was exercise doing for my weight problems ? Excuse my language ...having said thata did love early morning park all to myself, watching the seasons. Nature, plants and animals, am country girl so struggle with this v large metropolis.. I .had a lot of fun on my runs...which is what I miss ..anyhow am now going to aim to go for lifting many many thanks to you...hope when new gym opens might get at bar bells, meantime will keep on with weights. BTW you can buy a chin up bar that can be put above a door am working on DH to put one up since he wants to get rid of his belly and he does no exercise besides sailing ...maybe we are mad to try but I would like to really be able to do them ...can't resist a challenge...

Just love your blog and that stoat is just fab ! If i get any pictures of stoats when on hol will post them there !

I don't have any Camembert recipes off hand as jsut eat it really ..but you could goggle this total cheese out yumfest , you can put it box and all into the oven, it will go all melty and unctuous, dip in with some carrot stick, celery, peppers etc cruditÚs....yum yum praps glass of RW too ? Ahhh heaven

Have a great w/e
    Last edited by artyscat; 07-27-2012 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Typo

hi hi arty, hope you had a great weekend i am reporting that my knees are killing me haha I must be very careful with them! I'll have to get out the foam roller but I'm also thinking of doing some stretching and stuff to try and get less stiff. Yoga maybe? I dunno, how silly is this -- I have to watch workout/training DVDs in a different language or I just think they are too stupid and cheesy to follow lol, but then I don't understand what they're saying so I may be doing it wrong!

I just heard from a colleague at work that he found it helpful before weight training to go on a brisk-ish walk for 20 mins to warm up so I may try that, cos I'm done in! also some foam rolling... sucks only having a shower in your house sometimes instead of being able to soak in a hot bath!

I don't know if I'm being too impatient or just cheating on weekends, but since I've started this journal my weight has bounced between 243 (high) and 237 (lowest), though measurements indicate over an inch lost off my waist, but i can't see it!!! well, nevermind, its still only baby steps and I'm just gonna keep at it, it IS going down, but I think I need to work on portion size now

and not eating so many strawberries and cream on weekends!! haha

Today's Tracker

Weeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllll I'm bummed, weight's bounced back up to a happy 240.6, I know it shouldn't bum me out but it is, so I've decided to go as strict primal as possible for the next few days and get my bum in gear! I've been doing this for about a month now and the only thing I've not dropped is dairy and sometimes a legume or swede/turnip side dish, but much less dairy to come and a lot more planning me thinks! I'm not going to punish myself, just regroup and keep at it!

I also think I need to do some more gardening now that my back is a bit stronger, but my knees still feel knackered from Sunday's exercise and I don't want to push them too hard. Will see if the weather holds up.

As a note, redcurrants kinda make a weird 'snacking' food as they take ages to get through very few but are quite sour!

Today's Tracker

as a side note, I'm really doing a lot better about 'binging' and I haven't touched wheat but the once, so there are some positives!

As another side note, I had to go to Asda today (the green wal-mart) and I was on my lunch break so I had to hurry, so I was dashing around the store dodging fat people and old people (or both) and my knees were holding up despite being sore, and I was neither sweaty nor exhausted with a sore back despite carrying a quite heavy basket of BACON and veggies around the shop. This from the girl who used to be exhausted and sore just walking to the store a couple blocks let alone trying to walk fast...

I think I may be expecting too much from myself and this may be why my past 'diets' have failed. I am about to go home from work and work on the garden, before I would have dragged myself home and been exhausted on the drive in. Something has definitely changed. More props to the primal WOE!

Hey tachi ! Sorry ur bummed out I do know th feeling and it ain't a straight road this weight loss journey IMO ...but from what i can see you are doing so well ! making changes and the fantastic weight work .....and not forgetting to look at the big changes in your stamina and energy levels, you mention which sound v significant ! One month is not long either well according to my bod which really likes to take its time with changes....ho hum ! Plus I always find it soooo much easier to hang onto the negative than the positive which is a ....bummer ! So pay no attention to that scale I say , go sally forth and do the primal thing and do not be deterred and definitely do not give yourself a hard time...put down that stick ! You r doing fine I think !

Thanks Arty and cheers for the comments, I'm glad we're all in this together as its really fab getting to see other folks like yourself go through the same experience and talk about how things are going for everyone, plus you are really nice and always cheer me up I think you and I started about the same time so I hope we can do great things for ourselves!

Today's Tracker

Knees were quite sore and I got distracted doing other stuff (bad me, bad) so I didn't do my weights yesterday, but I think my knees needed the rest. They feel better today so I will do some foam rolling and some stretching and pick up the weights tomorrow.

I'm also wanting to do some pushups and a pull up so I gotta work on those too, but at the moment working on lowering my overall calorie consumption, not gonna take on too much at once cos I gotta get the foundations right before I just go crazy.

On another note I'm now designing our back garden (well, the design is in place, just planning/putting in plants now) and I've decided to go with an English/Japanese theme, some native English plants with some Japanese show pieces, like the flowering cherry trees, some bamboo in one corner, and some conifers in another corner, with some climbers along the fence (good old English ivy and some honeysuckle too), also I was thinking of trying to grow a small ginkgo biloba tree as I absolutely love the leaves when they turn yellow. I'm thinking of getting the acer palmatum which will turn a lovely red in fall, the ginkgo which should turn a bright gold, and then the cherry tree, but also maybe an aspen? I don't know if those are too tall for the small back garden we have. Then some nice ornamental bushes and feature flowers, plus some bulbs. Low maintenance is key!

Inspired yet again by arty and Sio and the other fine folks here on PB, I've ordered a copy of Primal Fitness to try and add a bit more DOING STUFF into my life. Currently I wake up, leisurely make breakfast and lunch, drive to work, sit at my desk, then at lunch (as often as possible) take a ~20 min walk, sometimes sprinting, then sit at my desk again, drive home, sit on my bum, and read/eat dinner/play video games etc. 3 days a week I try to do weights, but with the slow pace I have to take with my knees, when the rest of me is fine, makes me think I could do more. Could I? I have time to do other things, there's just nothing that I'm terribly interested in.

The garden is one thing and that will help, but I'd like to have a more structured approach as I find if I don't plan, then I just ... don't do. Same goes for meals!

Today's Tracker

Busy putting together a primal meal plan for me and my folks, they're coming to visit for 3 weeks and they've agreed to eat Primal as much as possible, though I worry they'll just revert to CW after going home, but I'll try my best to make those the tastiest darn weeks
    Last edited by tachikomoo; 08-02-2012 at 08:59 AM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast